Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement Party

Hi, I'm looking for opinions. I am planning on having an engagement party with just family and close friends. My family and my fiances family have not yet met and this will be the first meeting. My family thinks I should get a DJ but I am hesitant to keep to just an MP3 player and speakers. Anyone have any input on what they did, I want the families to be able to mingle and I think the DJ will make it too loud.

Re: Engagement Party

• Well you, as the bride, shouldn't be throwing your own engagement party.  If someone offers to throw one for you then that is cool, but you shouldn't throw a party in honor of yourself.

As for the DJ/iPod thing, well it really depends on how large of a party that is being planned and also the atmosphere you want.

• The DJ could just turn down the volume, but it would basically be background music. Why pay someone else to do that? If you wanted to have a dance party that might be different, but if you're just introducing everyong I think an ipod would be fine.
  • Honestly if it's just for your families to meet, I wouldnt' have your friends there at all.  Can't you invite everyone to your home to meet instead of throwing a party?  (For the record, I think it's wise to have the parents meet just at a dinner with them, you and your FI prior to involving other people.)

• It depends on the group.  For my family and my FILs, the party idea would be much better.   My FILs are a nightmare and it would be much easier with other people there to diffuse the situation and not have the whole thing be about them meeting each other.  Again, every family is different but the idea of having just my parents and FHs parents sitting down to dinner together makes me feel sick.  Them just in the same room at a party?  Not so bad.
  • jmj6775 said:

Hey - feel free to throw yourself an engagement party... if we waited for people to do everything for us, it would be last minute and probably not exactly what we envisioned.

My opinion is the DJ would be a little much, but you can do the ipod hookup and speakers, it's cheaper and you don't need someone to man it.

There's a fabulous venue in Plano, TX  Called The Gallery Event Room. It holds upto 120 guests, but it can be split up for a really intimate setting also. It's used for both a ceremony space and reception and engagement parties as well. It comes with linens, tables and dark brown Chiavari chairs included in the price - it has a full size kitchen and no charge for catering to be brought in. The prices are awesome - during the week $1300.00. Friday & Sunday $1800.00 and Saturdays are$2,300.00.

Also they have a partnership with Aloft Hotel which is a division of Starwood Hotels - including W. I believe the discount with venue is $89 a night and it's super nice and just a zip away. If you're interested in viewing the venue, reach out to Jennifer.thegalleryeventroom@yahoo.com or call 469-328-1529image469-328-1529.

For additional pricing they offer floral/décor and Day of Coordination for engagement parties, birthdays, weddings and receptions, Mitzvahs... etc . :) Hope this helps!!

Or you just don't have an engagement party which isn't the end of the world.  You don't throw parties in your own honor.  Just like you wouldn't throw a bridal shower for yourself or a baby shower for yourself you also wouldn't throw a party to basically congratulate yourself on your engagement.

As for the second bolded portion, this smells a bit vendorish which is against the TOS.

• jmj6775 said:

jmj6775 said:

Hey - feel free to throw yourself an engagement party... if we waited for people to do everything for us, it would be last minute and probably not exactly what we envisioned.

My opinion is the DJ would be a little much, but you can do the ipod hookup and speakers, it's cheaper and you don't need someone to man it.

There's a fabulous venue in Plano, TX  Called The Gallery Event Room. It holds upto 120 guests, but it can be split up for a really intimate setting also. It's used for both a ceremony space and reception and engagement parties as well. It comes with linens, tables and dark brown Chiavari chairs included in the price - it has a full size kitchen and no charge for catering to be brought in. The prices are awesome - during the week $1300.00. Friday & Sunday $1800.00 and Saturdays are$2,300.00.

Also they have a partnership with Aloft Hotel which is a division of Starwood Hotels - including W. I believe the discount with venue is $89 a night and it's super nice and just a zip away. If you're interested in viewing the venue, reach out to Jennifer.thegalleryeventroom@yahoo.com or call 469-328-1529image469-328-1529.

For additional pricing they offer floral/décor and Day of Coordination for engagement parties, birthdays, weddings and receptions, Mitzvahs... etc . :) Hope this helps!!

Or you just don't have an engagement party which isn't the end of the world.  You don't throw parties in your own honor.  Just like you wouldn't throw a bridal shower for yourself or a baby shower for yourself you also wouldn't throw a party to basically congratulate yourself on your engagement.

As for the second bolded portion, this smells a bit vendorish which is against the TOS.

Ummm.... ok. I had my event there, sooo, yeah... sharing my experience. Thought that's what we did here.

Also, that's your opinion... not everyone is conventional and traditional  these days. Girl... if you want to throw yourself a party... then by all means - do it wholeheartedly and guilt free!!! The people that love you will understand.

My husband and I had a Bon Voyage party which was a wedding shower for ourselves because my mother messed up my wedding so badly I had to cancel the big one. We went on a cruise and got married just the two of us in Mexico... and you know what MAGGIE, all 100 people showed up to our party and they congratulated us on stepping outside of box. The invitations specifically said help us celebrate our love for each other -- AND we asked instead of bringing presents, if they felt the need, to do something to donate to their favorite charity instead. We had a blast and it was the best send off ever. No one else could have planned it better... because we know ourselves best AND WE TOOK PRIDE IN CELEBRATING OUR LOVE FOR EACH OTHER - HECK YEAH you can throw yourself a party for whatever reason and never feel guilty about celebrating your milestones. :) As a matter of fact...  I celebrate myself everyday... it's called loving yourself!Thanks for sharing!

I just can't...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards