Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

photographer help

Thank you for reading this first of all!

I've looked at about two dozen different photographers. There are a few I immediately wrote off because I didn't like their gallery or they were wayyy out of our budget. But I have a few questions that should help me narrow down choices, if you wouldn't mind answering them. As of right now, I'd like to package deal for engagement session, second photographer, and about 8-10 hours coverage (rough timeline: pre-ceremony pics at 1230, ceremony at 230, dinner around 5). Budget ideally 2,000-2,500 but preferably less.

1. About how much did you spend? (Sorry really personal!)
2. Did you have a second photographer? And if so, was it worth it? If not, do you wish you would have?
3. Were you happy with your photography budget? Do you wish you would have done more or less?
4. About how many hours did your photographer(s) stay? And do you wish you had more or less hours?
5. Are you able to negotiate on prices? How would one do so?

Thank you in advance!!!
Lisa

Re: photographer help

• My photographer included engagement shoot with 10 edited images (no prints, just digital files), 2 shooters for the full day (we had no time restriction, I told her what time I was going to start getting ready and she was at the salon to meet me at that time, stayed until the end)  I got all the images on a flash drive (again no prints).  My photographer was great, her pictures came out so amazing. 
    $1,600
    2. Did you have a second photographer? And if so, was it worth it? If not, do you wish you would have? I did and yes, I definitely think it was worth it.  We got ready at separate locations so where able to each have a photographer with us getting ready and do pics of the guys/girls separately before the ceremony to save time after.   I was also happy to have shots from the different angels during the ceremony so we can see both of our facial expressions.   
    3. Were you happy with your photography budget? Do you wish you would have done more or less?  I got exactly what I wanted - full day, 2 shooters, digital images.  I made my own album afterwards online (for about $300)  Beforehand she asked for a list of any photo's I wanted to have and i wish i put more thought into it.  Everything happens so fast and while our photographer got all the shoots we asked for i realized after we didnt have a single one with my entire family (including sister in laws/niece/nephews).  We had plenty of everyone just not one of all of us together.   
    4. About how many hours did your photographer(s) stay? And do you wish you had more or less hours?   Mine meet me at the salon at 11AM and the 2nd shooter meed the guys at the place they were getting ready at 2PM, both were then with us until just about the end - my reception ended at 11 but i think they left around 1030 after cake cutting, traditional dances etc were all done.   
    5. Are you able to negotiate on prices? How would one do so? I did not attempt to, compared the the other prices I got she was more than reasonably priced and i loved her shoots more than most of the others i looked at.  I lucked out that she was just starting her own business at the time because i know she now charged more than when i booked her about a year ago. 
  • Thank you for reading this first of all!

I've looked at about two dozen different photographers. There are a few I immediately wrote off because I didn't like their gallery or they were wayyy out of our budget. But I have a few questions that should help me narrow down choices, if you wouldn't mind answering them. As of right now, I'd like to package deal for engagement session, second photographer, and about 8-10 hours coverage (rough timeline: pre-ceremony pics at 1230, ceremony at 230, dinner around 5). Budget ideally 2,000-2,500 but preferably less.

2. Did you have a second photographer? And if so, was it worth it? If not, do you wish you would have?
    3. Were you happy with your photography budget? Do you wish you would have done more or less?
    4. About how many hours did your photographer(s) stay? And do you wish you had more or less hours?
    5. Are you able to negotiate on prices? How would one do so?

Thank you in advance!!!
    Lisa

1. About how much did you spend? (Sorry really personal!) $2250
    2. Did you have a second photographer? And if so, was it worth it? If not, do you wish you would have? Yes and YES! I would not consider photogs who did not offer the second shooter as part of the package or an add on.
    3. Were you happy with your photography budget? Do you wish you would have done more or less? I am happy with it. We did a first look so we had plenty of time to take photos. As a photog myself I am super pick and don't like to be in photos, so me being happy with someone else's photos is a pretty big compliment.
    4. About how many hours did your photographer(s) stay? And do you wish you had more or less hours? My primary photog was with me for more than 12 hours. The second shooter was with us about 8 hours. It was a unique situation in that we wanted photos wight eh fireworks, so they needed to stay later than I would have otherwise requested.
    5. Are you able to negotiate on prices? How would one do so? Yes, we received 10% off bc it wasn't on a Saturday. I just flat out asked if you could have non-Saturday pricing, which was 5% off, but since it was a Wednesday, July 3rd, he gave us 10% off.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thank you for reading this first of all!

1. About how much did you spend? (Sorry really personal!) $1,900
    2. Did you have a second photographer? And if so, was it worth it? If not, do you wish you would have? No. Who knows. They probably would have sucked as badly as our actual photographer.
    3. Were you happy with your photography budget? Do you wish you would have done more or less? We went with the cheapest we could find because we decided at the outset that photos weren't important to us. Instead we wanted to budget for things like a mariachi band, the best DJ we could find, a better venue, etc. In the end, I wish we had spent more on the photographer (but not at the expense of anything else - I wouldn't have changed any other thing) because our photos are beyond terrible.
    4. About how many hours did your photographer(s) stay? And do you wish you had more or less hours? 10 hours. I don't think the time spent would have changed anything. 10 hour was more than enough for us.
    5. Are you able to negotiate on prices? How would one do so? I wasn't, because we went with George Street Photo, which is a big company that sends a freelancer to your wedding. All their packages are the same price, regardless of which photographer you ultimately get assigned. Don't do this. Just don't. Dooooonnnnn't.

Thank you in advance!!!
    Lisa

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards