Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Family troubles

My fiance is considered the "black sheep" of his family, they refuse to admit it, but he truly.  I'm not going to head into details as to why or how he became the black sheep but the point is that we don't agree with the way his family treats him.  We, at first, decided that we we going to go to Jamaica and have a private wedding ceremony, just the two of us, then have a laid back wedding reception at a local park under a pavillion.  But recently, his mom did something to put him over the edge and decide not to have a reception at all for fear that we won't be able to enjoy OUR day because his family will be there criticizing or insulting our every move.  However, my friend suggests that we still have a wedding reception and just not invite them, stating that we shouldn't have to shelf our celebration because of other peoples actions or words.  And I'm over here thinking about how I just want to cancel the party for fear I would offend someone and cause (more) family problems we don't need.  

AND If we do decide not to host a reception, is it still acceptable to have a bridal shower thrown for me? I feel like it would be because the reception is to thank my patrons for supporting our marriage.

Re: Family troubles

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

My fiance is considered the "black sheep" of his family, they refuse to admit it, but he truly.  I'm not going to head into details as to why or how he became the black sheep but the point is that we don't agree with the way his family treats him.  We, at first, decided that we we going to go to Jamaica and have a private wedding ceremony, just the two of us, then have a laid back wedding reception at a local park under a pavillion.  But recently, his mom did something to put him over the edge and decide not to have a reception at all for fear that we won't be able to enjoy OUR day because his family will be there criticizing or insulting our every move.  However, my friend suggests that we still have a wedding reception and just not invite them, stating that we shouldn't have to shelf our celebration because of other peoples actions or words.  And I'm over here thinking about how I just want to cancel the party for fear I would offend someone and cause (more) family problems we don't need.  

AND If we do decide not to host a reception, is it still acceptable to have a bridal shower thrown for me? I feel like it would be because the reception is to thank my patrons for supporting our marriage.
    The only people you can invite to a bridal shower are those guests actually invited to the wedding.  If you elope, then you opt out of a shower.  If you have a small, private ceremony, then only those guests may be invited to a shower. 
  • Options
    Since this is his family, it's his call. What does he want to do?

If you have a small, private ceremony, it is improper to invite people to a bridal shower since they aren't invited to the wedding. That's one of the things you give up when you have a private wedding.
  • Options
    I'm confused - are you eloping to Jamaica (like just you two) or are you inviting people to your DW? The reason I ask is because if you invite people to the DW, you'd need to host them for a reception in Jamaica. If you elope, that's your wedding and there would be no reception (no guests to receive).

If you want to have a party at the park, why not get married there, host a reception at the pavilion, and do your honeymoon in Jamaica? That'd make a whole lot more sense... At home receptions are kind if AWish and just like...why?

The general rule about showers is that anyone invite MUST be invited to the actual wedding itself. So if you are truly eloping, you should forgo the shower.

Honestly, if your FI's family is THAT bad, I'd probably elope and just be done with it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    If it's a destination wedding --> you must host your guests immediately afterwards at a reception, at the destination.

If it's a true elopement --> no bridal shower should be thrown for you. Guests that are invited to pre-wedding parties MUST be invited to the actual wedding (that's the most important part!) but this can't happen with an elopement. Totally fine to elope, but they shouldn't be asked to shower you with gifts if they don't get to witness your union.

Now if you're opting to have guests.. It's totally up to you and your FI regarding who you want to invite. You said he would rather not have a party at all - how would he feel about having a small wedding and excluding them?

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

If you decide to go to Jamaica and be married privately (without guests) you do not get a wedding reception.  That is something that you give up when you decide to have a private wedding.  You also do not get a bridal shower.  The rule is that everyone who is invited to the shower must also be invited to the wedding ceremony.
    What you are considering is a party to celebrate your marriage, NOT a wedding reception.  No gifts, no wedding dress, no "first dance", no wedding traditions.  It would be OK to show pictures of your wedding and honeymoon.  Gifts are not expected.  This party is not a part of your wedding.
    Most people who have a private ceremony send out wedding announcements to friends and family AFTER the ceremony is over.  You could have someone send them for you from the USA to save money on foreign postage from Jamaica.  They are worded like this:

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date of ceremony
    Town, Jamaica

No other information should be included.  This does not mean that people should send you gifts.  You might get some nice cards of congratulations.

Yes, your wedding day is YOUR DAY if you choose to be married privately.  That is it - ONE DAY.  Not one day in Jamaica and another day when you return.  You can still have a great party.  Just don't try and turn it into a wedding reception, because it isn't one.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I guess I'm just not really sure what you're trying to avoid by going to Jamaica if you're just going to follow it up with the celebratory party back home if you do invite them. 

I agree with @southernbelle0915 - why not just getting married at the park and then go to Jamaica for your honeymoon? It seems like you really do want the traditional wedding reception, so no matter how you decide to get married, you're still going to have to figure out whether to invite his family or not -- and that should be his decision. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards