Getting in Shape

MAJOR HELP!

I just got engaged on the 9th of this month. Our wedding isn't until June 2016. I want to look amazing in my dress but regrettably have had a bad habit of emotional eating. I've put on a lot of weight and want to lose some. I know fast food isn't healthy but I will admit I eat it a lot. I'm a college student and work part time as a gas station clerk. My funds and time are VERY limited. So I was wondering if any fellow brides had any tips about exercises and diets that would help me lose weight. Many thanks and best wishes!

Re: MAJOR HELP!

• First off, welcome and congrats!  Happy planning!

Secondly, take a deep breathe.  

If you don't have a My Fitness Pal account, get one.  Its free and it helps track your calories and exercise.  There is a post up top with some fellow Knotties MFP usernames so we can support each other.

Secondly, if your cable provider has On Demand, there are usually free workouts there.  Youtube is also a great source.  There are tons of videos.  I also use Pinterest.  I find great tips on there as well.

Walking/Running outside is free so thats always an option.  

Pack food with you when you go to school.  I know what its like to be a college student on the run.  Pack healthy snacks.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hello and congrats on your engagement!

I understand how hard it can be to lose weight, especially with a limited budget, school, and wedding planning stress. The PP had some good tips. Also consider getting a work-out buddy--maybe your FI?Sometimes having that motivational partner is just what you need

In regards to your eating, try eating 5 times a day, with breaktfast/lunch/dinner meals, and two snacks in between. This will keep your metabolism working. Oh, and make sure they are healthy foods :) Good luck!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I highly highly recommend the previous poster's suggestion of packing food with you. Chop up raw vegetables and fruits and have them all ready to eat when you get to work/school. Bring healthy protein like hardboiled eggs and cottage cheese. Prepare a healthy breakfast/lunch/dinner all ready to go so you have it when mealtime hits and you're in class, studying in a lab, or at work. Bottom line as a working college student is that you're busy busy busy! And that means you're going to get hungry and not have the time or ability to make healthy eating choices on the fly. If you prepare ahead of time, you can have healthy food on hand ready when you're hungry rather than diving right into the easily available junk food. 

Also, it's not just that fast food "isn't healthy". It's loaded with calories. Like, a LOT of calories. They need to provide taste because the ingredients tend to be low quality. How do they do that? Tons of fat and sugar. And it's not that all fat is inherently bad, but they use the bad stuff and it's incredibly high in calories. Your body has to do something with those extra calories, and that usually means you'll put on fat. Sugar is often added to things that aren't even sweet and that extra sugar can skyrocket your blood sugar. Then when it drops off, you're probably going to feel tired and hungry. 

Definitely try a tool like MyFitnessPal to help you realize just what you're eating. Be honest on the tool and maybe that will help you see just where you're getting extra calories. Maybe it can also help motivate you to do some working out. I'm a big fan of swimming and running because they burn a lot of calories (compared with say walking or yoga). Also, building muscle doing weight lifting can help your body burn more calories at rest. 
  • Hey there! I would definitely agree with many of the suggestions made by other posters! I have to add, though, that as a college student look into utilizing the gym facilities at your school! Often times you are paying for it in your student fees and it's great if you don't have a gym membership anywhere! I know that it is tough to fit in workouts in college, but even just 30 minutes a few times a week could make a difference! Good luck! Congrats on your engagement!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards