Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

To do a wedding video or not

My Fi and I have a very strict wedding budget and want to spend most of our money on the venue, food and photos. So I am wondering if doing a wedding video is really needed or worth it. Has anyone opted out of the video and then regretted it later? 

Re: To do a wedding video or not

• Although I have no idea if I will regret it down the road, I'm opting out of wedding video.  We are also working with a tight budget so we would have had to cut back somewhere else to find the money for video.  I do have to say, a couple of my friends opted for it and I watched it with them.  They came out really nice but I couldn't wrap my head around paying a large amount for something I'm not going to be watching every day.  I know that photos can be made into albums, and put in picture frames so that's something I can wrap my head around.  I have considered WedIt (https://www.wedit.com/) which would possibly be a cute idea to have guests taking video throughout the night and leaving messages.... but I'm still on the fence with that idea.

I have lots of friends who decided against doing a wedding video, and they seem pretty content with their decision (although they have only been married a short time)
  • Thank you. I feel the only reason I would want the video is for many years down the road for our kids to watch when they are older(once we have them lol) and for milestone anniversaries. But I am more into photos and love scrap-booking. 

• Well, there's no guarantee the DVD they give you will still be able to be played in 50 years. My parents would have had VHS and now those things seem ancient and difficult to play with the changes in technology.  

My parents shared their wedding album with me and part of me wishes they had a video, but their pictures are amazing and I love looking back at their album with them.  

I think either way, you will be happy.  

Maybe you can get a few special moments on someones smartphone and have them send you the files.  Like reading the letters you write each other the day of while getting ready. That way you have something to look back at.  

That's why I like the wedit because it gives you a mashup of little memories from your wedding day. Still kind of expensive though.  You could just purchase one of those camera online and have it passed around at the wedding.
  • The technology issue also crossed my mind. I think its just something I am going to pass on. Thanks for you ideas for alternitives though.

• I didn't get a video and do not regret it.  It would have been nice to have to watch probably once.  the day went to fast and so much is a blur, I wouldn't mind watching it, but I know we'd never watch it more than that.  Also, I loved our photographer, who captured so much that I look at the pictures all the time.  I am satisfied having only those.  
  • We made a last minute decision to add a video to our photo package. We wanted to have something to show our kids and pass on. But I wish to god we hadn't because our videographer was a f-ing nightmare. We spent almost two grand to have an f-ing psychopath at our wedding. Clearly, I am still super bitter about it and I haven't even seen our footage yet. 
  • We went back and forth with this too - a lot of the videography options were really expensive and on top of that, I really got  sick of watching the same old cheesy boring wedding videos.  Ugh.

But...I found a crazy awesome alternative and I'm so glad I did it.  On top of that, it turned out to be extremely fun and the process turned out to be super easy.   If you're on a tight budget, I would recommend a DIY option.  We used "WeddingMix" by Storymix media.  There's a ton of options that you can use that will fit your budget pretty nicely, and our guests and friends got really into it.  I was able to combine footage from our cameras too and I'm working on putting it together right now.  They have a really nice support system as well and are really responsive so if I ever get stuck they're really quick on replying.  They're really nice to work with.  I love this option, and I can make the video "my own".  I discussed "my vision" with my friends who shot the video and the footage they captured turned out great.  And now, I'll have a fun video that I can send out to some of the older people that weren't able to make it to my wedding.  AND I was so surprised how teary eyed I got when I was re-watching the footage again. There were so many things and details that I missed on the day because everything went so fast.  Its also really awesome to see all of the raw footage they captured of our guests that I didn't see.  You get a copy of that too.  And trust me, its hilarious.  It made the day so much more meaningful and I'm so glad I did this.

My pictures turned out great too - but, it turns out its really cool to have some video moments.  After all the time and energy we put into this one day, I'd say its definitely worth it to have a video to supplement it.  I'd be pretty mad at myself if I hadn't done this. Hope this helps!
  • jenijoyk said:
    We made a last minute decision to add a video to our photo package. We wanted to have something to show our kids and pass on. But I wish to god we hadn't because our videographer was a f-ing nightmare. We spent almost two grand to have an f-ing psychopath at our wedding. Clearly, I am still super bitter about it and I haven't even seen our footage yet. 
    Oh Lord... Not being nosy.... well ok a little but what went so wrong?

• strinkr said:
    We went back and forth with this too - a lot of the videography options were really expensive and on top of that, I really got  sick of watching the same old cheesy boring wedding videos.  Ugh.

But...I found a crazy awesome alternative and I'm so glad I did it.  On top of that, it turned out to be extremely fun and the process turned out to be super easy.   If you're on a tight budget, I would recommend a DIY option.  We used "WeddingMix" by Storymix media.  There's a ton of options that you can use that will fit your budget pretty nicely, and our guests and friends got really into it.  I was able to combine footage from our cameras too and I'm working on putting it together right now.  They have a really nice support system as well and are really responsive so if I ever get stuck they're really quick on replying.  They're really nice to work with.  I love this option, and I can make the video "my own".  I discussed "my vision" with my friends who shot the video and the footage they captured turned out great.  And now, I'll have a fun video that I can send out to some of the older people that weren't able to make it to my wedding.  AND I was so surprised how teary eyed I got when I was re-watching the footage again. There were so many things and details that I missed on the day because everything went so fast.  Its also really awesome to see all of the raw footage they captured of our guests that I didn't see.  You get a copy of that too.  And trust me, its hilarious.  It made the day so much more meaningful and I'm so glad I did this.

My pictures turned out great too - but, it turns out its really cool to have some video moments.  After all the time and energy we put into this one day, I'd say its definitely worth it to have a video to supplement it.  I'd be pretty mad at myself if I hadn't done this. Hope this helps!
    Thank you for the info. I am actually hearing alot about weddingmix. I will look into this.

• We skipped the video and don't regret it. Instead, we sunk a lot of money into photography. Now we have a beautiful wedding album. We're just not video people so it was never a priority for us.
  • glitch104 said:
    jenijoyk said:
    We made a last minute decision to add a video to our photo package. We wanted to have something to show our kids and pass on. But I wish to god we hadn't because our videographer was a f-ing nightmare. We spent almost two grand to have an f-ing psychopath at our wedding. Clearly, I am still super bitter about it and I haven't even seen our footage yet. 
    Oh Lord... Not being nosy.... well ok a little but what went so wrong?

He just turned out to be a total nut job. He made creepy comments and made my guests and my bridesmaids uncomfortable. We caught him secretly taping a super private conversation between my BM and me about, of all things, breastfeeding. We caught him taping teenage girls walking down the street outside our venue. He made a super lewd comment about me to a guest. He would disappear for long periods of time, and then show up on the dance floor, partying it up, video equipment nowhere in sight... I could go on and on.
  • JeniJoy- Omg what a weirdo! How fucking gross. I couldn't imagine having such a private conversation being recorded. EWWW. God I hope your video atleast comes out decent. 

• Right? So much EWWW.

So, for everyone looking to get a wedding video make sure you choose a company that allows to meet with the videographer ahead of time, before you sign your contract. Ours didn't (you sign the contract and they just send who they send), and I'm sure that if we had met him earlier we would have easily caught wind of the creeper vibe and gone with someone else.

• Have you considered contacting the company he works for about his behavior? I would! But I am one who is a letter writer/reviewer for both good and bad service/experience. If I am paying for something I expect a level of professionalism. I have written many a letters/reviews and even made calls when the service was outstanding, beyond what was expected and I hope those people were praised/rewarded appropriately. As for those who were on the opposit end of the scale, I surely hope they were reprimanded. 

Who knows maybe others have complained about Mr. Creeper and he is on his last warning.

• This is actually something FI and I haven't even considered. We both kind of just assumed that we aren't going to do it and moved on. Although I think it might be a nice keepsake item, my future BIL and his wife got married about 6 years ago and watched their video the day they got it but that's it. They haven't looked at it since and don't even know where it is. If it's something that you truly want, then go for it, but I personally think that it's a waste of money. If there are a couple key elements (such as vows and first dance) that you want on tape, you can always ask a family member or friend if they'd be willing to tape it for you if one of you own a video camera. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wasn't planning a wedding video either because of a tight budget. Then on day on FB someone posted their 10 min wedding video and it was AMAZING! I cried and I barely knew this people.10 minutes was a perfect amount that it captured so much and it never got boring.

So I reached out the girl and gave me the contact info. Come to find out it was someone who went to my highschool and he gave me an unreal deal ($450).This is something he does on the side for friends and family. I did negotiate his original price down a bit as we did go to the same highschool and I said I would be sure to refer him too all the people I know getting married.

He gave me a 10 min vid and a 30 in vid. The 10 min is what I shared with everyone and have watched..... like a million times. I just love it so much! The 30 min one is great too because it has the whole ceremony, toasts, cake cutting etc. I have watched that one a few times and shared it with relatives that couldn't come!

I ended up not loving my pictures and without this video would have been pretty upset! I think its one of those things that you don't miss it if you don't have it... but I can't imagine NOT having it now! I'll PM you a link to it!

Anniversary
  • We didn't even THINK about a wedding video when we were planning our budget, but when J's dad found out we weren't doing one, he took it on as a pet project - and now, having seen it, I'm so glad he did.  There are so many details about the day that I don't remember specifically, but with the video I get to see them again.  Totally worth it!
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Yes, if you're spending thousands of dollars and pouring months of planning into what will hopefully be the happiest day of your life then you're going to want to relive your wedding day and share it again and again. Yes, they can be pricy but with a little bit of research you could find a great gem that will serve to be priceless for years to come. Take it from me, a real bride who almost skipped hiring a videographer and now is forever grateful I didn't. http://vimeo.com/m/110931938
  • What company did you use??
  • rafaelp said:

This is why I don't recommend video. You end up with this!

This will not happen with a reputable videographer, as the caption say :smiley:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• A regular videographer was out of the budget for my fiance and me, so I wanted to use one of the semi-DIY type services as well. (I've also been to a wedding before with kind of a weird videographer!!!) So anyway, I compared the quality of video online (samples) from StoryMix and Wedflik (as well as a few other sites), and in my honest opinion, StoryMix had the BEST quality videos with the nicest editing! And the prices are pretty similar, and StoryMix adds in the seamless app integration, which is cool.  But primarily it was seeing their video sample that definitely swayed me in their favor, and their customer service is super friendly and accommodating in my experience thus far. I wasn't originally planning on having videography, but now I'm really glad that these types of services will make it possible financially. I'm excited to use StoryMix, and I'll let you all know how it turns out!
  • @photokitty - zombie!
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards