Illinois-Chicago

Strolling Reception

HELLO EVERYONE!!
  I am new to the knot and just wanted to get some advice about my wedding.  I am having a very small wedding with probably only 30 guests.  For that reason we are having our reception at a beautiful boutique hotel in a intimate room.  I am having trouble with the strolling reception idea.  Is anyone doing this?  I like the lounge and the feel of it being casual but I don't know how well it would actually go the day of.  Any advice is greatly appreciated, and if you have any ideas of how the layout for strolling reception looks let me know.
Thanks,
J

Re: Strolling Reception

• Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I'll bite...what's a strolling reception? I've never heard of the term before.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I believe its like an appetizer/cocktail reception. One person who did this was Cruella. You might want to try paging her, but I dont think she really gets on here any more. Her caterer was Food For Thought and she was really happy with them.
  • chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're doing a cocktail reception, it would be fine.  If you're serving a meal, I would go with a more traditional type of seating.  Also, even though you'd expect people to walk around, you still need to have a seat for every rear end, and harder chairs with backs & arms for the elderly relatives who might be in attendance.
  • Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh! I've never heard of of a cocktail reception as a strolling reception before...but it makes sense.

I agree with PP about having a place to sit for every guest.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a few and I love them.  One friend had three food stations and passed hors d'œuvres.  There were large tables with chairs, cocktail tables and then small tables with chairs.  It wasn't just in one room, like the tables and stuff was near the dance floor, in the "main" room, away from the dance floor, like everywhere.  I guess the larger tables were for the older guests.  I don't think there were enough chairs for everyone but at the same time, there wasn't a lack of chairs for anyone.  Made for great mingling and some funny hook ups.

For 30 people it could be too few people as everyone would quickly mingle with almost everyone else and want to sit anyway. 
  • edited December 2011
    i think as long as people know what they are "strolling" into, then it is fine and a great idea! if i was going somewhere i would want to know if i should snack beforehand or if i would be well-fed. just my two cents!
  • alissareneealissarenee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a "strolling reception" in Charlotte a year ago.  It was probably one of my favorite receptions ever!  The reception was so elegant, and yet the strolling aspect gave it such a comfortable feeling.

The food was absolutely amazing, and there was tons of it.  First, there was a standard cocktail hour which included passed hors d'oeuvres.  After that, several food stations were set up.  From what I recall, they had a huge antipasto spread, shrimp and grits (served in martini glasses - cute), mac and cheese, asparagus, a carving station with choice of meats, etc.  I loved it bc that is how I like to eat - being free to take more of what I like and passing on things I don't care for.

I don't think there was a seat for every person, but not everyone chose to sit down.  We chose to stand at a high cocktail table.  Of course, as a consequence, I had my heels off by 9pm!
  • engelgengelg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

how are tables decorated for a strolling reception?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards