Flowers
Options

Flower Petals

I am really envisioning flower petals lining the aisle, similar to the picture (we are going to use lanterns in alternating sizes and white petals). We have a pretty short aisle, about 10ft. We just got a florist quote last night and for about 250 roses, they've quoted $340 which kind of surprised me-just for petals!! 

I tried to find some information online to see if it would be significantly less expensive if we bought bulk petals ourselves. I searched around and found information that the average rose has about 20 petals- does that sound accurate? 250 roses x 20 petals = 5,000 petals. BJs has 5,000 petals for under $80 but NO information about how to figure out how many you might need (like a quantity calculator). I found two other online sites (not sure about reputation) that had similar quantities in the $270 range. BJs is soo much cheaper that I feel like there must be some sort of catch.... 

Any insight or advice?

Re: Flower Petals

• Options
    Well getting 250 roses for $340 is actually a pretty good deal because that comes out to $1.36/rose and roses typically cost (in my area) about $2.50-$3.00/rose.  And even though you are just using the petals doesn't mean you don't pay for the entire flower.  Also, when going through a florist, you have to remember that you are also paying towards over head costs and labor (someone has to pull off all those petals)

As for how many petals are on a rose, I really have no idea.  But when it comes to scattering petals down the aisle, you should always buy more then you think you may need because 5,000 petals may seem like a lot, but when you are scattering them close together like in your picture, that 5,000 won't go as far as you may think.  So if you buy 10,000 and then don't use them all on your aisle then you can have them scattered elsewhere like on your reception tables around  your centerpieces.

• Options

I started looking into petals for my wedding but ended up doing a chruch ceremony and didn't want deal with set up/clean up.    I was looking at http://www.fiftyflowers.com/product/Choose-Your-Colors-Rose-Petals_20.htm 

They sell 6,000 for 139.99 or 12,00 for 199.99.  in their description they have a guide as to how many inches it should cover. 

I used a florist for my flowers but I know someone who bought through fiftyflowers and had no issues with them arriveing on time and fresh. 

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    For the image you gave (petals lining the sides of an aisle) my florist (in CT, and she gave me fantastic prices) quoted $50. The expensive florist I spoke to quoted $100.  (the expensive florist quoted me over a$1000 more than the florist I chose, for less things)

ETA: I didn't specify rose petals. Just... white petals.
  • Options
    Rose petals are an easy way to add a romantic touch to your wedding, for sure! You can buy packages in bulk online (approx.$14.99 for 400 rose petals in your choice of color).  You can definitely scatter them along the aisle, but you can also use them around your centerpieces or to dress up a gift or refreshment table for added flair. You can also use them to make patterns on the aisle runner, such as your monogram or a motif that is significant to you. I've attached a few photos to inspire you! Good luck!
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards