Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What to get an older couple for their second wedding?

Hi everyone!
  I am going to cross post this on the second weddings board too. My husband's aunt is getting married to her second husband. Her first husband was my husband's uncle and passed away a few years ago. She is in her 60s, has a great job, a gorgeous home, and pretty much everything you would buy a couple at their first wedding. She is not registered anywhere, and we are invited to a "cake & drinks" party after the wedding. What would you get for this couple? I feel like cash would be awkward, they are more established than we are, and would like to get them a gift, but have no idea what to get!

Thanks in advance!
Our beautiful engagement pictures imageMy Bio... returning from hiatus

Re: What to get an older couple for their second wedding?

• Options
    Do you know of a restaurant they like? Maybe a gift certificate.
  • Options
    If they're not registered, I'd definitely go more for experience-based gifts than physical items. Could you get them tickets to a play or something they might enjoy? Any local events? Or, like Climbing suggested, restaurant gift cards are awesome. Maybe a nice bottle of wine, if they're wine drinkers and you know their taste? 
  • Options
    Because of the age and their history. I second the choices above, experiences and time together. If you live close, a perhaps gift of service: You could come over and do a day of yard work/handman/cleaning/organising, or host a nice dinner for them at your home. 

A number of my older cousins had 1st/second weddings last year. I know it's not identical age-wise, but they both had established homes. One announced their sm. destination wedding to everyone, then hosted a much later celebration at home, the anouncement noted attendance was the gift. The other was very active in a charity/hostpital, they had set up an location to donate in their name. So ask around and there may be something set-up or brewing. If not, maybe you can find some family to team up with to build a few interesting date nights for them. 
  • Options
    Booze is my go-to in this situation. We just went to a wedding for my uncle and we brought them a giant bottle of nice champagne in case they wanted to have it in their suite while they got ready with their wedding party. I don't know if they did or if they brought it back home with them to enjoy another time. Either way, super easy.
  • Options
    What do you know about their personal interests?  If you know of anything specific that they enjoy, then I'd look for something in keeping with that interest that's affordable.  If they're not drinkers, they won't appreciate booze.
  • Options
    Do they like spas?  You could get them a couples massage.  I like the idea that others mentioned about a restaurant gift card, or just a nice bottle of wine or champagne.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards