Budget Weddings Forum

DIY Menu & Foodie-Bits Help?

These are the so-far ideas we've got.  We're DIY-ing, as in, we're actually doing the work and hiring a couple of people I used to know who work in the restaurant biz for on the day.  I'm NOT making family do the work (although a family friend has *offered* to make a shed-load of mince pies for us, because she can't make it due to illness, and my mum offered to make her signature lime cheesecake because it's quick to make and feeds a crowd). We're getting married in mid-December, so it'll be cold, miserable and rainy, which means COMFORT FOOD AHOY!! 

So, this is what we've got so far! Helpful contributions are appreciated, contructive criticism is welcomed!

On arrival:
Glasses of something alcoholicky - either pimms, bucks fizz, champagney-cranberry, something along those lines.
Hot spiced apple juice
Teas and coffee
Nibbly bits, nuts, olives, breadsticks, etc.

Served buffet style:
Main Dishes
Mushroom Stroganoff (made the day before)
Chicken Stew (made prior, frozen)
Beef Bourignon OR Spiced Lamb Stew (all Halal, because we've got some Muslim friends), (made prior, frozen)

Side Dishes
Baked potatoes (on the day)
Couscous (on the day, really quick to make up!)
Roasted Vegetables (herby, mediteranean style) (made day before)
Big bowl of garden salad (On the day, easy-peasy and quick)
Beetroot, walnut, feta and lemon salad (works, trust me) (prep the day before, chucked in a bowl just before serving)
Bread rolls & butter (bought on the day, in baskets)

Dessert
Mumma's homemade lime cheesecake (she offered to make it the day before, takes 15 minutes to make)
Brownies, pies, desserts, etc. from a local bakery (that we go to for breakfast every Saturday morning)

Drinks:
A choice of 3 cocktails (not sure which, probably a long-island iced tea, skittles and a grasshopper)
Wine (red, white, rose)
Beer (alcoholic, non-alcoholic)
More spiced apple juice
Soft drinks (coke, lemonade, etc)
Water
Possibly champagne, or mulled wine for toasts, depending on the arrival drinks

Cutlery will be placed in a jar in the middle of each table, along with napkins and a jug of iced water (which will be kept topped up by helpers).  A couple of bottles of wine will initially be kept on each table, then removed/topped up as and when.  Cocktails will be served, pre-mixed in jugs, into glasses by servers.

On the buffet table, more napkins and plates will be available, along with someone keeping an eye on the amounts of food in the chafing dishes.  5 chafing dishes, one for each of the three stews, one for the roasted vegetables and one for the baked potatoes (individually wrapped in foil, helpers will have placed these into the oven about 2.5 hours before serving and they stay hot forever, so no worries about H&S).  Not 100% sure whether we're using disposable plates or not (probably not, to be honest), so the helpers will do some basic washing up/clearing away and bringing out pudding while speeches are going on, first dance, the  the DJ will announce desserts are ready for those who want it, dessert, dancing etc to follow.  We'll tidy up most things and go home, and then finish tidying up the next morning (because we've hired the place for the whole weekend). 

Opinions, please? And the word tacky is banned! :D

Re: DIY Menu & Foodie-Bits Help?

• These are the so-far ideas we've got.  We're DIY-ing, as in, we're actually doing the work and hiring a couple of people I used to know who work in the restaurant biz for on the day.  I'm NOT making family do the work (although a family friend has *offered* to make a shed-load of mince pies for us, because she can't make it due to illness, and my mum offered to make her signature lime cheesecake because it's quick to make and feeds a crowd). We're getting married in mid-December, so it'll be cold, miserable and rainy, which means COMFORT FOOD AHOY!! 

So, this is what we've got so far! Helpful contributions are appreciated, contructive criticism is welcomed!

On arrival:
    Glasses of something alcoholicky - either pimms, bucks fizz, champagney-cranberry, something along those lines.
    Hot spiced apple juice
    Teas and coffee
    Nibbly bits, nuts, olives, breadsticks, etc.

Served buffet style:
    Main Dishes
    Mushroom Stroganoff (made the day before)
    Chicken Stew (made prior, frozen)
    Beef Bourignon OR Spiced Lamb Stew (all Halal, because we've got some Muslim friends), (made prior, frozen)

Side Dishes
    Baked potatoes (on the day)
    Couscous (on the day, really quick to make up!)
    Roasted Vegetables (herby, mediteranean style) (made day before)
    Big bowl of garden salad (On the day, easy-peasy and quick)
    Beetroot, walnut, feta and lemon salad (works, trust me) (prep the day before, chucked in a bowl just before serving)
    Bread rolls & butter (bought on the day, in baskets)

Dessert
    Mumma's homemade lime cheesecake (she offered to make it the day before, takes 15 minutes to make)
    Brownies, pies, desserts, etc. from a local bakery (that we go to for breakfast every Saturday morning)

Drinks:
    A choice of 3 cocktails (not sure which, probably a long-island iced tea, skittles and a grasshopper)
    Wine (red, white, rose)
    Beer (alcoholic, non-alcoholic)
    More spiced apple juice
    Soft drinks (coke, lemonade, etc)
    Water
    Possibly champagne, or mulled wine for toasts, depending on the arrival drinks

Cutlery will be placed in a jar in the middle of each table, along with napkins and a jug of iced water (which will be kept topped up by helpers).  A couple of bottles of wine will initially be kept on each table, then removed/topped up as and when.  Cocktails will be served, pre-mixed in jugs, into glasses by servers.

On the buffet table, more napkins and plates will be available, along with someone keeping an eye on the amounts of food in the chafing dishes.  5 chafing dishes, one for each of the three stews, one for the roasted vegetables and one for the baked potatoes (individually wrapped in foil, helpers will have placed these into the oven about 2.5 hours before serving and they stay hot forever, so no worries about H&S).  Not 100% sure whether we're using disposable plates or not (probably not, to be honest), so the helpers will do some basic washing up/clearing away and bringing out pudding while speeches are going on, first dance, the  the DJ will announce desserts are ready for those who want it, dessert, dancing etc to follow.  We'll tidy up most things and go home, and then finish tidying up the next morning (because we've hired the place for the whole weekend). 

Opinions, please? And the word tacky is banned! :D
    You don't mention how many people will be attending your wedding.  You also don't mention the type of facility you are using as your venue.  This scenario sounds OK if you are hosting a smaller group of people.  If you are hosting over 75 guests, this sounds risky to have only two main people manage that amount of food. 

I also would not personally recommend that you and your FI put such a burden and workload upon yourselves. 

You don't say how long guests will enjoy cocktails.  Nuts, olives, and breadsticks won't be sufficient if you are having more than a 30 minute cocktail hour.  People will need something a bit heartier to soak up their cocktails.  You also do not have a main dish for any vegetarian guests you may be hosting.  Will your venue be holding all the prepared food in their refrigerators/freezers?  If they are not, that is a lot of food to transport from point A to point B.  Are you cooking all foods on the venue site?  Do they have that many ovens?  Again, cooking foods in one facility and transporting them to another can also be risky.  How do you maintain their proper temperatures en route?

There is nothing tacky about self catering, but it needs to be done carefully, thoroughly, and thoughtfully. 
  • I prepared about half the items we had at my rehearsal dinner. I thought it would be super easy... What happened was, a lot of unexpected things come up the day before your wedding,no matter how prepared you are (I had a full wedding planner) The last wedding I wanted to worry about that day was cooking. But I had to, and in the end it turned out well.. Just know that it will add stress to your wedding, quite a bit, to do things this way.………otherwise, I think everything you are planning sounds good.
  • I do have a vegetarian main dish, mushroom stroganoff.

The venue is our local village hall, which has a full-service catering kitchen, plenty of fridge/freezer/oven/hob space.

Our cocktail hour wont last long- most of our photos are being done pre-ceremony, with only us-and-guests before the reception.

Speaking of whom, there are around 60 people attending, including 10-15 kids. Its do-able. I used to cater for 130, and once the initial planning was done, it wasn't too hard. Two people in charge, having given detailed written instructions to all members in involved, is fine. There will be 4/5 people hired, probably 5, all of whom have experience in the hospitality business.

I'm not saying it'll be easy, but food and hospitality is really important to us. FH and I are committed to this.
  • I think the menu sounds nice. A lot of work for you but nice.

I hate the drink selection though- Long Island makes zero sense to me on a limited menu. It's very strong and requires 5 kinds of alcohol. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by Skittles, but google is showing me some horrifying neon drinks that scream 21st birthday. And the grasshopper is sickeningly sweet.

I'd keep them a lot simpler. One alcohol plus soda option (gin and tonic, vodka soda, rum and coke ), one more fruity, and maybe something like a sangria. I'd also have all of these available as people arrive since many will switch to wine with their meals.
  • They were just three that I like to drink, was just thinking of ideas. Winter Pimms is an option, quite fruity. I like the idea of the basic bar, shot-and-mixer thing, though.

FYI, skittles is indeed the neon green concoction, but my god its lovely, along with being a huge hit with our friends. LI teas are my mums favourite, and grasshoppers are mine, but I like your ideas better!! Xx
  • The food all seems great. 

Keep whatever drink you have at the start through the meal, as people may want it again if they liked it. I agree to just serve all of the options at the start. 

I would definitely worry about the LI, as they are super strong, expensive, and oh-so easy to drink. 

Love the idea of spiked cider at the start (and the end) on a cold day! 
  • Yeah, just scrap the cocktail ideas!

Thanks - I think I'll have proverbial vats of drinks for people to choose from.
  • I want to know more about this Skittles drink hehe.  I love the candy and usually sweet cocktails over anything fancy
  • kvruns said:
    I want to know more about this Skittles drink hehe.  I love the candy and usually sweet cocktails over anything fancy
    Plus if I'm making a couple of pitchers, I'll chuck in some white wine.  It's sweet, sticky, my God it's strong, and so so so drinkable.  Beware.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards