Chit Chat
Options

I don't know WHAT my body is doing. Probably TMI

The title says it all. My body is acting crazy. I have the Nexplanon birth control implant in my arm, and I've had it since February with absolutely no problems. I haven't had a real period since April (just some spotting every so often) which the doctor said is normal. Last week, I had signs of a period but I don't know that it was the actual thing. The color was darker than usual (which typically means it's leftover lining from the previous cycle) and it was heavier this time, but never any signs of a lighter colored normal period. This week, I'm having more PMS symptoms. I feel like I weigh a TON and I'm cramping today. I don't know what in the world is going on in there. I also took a pregnancy test early last week because I'm paranoid over not having an actual period in several months and I called myself having 'cravings.' 

I'm really just whining, but if anyone has any experience or advice to offer I'd appreciate it. Or just warm fuzzies and internet hugs would be good too. 
Anniversary

Re: I don't know WHAT my body is doing. Probably TMI

• Options
    I've always stayed away from BC that promises reduced or eliminated periods, for this reason. :( Sorry, no advice. Just hugs.

• Options
    I've always stayed away from BC that promises reduced or eliminated periods, for this reason. :( Sorry, no advice. Just hugs.
    Yeah the only reason I chose this one was because it wouldn't give me crazy high blood pressure (which is why I was taken off the pill) and it had fewer side effects than the shots. I think after FI and I get married in April I'm going to research other pill options and get this thing out. I'd rather have a period every month than never know what's going on. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah the only reason I chose this one was because it wouldn't give me crazy high blood pressure (which is why I was taken off the pill) and it had fewer side effects than the shots. I think after FI and I get married in April I'm going to research other pill options and get this thing out. I'd rather have a period every month than never know what's going on. 
    I just started reading this book and I'm AMAZED at all the stuff I didn't know before, about how to know when you're fertile - whether for purposes of conception or avoidance. I'm wishing I had this years ago so I could have gone off the pill sooner, and just so I didn't feel like a 31 year old idiot who didn't know what my body was doing.

• Options
    dolewhipperdolewhipper member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited November 2014
    Yea, no help either what it could be. Not having a period personally freaks me out.

Edited: Almost forgot puppies. They're coming to save you

imageimage

• Options
    I just started reading this book and I'm AMAZED at all the stuff I didn't know before, about how to know when you're fertile - whether for purposes of conception or avoidance. I'm wishing I had this years ago so I could have gone off the pill sooner, and just so I didn't feel like a 31 year old idiot who didn't know what my body was doing.
    Thanks!! I'll check this book out. More education can never hurt, and it would be really nice to not have to wonder/worry about it.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Lowell14Lowell14 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2014
    Have you been stressed lately? I've been on this BC since 2009 and if I've been stressed, I would get a period. It would be darker when it occured. I also have PMS-like symptoms on occasion even thoughiI won't get a period. Hormones may still fluctuate while on BC.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Lowell14 I don't know that I've been any more stressed than normal. I did change my eating habits last week and drank more water that week than I probably have in the past month combined. I know that a million different things can affect hormones so that's probably what it is. All I know is that I really want to take the rest of the day off and go lay in my bed in some sweats. Booo for having to be an adult and stay at work for 4 more hours. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I've heard awesome things about the book @lolo883 linked. 

I always love when my doctor is like "Well, are you ovulating normally?" and I'm like "Uh, my phone app says I should be, so, yeah? I guess?" Man, I feel like an idiot. It's MY BODY and I have no fucking clue. 
  • Options

@Lowell14 I don't know that I've been any more stressed than normal. I did change my eating habits last week and drank more water that week than I probably have in the past month combined. I know that a million different things can affect hormones so that's probably what it is. All I know is that I really want to take the rest of the day off and go lay in my bed in some sweats. Booo for having to be an adult and stay at work for 4 more hours. 

I'm sorry you feel crappy. When you get home get in your sweats, make some tea (or something warm) and eat some popcorn :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

For those that can't take estrogen, most viable hormone BC options will reduce or eliminate periods. I'm guessing that's why OP is on implant (she said it was due to blood pressure).  I can't do estrogen due to being high blood clot risk. I'm been taking a mini-pill (Camilla) for about 4 months.  I'm just now noticing my periods getting lighter.  Although last month it tripped me up because I had light bleeding for 2 days, it stopped completely for 2 days, then came back light again for about 5 days.  After the first 2 days, I was exciting that my periods had just gotten light and really short, then my body was like, "ha, ha, just kidding!". 

Of course, hormone BC aren't the only options either.  There's always natural planning or non-hormone IUD if you need to avoid estrogen. 

• Options
    I have had Nexplanon. It is the absolute worst possible birth control option ever!

You get uncontrollable mood swings, gain weight like a new born calf, and have the most erradic periods. Either they are months apart or you are bleeding for weeks at a time.

I would definitely look at any other BC option.
  • Options
    @lolo883 I have been on birth control for 11 years straight, and mostly the kind that doesn't have periods. We want to start trying in the next 9 months and I've been clueless as to when I should stop birth control and stuff like that. I will definitely be buying this book- thank you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards