Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

'Chairless' Ceremony

My fiancee recently asked me if it was worth renting 125 chairs for our thirty minutes or less ceremony. Immediately, I said 'yes' but since then, I have been thinking it over and have mixed feelings. Has anyone been to a [medium-large, indoor] standing-only ceremony?

Marley
www.marleyjustine.com
-The Proposal
-I Said "Yes" To The Dress
-Top 10: Wedding Movies & TV Shows

Re: 'Chairless' Ceremony

• Definitely rent chairs, even if it's only a short ceremony. People will be there longer than your actual ceremony time, and you never know people's physical conditions that may make it difficult for them to stand for any length of time. 
  • Please rent chairs.
  • Thank you so much - I'm printing out these responses to show my fiancee.

Marley
    www.marleyjustine.com
  • Not only would it be super rude to ask your guests to stand, but it's not even practical unless you roped it off like a concert and/ or had really specific ushers. With a crowd that size, people wouldn't really be able to see - which is the whole point of attending the ceremony. Unless you lined everyone up and put tall people in the back....just no. I'd be super annoyed as a guest.

You don't need to get the fancy padded ones. You can get nice, white, fanback chairs for about $1.50/each (where I live). So worth it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Please do not make your guests stand! You need to have a chair for every person in attendance. 
  • I literally just went to a wedding that didnt have any chairs. It was awful. The ceremony was in a beautiful art museum and only 20 minuyes long. But we got there 15 minutes early and it started a few minutes late. And then the cocktail hour took place in the same location as the ceremony so again no chairs. So by the time we sat down for dinner it was almost two hours of standing. And I am normally a champ in heels but this place had marble floors so even the guys were complaining that their feet hurt.

Please please dont do this. It will start your reception off on such a poor note if everyone is uncomfortable and looking around for a seat.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your guests need to sit on chairs.  Sorry, but even 20 minutes is too long for people to be expected to just stand around.  It shows a lack of concern for their needs and comfort to not have chairs, benches, or pews for them to sit in.  And if they're uncomfortable from having to stand, especially in high-heeled or dress shoes, they're not going to be able to focus on the ceremony.
  • You definitely need chairs.  You have no idea what physical conditions your guests are in.  I look young, but I have RA.  Making me stand without moving, even for 30 minutes, would be very painful for me.  Guests will more than likely get to the ceremony site early as well.  

• KatWAG said:

I literally just went to a wedding that didnt have any chairs. It was awful. The ceremony was in a beautiful art museum and only 20 minuyes long. But we got there 15 minutes early and it started a few minutes late. And then the cocktail hour took place in the same location as the ceremony so again no chairs. So by the time we sat down for dinner it was almost two hours of standing. And I am normally a champ in heels but this place had marble floors so even the guys were complaining that their feet hurt.

Please please dont do this. It will start your reception off on such a poor note if everyone is uncomfortable and looking around for a seat.

This is exactly the answer I needed to show my fiancee :)

Marley
    www.marleyjustine.com
  • NO!  You must have a seat for every butt.
  • I have never been to a ceremony without seats. But one of my besties has been. She still complains about it, like at least once a year. This wedding was like 8 years ago.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    No.  Just no.

1. People will arrive early.  So it will not be "just a half hour".
    2. S*** happens.  Maybe you or the officiant have car trouble on the way to the venue and the ceremony starts late.
    3. Standing can be hard for some people.  Add in dress clothes and people with possible ortho impairments (are you really gonna make your grandma stand?).  Heck, it can be hard for even able-bodied healthy people.

Every body must have a seat.  It is not optional.  If you can't afford it, then find a cheaper venue that allows you to afford chairs. 

A good friend of mine didn't have seating at her wedding.  It was a short ceremony, but I was there 30 minutes early, they started 10-15 minutes late, and then had a receiving line that took at least another 20 minutes.  So including the ceremony, I was standing in heels on pavement for at least an hour and 20 minutes before I could grab a seat at the reception site.  Add in that it was hot outside, had to carry my purse and sweater rather than put them on my chair, and I couldn't even see most of the time...never again.  Plus they had cash bar, I discovered (should have known - wouldn't spring for chairs, should have figured they wouldn't pay for the bar).  If I ever show up to another wedding without seating, I'll probably leave under the premise that there will also likely be other slights throughout the ceremony and reception since they didn't care enough to make sure we were comfortable and could sit.

And if he's still not convinced after reading the comments here...have him get dressed up in a suit, complete with dress shoes, and go stand in place on a hard surface for an hour and see how awesome that feels.  And if you're having a cocktail hour that won't have seating either, have him do it for two hours and see if that feels better.
  • If I came to a wedding and found no chairs, I would leave immediately.  How rude!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It's absolutely necessary to provide for the comfort of your guests.

• jacques27 said:
    No.  Just no.

1. People will arrive early.  So it will not be "just a half hour".
    2. S*** happens.  Maybe you or the officiant have car trouble on the way to the venue and the ceremony starts late.
    3. Standing can be hard for some people.  Add in dress clothes and people with possible ortho impairments (are you really gonna make your grandma stand?).  Heck, it can be hard for even able-bodied healthy people.

Every body must have a seat.  It is not optional.  If you can't afford it, then find a cheaper venue that allows you to afford chairs. 

A good friend of mine didn't have seating at her wedding.  It was a short ceremony, but I was there 30 minutes early, they started 10-15 minutes late, and then had a receiving line that took at least another 20 minutes.  So including the ceremony, I was standing in heels on pavement for at least an hour and 20 minutes before I could grab a seat at the reception site.  Add in that it was hot outside, had to carry my purse and sweater rather than put them on my chair, and I couldn't even see most of the time...never again.  Plus they had cash bar, I discovered (should have known - wouldn't spring for chairs, should have figured they wouldn't pay for the bar).  If I ever show up to another wedding without seating, I'll probably leave under the premise that there will also likely be other slights throughout the ceremony and reception since they didn't care enough to make sure we were comfortable and could sit.

And if he's still not convinced after reading the comments here...have him get dressed up in a suit, complete with dress shoes, and go stand in place on a hard surface for an hour and see how awesome that feels.  And if you're having a cocktail hour that won't have seating either, have him do it for two hours and see if that feels better.
    This.  Definitely this.
  • edited November 2014
    I was a guest at a chairless ceremony once, ceremony was only 15 minute long outdoor wedding & it was miserable. I couldn't wait for it to be over.
  • Shit, I wanted to sit during my ceremony, and I was excited and talking and generally active during it. I can't imagine just watching it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards