Chit Chat
Options

For couples who got married after less than a year of dating?

2»

Re: For couples who got married after less than a year of dating?

• Options
    I've never heard such a thing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Hmmm something else is lurking under those rocks...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've never been super social and saw my friends rarely before getting married/engaged. So if you ask my friends, they might say that I "dumped" them for my relationship. I suppose I kind of did, but I only saw them about 1-2 times a quarter anyway.

I'm just really a homebody.
  • Options
    Why are you rushing to get married? I'm not suggesting that under a year is moving too fast for everyone. My best friend's fiance proposed when they'd been together for 8 months (and he'd had the ring for 3 months at that point), and at no point did I or any of her family think it was too soon. But between the texting thread and this one, it's clear that you aren't ready to marry this guy, so why the rush?
  • Options
    Between this thread and the texting thread, I'm afraid for your welfare, OP.

We got engaged after a year of dating. If anything, we make more of an effort to see our friends because with busy lives, and friends with kids, it's that much harder to make plans. 

• Options

We got engaged after a year of dating. If anything, we make more of an effort to see our friends because with busy lives, and friends with kids, it's that much harder to make plans. 
    I haven't read anything to give me the impression this is being forced by the FI. I think OP is just getting some really terrible advice from some horribly immature and/or misinformed people. A controlling FI wouldn't say "you'll have a change in mindset after we get married and want to dump your friends."

• Options

I haven't read anything to give me the impression this is being forced by the FI. I think OP is just getting some really terrible advice from some horribly immature and/or misinformed people. A controlling FI wouldn't say "you'll have a change in mindset after we get married and want to dump your friends."
    OT: I'm so jealous of your new siggy!!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I honestly have to wonder why someone would want to get married if that means losing all of your friends. I love DH...but seriously? No friends? That would make for a terrible marriage!
  • Options

I agree with other PP's that this is a maturity issue. I have been with my SO for years but we've only been living together for the last year and we also have a 1 year old son and because of these major life changes, the dynamics between our close friends may have changed a bit, and we may not see them as much as we did before we were living together with a baby but we still make time to see them when we can and speak to them pretty regularly. We are all there for each other for major holidays and life events and no one feels as though they've been "dumped" we recognize that we are adults dealing with important life events. One of my best friends has been living out of state since 2006 when we graduated high school, she's been pursuing her DVM and that has taken her around the country for schooling but when we get together it's as if she never left.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Well I don't know about you all but I just sit at home all day waiting to please FI in anyway he sees fit. No time for friends when I'm giving on demand blow jobs and ironing his underwear. Friends just get in the way.

Yes this is sarcasm. I'd never iron underwear.
  • Options
    Ugh I actually lost the girl who I *thought* was my best friend (obviously not) upon getting ENGAGED. I'm not even married yet. I had already been living with FI for 2 years (dating for 3) before I even met her. My lifestyle has not changed one iota since getting engaged, and I don't expect it to change much until we decide to have children (IF we decide to have children), which will be a few years down the road. Said friend INSISTED that every person she ever had that got engaged because so focused on being married that they cut off all ties with their pre-marriage friends. I haven't been "wedding crazy" so I don't think she got annoyed with me losing myself in my wedding planning... it was sheer paranoia I think... not quite sure.
    I think how much you change and how much your friendships change depends on a lot more than a marriage certificate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards