DIY Wedding Forum

Cleaning toasting flutes How to remove tarnish from a difficult to clean place?

feignduckyfeignducky member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited November 2014 in DIY Wedding Forum
I've collected a "used" set of toasting flutes on a trip to goodwill. They look very nice in person. Their only flaw is: a little tarnish/discoloration between the two materials they are made of. Tonight I have discovered they are crystal on silver by googling the designer (listed on bottom) in a research attempt on figuring out the cause of the discoloration. The discoloration is only about 1/8" thick (at most, see picture, sorry it's fuzzy + reflecting the wood table with dim lighting) at the inside top rim of the silver base.

Does anyone have ideas on how I could remove/hide that smidgen of tarnish between the crystal and silver without harming the flutes?
There are some DIY soaks with aluminum foil + chemistry but, setting that up will be tricky. The location of the tarnish, plus the flat bottom of the silver base has felt (I'd like to not destroy).

Other notes: Our table decorations will have a vintage/steampunk look. We have not started putting together/making table decorations yet. I'm not sure if they'd look too out of place modern/shiny/whatnot, until those projects are more "done", tarnish may not be a bad thing for us. The decision to actually use them or not, will have to be later but I'd like to try to clean these up. I may gift them to another engaged couple (if they actually like them, many close friends/family are getting engaged) or resell them (last option, if I could clean em up and no one wants them) afterwards if I could.

edit: fixed formatting + lite grammar fix

Re: Cleaning toasting flutes How to remove tarnish from a difficult to clean place?

• The tarnish on the silver is under the glass on the inside of the frame. That means air got into the space. If you try to put anything between that glass and frame, and don't get it all out (which seems an impossibility to me) then it will look even worse than the little bit of tarnish. If the goblet were used with milk, for example, then that opaque drink would cover the tarnish spot. So, I see no way to fix it. How 'bout a mimosa?
  • That's what I was thinking. But I'd figure I'd ask if there are any tricks I'm unaware of. We love mix drinks over champagne or mini screwdriver are a more tolerable plan. For now, I'll store them properly to keep them nice till the day of. Now I have another project - find/build a box to store them for the long term (got a workshop in basement) but that can wait.
  • Hey! lovely flutes, by the way. I found this for you:

"MAKE YOUR OWN SILVER DIP

When silver oxidizes, it tarnishes. Tarnish dips work to repair and remove tarnish from quality silver. Most commercial dips are used when heavy, dark colored tarnish cannot be removed with traditional pastes or polishes. Chemical dips are wiped on silver with cotton balls and specialized applicators, and then submerged in a chemical make up of acid and a complexing agent. You can make your own chemical dip by following these instructions:

1. Fill sink full of steaming hot water.

2. Mix 2-tablespoons salt and 2-tablespoons baking soda in bowl.

3. Add mixture to sink of hot water.

4. Cut a small sheet of aluminum foil and push it to the bottom of sink.

5. Dip silver items. Most tarnish will slide off. For stubborn stains, allow them to sit for up to 5-minutes at a time.

6. Rinse well.

7. Dry.

8. Store properly."

ref: http://www.essortment.com/clean-polish-silver-46603.html

I hope this helps :) congrats & best wishes for your union :))

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards