Chit Chat

Yay for a short week! Thanksgiving plans?

This is probably one of my favorite weeks of the whole year - 4 days off work in a row. They're also calling for snow on Wednesday, and that always gets me excited. 

Thursday we're driving to my parents in the Poconos. We're staying overnight and driving home Friday afternoon. And after that, no plans for the rest of the weekend! I'm hoping we'll get started laying tile in the new bathroom. 

Re: Yay for a short week! Thanksgiving plans?

• Sounds like you are going to have an awesome Thanksgiving vacation!

I'm not terribly looking forward to the Thanksgiving holiday, mainly because I got shafted at work, and H and I over-extended ourselves. On T-day, we have brunch with my dad in the morning and then early dinner at H's aunt's house with the ENTIRE family. Then back to my in-laws to hang out with H's sister. Friday I have to work until 1, then go to the social security office to finally change my name there. Saturday we have second thanksgiving at my in-laws for my MILs side of the family and then off to bed by 9 pm. Sunday will be spent at the Bills game - from 6 am until god knows when. That will be a rough day for me.

• I'm looking forward to my 4.5 days off. I'm taking some holiday time on Wednesday because I have to use it up before the end of the year.

I still feel like shit, so we're keeping things low key. We are making cheese fondue on Wednesday night. We usually go to the Melting Pot, but this year, I'm just not up to it. Thursday my SD is coming over (the not sick one) and we're going to Ruth's Chris for dinner. I'm a little hesitant to be out, but I REALLY want my steak. DH then flies back to TX on Sunday :(

• Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the food, I love the general atmosphere, I love everything about it. Usually I go up north to see my family but this will be my first Thanksgiving staying down here to be with FI's family. I decided to do this before we got engaged because frankly, I need a travel break. 

But it's looking to be pretty good! FI assumed he wasn't going to be able to get off work because he took off last year to come up north with me and meet my fam, but about a month ago he realized that nobody's really asked for it off, so he went ahead and put in for it. He'll still have to work Friday but it's not that big a deal. We'll drive up to Tampa on Thursday, where his parents live. I volunteered to make green bean casserole, my absolute favorite Thanksgiving dish (so really, I volunteered to make it and then eat it all).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I LOVE THANKSGIVING! It's our fav. 

We head to our mini-moon tomorrow morning to Colorado Springs! I cannot wait! And we don't have to feel like we are missing out on Thanksgiving because neither of our families are doing anything huge this year since there have been so many fall weddings- I think everyone is sick of one another :) 

I agree with you @flutteringinftmyers I love the general feeling of Thanksgiving. It has it's own special vibe :) 

• I'm cooking my first turkey!! So might be sending FI for takeout (kidding, I think it'll be okay).

Heading to the Poconos for Christmas though :)
  • I love Thanksgiving for so many reasons. I get four (or more) days of work. We get to see family we don't see as often as we'd like (my cousin who now live sin San Diego!), the food is amazing, and it is the official beginning to the holiday season for me. I will spend Friday decorating our house, my dad's house, and helping FILs at their house, for Christmas.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

• We're doing dinner at the golf club (where we got married) with H's family. I'm a tiny bit bitter about it because while I totally understand his reasons for wanting to go (his grandparents are getting up there in age and he wants to spend as many Thanksgivings as he can with them; they live in Florida for the winter so we miss Christmas and Easter with them) he didn't discuss it with me before just deciding that was the plan. I would have agreed to go, but it just made me crabby that he didn't ask. And I REALLY miss my dad's stuffing. I haven't had it in 5 years and that is entirely too long to go without eating your favorite thing on the planet. Wah.

We're seeing my family for Brunchgiving on Sunday. I'll try to make stuffing but it's just not the same.

• Thank goodness for a short week! FI and I are going up to his parents' house. I'm going to attempt to make my grandmother's dressing and hopefully it will turn out alright. We'll stay over to decorate the tree on Friday morning, and maybe I'll bond with FMIL over some black friday shopping. Should be a good weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I took this week off of work, so I am loving this week. I am being lazy today. Tomorrow, I am going to buy the food and making it Wednesday night for Thanksgiving. I am loving the temperature today. It was almost 60 yesterday and it will be 65 today. It was so cold last week, so it feels so good.
  • I always have Thaksgiving with local friends since my retail schedule means there's no going out of town. It's nice to veg out and have a day filled with delicious food. And DH ins staying in town this year too, so that makes it even better! 

I'm very pleased that I didn't get a shift on Thanksgiving Day (my company is opening at 6pm), so I'll be reporting to work at 5am on Black Friday.
  • I am really looking forward to the long weekend. For the first time in forever I actually have the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving off. We are doing Tday at my aunt's house for my dad's side of the family (mom's was this past Saturday). I am going to make green bean casserole from scratch courtesy of Alton Brown for Thursday.

Then my folks are hosting a Tday on Saturday for DH's family and I am making a ton of stuff for that. We started the tradition of doing a TDay with both sets of parents last year and are hoping to continue it every year since his family doesn't really do anything special.

DH and I are also going to see Mockingjay this weekend and have a nice dinner out for date night. It is shaping up to be a great weekend!
  • Simky906 !

I'm pleasantly surprised I have Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday off, so doing Friendsgiving for all the hospitality friends who don't have the opportunity to go home that day. I absolutely love cooking and hosting, and I've already begun cooking and prepping for Thursday. Picking up the turkey tonight to start the dry brine!

imageimage

• Ahhhh I love TG week! Although this year, I am a bit bummed. The past 2 years my parents have joined me, FI, and his parents down at the Suwanee river for Thanksgiving and we spend the week fishing and relaxing. This year my mom said that she and my dad would be staying at their home because otherwise my Gma would be alone, and Gma is too fussy to take down to the river. She'd probably hate it there. So FI told my parents we would stay too and do Thanksgiving with them (I'd rather be fishing, but whatevs.)

So this year, FI and I are going to my parents house Wednesday night so FI and my dad can get up early Thursday morning and go hunting while us women-folk do the cooking for lunch and watch the Macy's parade. That's my one tradition. If anyone messes with it, I get super bratty about it lol. We do lunch at my parents and then we'll go to a huge family get-together that night with my dad's family. 
    We'll stay the night at my parents' Thursday also so FI and Dad can go hunting again Friday morning, and so my mom, my fussy gma, and I will go fight the crowds Black Friday shopping. I really want to get this necklace I've had my eye on get started on our Christmas shopping :)

Hooray for 3 work days!!
    Anniversary

• I generally love Thanksgiving for the copious amounts of food and wine, so this year is going to be difficult when that's replaced with copious amounts of food and sparkling apple cider (…just doesn't have the same ring, does it?). That said, I'm looking forward to the 5-day weekend and a pretty chill Turkey Day at DH's aunt & uncle's house. And I'm excited to put the tree up on Friday, too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    FI is probably going to get called in to work. If that happens, I'm going to make an appearance at the FILs for a while, and then go lounge around and eat at my parents' house.

I have a ton of shit I want to get done at the house before Friday so I'm going to be scrambling all week.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I'm cooking my first turkey!! So might be sending FI for takeout (kidding, I think it'll be okay).

Heading to the Poconos for Christmas though :)
    Woohoo! Your first turkey? That is going to be awesome :-D Any special plans as to how you will prep and cook it? Good luck!

I'm spending time with my SO's family. They invited me down to their place so we're going Wednesday evening and coming back Saturday. Woohoo! Two days off of work, I may be tempted to take Wednesday off but we'll see.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We don't have big families, so Thursday we're hosting my in laws and husband's grandma. So just 5 of us for Thanksgiving meal which is fine because I love leftovers muhaha.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday- NOTHINGGGGGG. Being lazy fucks on the couch with the heated blanket and leftovers.

@smiledamnit don't be sad about the baby booze situation! I quit drinking almost 7 years ago, and I'm super fucking excited for the Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade that I got (in a fancy champagne looking bottle).

• My last day of work at my horrible shitty job is Wednesday- I'm thankful for that!!!!

This is me and DH's first Tgiving as husband and wife! We are hosting my parents for all of Thanksgiving weekend (Wed night- Sunday) now that we have a big grown-up apartment with a guest bedroom/bathroom.

Thanksgiving day, we will cook, watch Bears-Lions and drink and eat appetizers and hang out with my parents and DH's best friend. Then we will stuff our faces and do our Thanksgiving tradition of watching Love Actually that evening. The rest of the weekend we will get our Christams tree, decorate our house, and take my parents out to see A Christmas Carol downtown Chicago. So Excited!
    imageimage">
  • Wednesday we will go up to my parents house (it the first thanksgiving my FI and I are spending together since in the past we were with our respective families, now we decided years he has his kids we will be with his family and the other years with mine.)  My mom is doing Thanksgiving for our family and our best family friends so that's always fun!  We set up a big whiskey, scotch and bourbon bar and do s'mores after dinner in the fire pit!

Friday afternoon we will go drive to NJ and pick up the kids and bring them to the city for the weekend.  Saturday my parents will come in to meet my future brother in law, sister in law and niece!  We will spend the weekend with FI's family in the city which will be a lot of fun!

• We are headed to my parents' place for Thanksgiving.  We'll leave Wednesday at some point (will depend on when H gets off work).  Here's the weather forecast

I think Friday we might go tour a local distillery.  I'm just looking forward to a weekend away!
  • My plan is to start drinking early on Thanksgiving, so that why I'll be sober when I leave for work. 

I got to make my pumpkin roll today. 

Anniversary
  • FI and I are going to start out Thanksgiving at my parents' house, then run by Walmart for a TV, then go to his mom's house for second Thanksgiving.  The rest of the weekend will probably be spent cuddling on the couch and watching TV since he's about to start a new project at work and I'll be lucky to see him sometime before we get married once that starts.  
  • My company is weird/stingy and is open on Friday. So if you want the long eekend you have to take PTO *scowl*. So I am taking PTO, but happy to have the time. DH gets home from his month long stint abroad so I can't wait to pick him up from the airport
    *********************************************************************************

• My company is weird/stingy and is open on Friday. So if you want the long eekend you have to take PTO *scowl*. So I am taking PTO, but happy to have the time. DH gets home from his month long stint abroad so I can't wait to pick him up from the airport
    That sucks! Somehow my company decided to be nice this year and we even get off the day after Christmas. 
    That sucks! Somehow my company decided to be nice this year and we even get off the day after Christmas. 
    Joy of joys, I get to be at work the Friday after Thanksgiving AND the Friday after Christmas. I got screwed because I don't have kids and we're not going away this year. I work for an insurance broker - no one else will be at work so I get to sit around and do nothing all day. At least this Friday is a half day (we follow the rules of the stock market since the parent company to mine is a financial investment company).
    Joy of joys, I get to be at work the Friday after Thanksgiving AND the Friday after Christmas. I got screwed because I don't have kids and we're not going away this year. I work for an insurance broker - no one else will be at work so I get to sit around and do nothing all day. At least this Friday is a half day (we follow the rules of the stock market since the parent company to mine is a financial investment company).
    No! That blows! 
    I will be at work the day after New Years. And I'll probably be the only one here. 
  • @climbingbrideny my boss did feel sympathy towards myself and the other girl that got hosed on holiday time off and let us choose another day to take off. She took the day before Christmas (we get out at 1 pm that day so I don't mind coming in, plus H has to work that day anyway) and I took the day after New Year's so I could have a four day weekend (since everyone else gets one).
  • We are going to my Aunt's house for Thanksgiving to spend it with my family. It is also my mom's birthday on Thanksgiving this year, so we will celebrate that, too. This means Thanksgiving food and birthday cake! I am so excited!

My company does a half day on Friday, so I will come in and probably just spin on my chair until I can go home.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards