Honeymoon Discussions

All inclusive honeymoon ideas?

My fiance and I are trying to find a good all inclusive type honeymoon that isn't going to cost us an arm and a leg. Neither one of us are beach people and that seems to be mostly what's out there. Cruises are also an option, but nothing in the Caribbean or Mexico (since it's beachy) unless the cruise ship is just that awesome where it wouldn't make a difference! 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: All inclusive honeymoon ideas?

• Do you have a budget? When are you going? Where are you flying from? 

Last year, H and I did a Mediterranean cruise that stopped in some amazing locations (Lisbon, Gibraltar, Barcelona, Marseille, Monte Carlo, etc.) 
  • Without knowing what you are into, here are some non-beach (mostly moutain) ideas:

Vista Verde Ranch in Colorado Springs, CO

Dunton Hot Springs, Dolores, CO

Twin Farms, Barnard, VT

Leaves and Lizards, Costa Rica

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • That Mediterranean cruise sounds awesome! I'll check it out.

We've been looking into mountain type resorts too since that seems to be the only other option we've seen besides a beach resort. I wouldn't be opposed to staying at a beach resort as long as there was a ton of other things to do there. I don't know a whole lot about those places so it could still be amazing!
  • There are not many all inclusive resorts that aren't on beaches. There are practically none in the US and the ones that are (like CO, WY) do not include alcohol for liability reasons.

When I was a teenager, we took a cruise through the Panama Canal. It was neat because the places that it stopped like Colombia and Costa Rica were not beach days they were more jungle excursions. I have been to the Mediterranean (not on a cruise) and it was amazing so that's a good suggestion too! I've stayed at an all inclusive in Morocco when I was a teenager and that was neat. Explore the town, and the sand dunes on the ocean.

• When FI and I were looking, we ran into some all-inclusive "adventure" resorts in Belize. I know you said nothing in the Caribbean but one of the ones we were considering was in a cocoa plantation and kind of rainforesty in St. Lucia. I think it was called Boucan.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cruises are not all inclusive.  Read the sticky I wrote at the top of this board.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Cruises are not all inclusive.  Read the sticky I wrote at the top of this board.
    Most offer drink packages. They can be pricey but worth it if you're a big drinker. My husband and I don't drink so cruises are essentially all inclusive for us.

• edited December 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Cruises are not all inclusive.  Read the sticky I wrote at the top of this board.
    Most offer drink packages. They can be pricey but worth it if you're a big drinker. My husband and I don't drink so cruises are essentially all inclusive for us.
    Ditto. When we sailed on the QE2, we had a wine package. They had quite a few packages to choose from. 

ETA: They also allowed you to bring alcohol on board. I believe there was a small corkage fee. 
  • The safari we went on in South Africa was all-inclusive...but even if you went with a less expensive place, it might still cost "an arm and a leg."  Without knowing your budget it is really hard to offer suggestions. 

I know there are several spa-type resorts that are all-inclusive in places like Arizona, if that's what you're looking for.  But really 99% of true all-inclusive resorts are on beaches.  Cruises are a close second (but don't usually include alcohol).

• What's considered an arm and a leg to you?  Most AIs are beach-themed, though cruising comes close.  We did a river cruise which was a nice change from the big ships.  All meals and drinks included and many excursions included.  Not something you get from a big cruise ship.  

And because you're on a small ship, you cruise the rivers and often dock right in towns and cities where you can just walk off and sightsee or shop, often not the case in non-beachy ocean cruises (the center of Rome is about 1.5 hours from where the cruise ship is docked!)

River cruises are usually pricier than an ocean cruise (though I've seen some fantastic deals over the past couple of months), but not sure what your budget is.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Ditto. When we sailed on the QE2, we had a wine package. They had quite a few packages to choose from. 

ETA: They also allowed you to bring alcohol on board. I believe there was a small corkage fee. 
    Sorry, but this is incorrect.  You are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per person.  Hard liquor will be confiscated.  Here is the contract wording:
    "Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage. A corkage fee of $20.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage. Carrier reserves the right to remove alcohol at the gangway should it determine that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of Guests may otherwise be compromised."

We aren't big drinkers, which is why we don't mind the alcohol being extra.  Remember, flight costs, excursions, tips ($24 per day), and cover charges for specialty restaurants are not included, either!  These do add up, so don't assume that your cruise is all-inclusive.

The cost of the drink-inclusive package on Carnival cruise lines (includes Princess, Holland America, Cunard) is $98 per couple per day!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited December 2014
    Ok. I'm wrong. You're right. YOU WIN! Hooray! 

ETA: This is what Curnard's website says:

Passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine OR champagne per person (over the age of 21) on board, however all passengers should be aware of the below policies 

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your cruise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

• Not to push doing something against the rules- but you can get alcohol on a cruise ship if you get creative.  I did a 1 night cruise to no where so I'm not sure if it would work on longer cruises, but I just filled a bladder (this one was actually a pouch you could fill with liquids that you can buy at BBB or REI) and just make sure to get the air bubbles out.  Then pack with toiletries and you are all set.  The worst that could have happened to me is the confiscated my pouch.

Just a tip that I learned so you can avoid the expensive drinks on the ship.
  • Also, I hear Alaska cruises are amazing.  When do you ever get a chance to say you've been to Alaska?
  • kk111415 said:
    Not to push doing something against the rules- but you can get alcohol on a cruise ship if you get creative.  I did a 1 night cruise to no where so I'm not sure if it would work on longer cruises, but I just filled a bladder (this one was actually a pouch you could fill with liquids that you can buy at BBB or REI) and just make sure to get the air bubbles out.  Then pack with toiletries and you are all set.  The worst that could have happened to me is the confiscated my pouch.

Yea, I've heard of this, too. My friends in college that went on one used a listerine bottle and a bit of blue dye so it looked like the mouthwash and packed it with toiletries.

Disclaimer: I do not condone illegal activities. And I personally do not like cruises, so there's that too.
    *********************************************************************************

• kk111415 said:
    Not to push doing something against the rules- but you can get alcohol on a cruise ship if you get creative.  I did a 1 night cruise to no where so I'm not sure if it would work on longer cruises, but I just filled a bladder (this one was actually a pouch you could fill with liquids that you can buy at BBB or REI) and just make sure to get the air bubbles out.  Then pack with toiletries and you are all set.  The worst that could have happened to me is the confiscated my pouch.

Tacky, tacky, tacky!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Just an FYI, you can get cruise deals that INCLUDE drinks. The past three cruises I've been on included a drink package at no extra cost. This was on Celebrity and Holland America.

Good luck and Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards