Wedding Party
Options

Between what ages is being a flower girl appropriate?

I have two neices, one is going to be 13 and the other 14 by the time of my wedding. I want to ask them to be flower girls but are they too old for that? I wouldn't mind not having flower girls at all (because I don't know any more little girls) except I already have a ringbearer. I feel as though I should have flower girls because I do have a ringbearer to balance it out.

Re: Between what ages is being a flower girl appropriate?

• Options
    I think they're too old to be flower girls.

And I think needing flower girls because you have a ring bearer is silly.  It's like having even numbers of bridesmaids and groomsmen; unnecessary and just for show.  If you want your nieces involved in your wedding, either make them bridesmaids or if they're comfortable with public speaking, make them readers.  Or you can just invite them as guests.  If you want them to be "special" guests, you can get them a corsage to help them stand out as VIPs.
  • Options
    I hady 3 year old niece as my ring bearer, I had no flower girl.

Anniversary
  • Options
    That's way too old to be a flower girl. 
  • Options
    I had a ring bearer with no flower girl. He just walked down the aisle by himself.
  • Options
    I don't think they'd want to do it and they'd see it as a "baby job". 

1) you don't need a flower girl at all (we didn't have a FG or RB)
    2) not everyone needs to be involved. it's an honor to attend as a guest. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I agree with everyone else.  We had flower girls and no ring bearer.  I don't think a 13 y/o would be too excited for a flower girl role.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else, that seems too old.   You don't need a flower just because you have a ring bearer.  I'd skip if I were you.
  • Options
    I would have been mortified to be a flower girl at 13. Way too old. Skip it.

• Options

I agree with everyone else...they are too old.  You don't need a flower girl (we didn't have one).  If you want to honor them they can be: Bridesmaids (no Jr.!), Readers, Guests with a corsage, Guest.

• Options
    Waaaay too old. If you want them sincerely to be part of the wedding party, they can be bridesmaids.
  • Options
    There's no need for flower girls or ring bearers.

These girls are too old to be flower girls and probably won't appreciate being asked to fill that role.  More appropriate roles for them would be those of bridesmaid or reader.
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, after reading over everyone's replies, I decided to ask the girls to be junior bridesmaids. as for my ring bearer, something I saw my friend do in her wedding was have the 'bearer' carry a sign that said 'here comes the love of your life' down the aisle.' He didn't actually carry the rings. I think I liked that approach.
  • Options

Thanks for the input, after reading over everyone's replies, I decided to ask the girls to be junior bridesmaids. as for my ring bearer, something I saw my friend do in her wedding was have the 'bearer' carry a sign that said 'here comes the love of your life' down the aisle.' He didn't actually carry the rings. I think I liked that approach.

Just ask them to be bridesmaids. No need for the "junior". People will know that they are younger; there is no need to point it out.
  • Options
    Just ask them to be bridesmaids. No need for the "junior". People will know that they are younger; there is no need to point it out.
    Ugh I hate the word bridesmaid. You aren't my damn maid - you're my friend. It's like - the groom gets his "men" to support him in this crazy decision to get married and you bitches?  You get to hold my train and tend to me as I get dressed. Be my honored "maid." LoL 

• Options
    anaksha said:
    I would not have a ring bearer carry a sign.  First, depending on how big your ring bearer is, he may not be big enough to hold one a sign up.

Second, many people do find those "cute" here-comes-the-bride signs to be at best redundant and at worst off-putting due to the "cutesiness."  I mean, you have a wedding march and bridesmaids preceding the bride, so it just seems like extra unnecessary stuff at best to include a kid.  And lots of little kids don't seem to like them either-every photo I've seen where a ring bearer or other kid in the processional holds a sign, they are scowling.

Ring bearers don't have to carry anything to participate.  If you don't want him to carry the real rings, then I'd just have him walk down the aisle, take photos with him, and let it go at that.
  • Options
    i have heard of mini/junior brides... maybe that can be an option. 
  • Options
    i have heard of mini/junior brides... maybe that can be an option. 
    No.  Not only is this creepy, the bride herself should be the only bride present and the groom himself should be the only groom present.  (Or if it's a same-sex wedding, then the couple themselves should be the only brides or grooms present.)  This turns the kids into "props" which is inappropriate.
  • Options
    Junior BMs
  • Options

Junior BMs

Just bridesmaids. No junior.
  • Options
    FG's and RB's aren't like salt and pepper shakers. You do not need a matching set, and you do not need one if you have the other. I have two flower girls (my nieces), but FI isn't asking his sister to pop out another boy so he can have two RB's (his nephew) to match!

I agree with the above. Junior Bridesmaids and Junior Brides are silly. Either make them full bridesmaids or honor them by inviting them to your wedding!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards