Chit Chat
Options

This isn't fun anymore *vent*

You guys, South Africa is seriously going to shit. It is complete and utter bloody chaos here.

So I posted last week about my manicure being "courtesy of Eskom". Eskom is our national power supplier (and supplier of approximately half of the electricity used in southern Africa). Except they're not supplying elecricity, they're supplying chaos. Basically, what's happened is Eskom has done the bare minimum of maintenance on their plants for the last decade (some say two), in order to be able to provide their top dogs with bigger bonus packages, which is totally sick. Now we're in a situation where most of the plants are non-functioning, and those that are keep having "faults". So in the last month alone, the power has been switched off (at various times around the country) for a total of 10 or more daylight hours every weekend, and between 2 and 6 daylight hours per weekday. They call this "loadshedding" and it's meant to "decrease stress" on the power supply.

Now, I'm all for living with less electricity, BUT businesses are failing because they're forced to close every time there's loadshedding. The water purification plants in my home town are not able to function - so now the town is facing severe water restrictions over and above those already in place thanks to a predicted 18-month drought. 

Oh and guess what, December is bonus month and you can bet the fat cats are still getting their big cheques despite all of this.

To quote the Kaiser Chiefs (the band, not the soccer team) "I predict a riot!"

Our plan has always been to hie us hence to the good old US of A (MIL is a citizen, DH is a passport-holder though not yet a citizen), and were there no obstacles we would be getting the hell out of Dodge right now. Alas, our finances are not such that we can easily move right now, and DH doesn't want to leave just yet anyway because he's worried that he won't be able to get/afford his medication over there, which is obviously a competely valid concern.

I am just so damned frustrated. NOTHING works here when there's no power. And the best part is, we aren't direct Eskom customers - we go through our municipality (not that we're given a choice) and the municipality hasn't paid THEIR Eskom bill in heaven only knows how long. It also means that, while most of the rest of the country has a "schedule" for their loadshedding, provided by Eskom (which Eskom does SOMETIMES actually follow), allowing them to plan their meals, laundry, down-time etc., we do not. We don't even have a municipal schedule, we just get shut off whenever the hell they feel like it.

I am going completely mad.

/vent

So, um... what's getting your goats, grating your tits, and grumping your gusses?
imageDaisypath Friendship tickers

Re: This isn't fun anymore *vent*

• Options
    Well I'm pretty good considering I don't live in freakin' Africa. 

I'm sorry that sucks so much. I would need some sort of schedule to function. 

I didn't know you lived there, tell me more about it!!!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    That sounds like a nightmare. I'm sorry. I wish I could provide advice or something helpful... let me know if you need me to mail you some candles and matches? I hope things don't get too out of control around there. Best of luck! 
  • Options
    I have no advice, just sayin' I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I don't even know how I would. Best of luck and stay safe! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't live there but I traveled to the Dominican Republic about 10 years ago when they were going through a similar issue with their power providers (although I believe their issue was the government wasn't paying their oil suppliers so they didn't have fuel to generate electricity).  Many folks were going without power 19 - 20 hours a day.  A number of the people I met had power inverters.  It was like a generator but smaller and safe to keep inside your house.  They would power smaller electronic items off of the current from car batteries.  Then when the power would come back on it would recharge the car battery until it was needed for power again.

Is something like that or an outright generator an option for you?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    Well I'm pretty good considering I don't live in freakin' Africa. 

I'm sorry that sucks so much. I would need some sort of schedule to function. 

I didn't know you lived there, tell me more about it!!!! 
    LOL It actually isn't so bad. Or wasn't, before all this loadshedding nonsense, anyway. Crime is high, but you learn to deal with it. I've actually become quite desensitized to it, which is kinda a sucky thing. I don't leave my windows open at night, even though they're barred. My door is locked, even when I'm home. I don't walk anymore, even with DH. BUT the weather is mostly gorgeous, and the town were DH's family is (where we got married) is stunning. We have national parks and nature reserves all over the friggin' place - even in the middle of cities. And, for the most part, people are really friendly. We have some of the best food in the world (or so I'm told, never having been anywhere else), we have amazing artists, musicians, actors, and comedians. It really is kind of a fantastic place. Y'know, when things are actually working...
    That sounds like a nightmare. I'm sorry. I wish I could provide advice or something helpful... let me know if you need me to mail you some candles and matches? I hope things don't get too out of control around there. Best of luck! 
    Thanks, that's really sweet of you! But our post office is kinda still on strike (officially the strike is over, but unofficially...) so I probably wouldn't get the mail anyway. Thankfully we have a TON of candles leftover from the wedding, so we're good there!
  • Options
    Medication is definitely something to consider. Unless you get a job that provides insurance- you aren't eligible for medicaid (our low-income paid health insurance) or insurance subsidies until you've been in the states for 5 years. 

But at the same time- if stuff is really bad there, it may make sense to get out before it gets worse. A lot of people have come to the states with a lot less and were able to make it work. You may want to start looking into work visas for yourself, or jobs in general. 
  • Options
    Jesus. That really does sound like a nightmare. I'm sorry. 
  • Options
    ShellD13 said:
    I don't live there but I traveled to the Dominican Republic about 10 years ago when they were going through a similar issue with their power providers (although I believe their issue was the government wasn't paying their oil suppliers so they didn't have fuel to generate electricity).  Many folks were going without power 19 - 20 hours a day.  A number of the people I met had power inverters.  It was like a generator but smaller and safe to keep inside your house.  They would power smaller electronic items off of the current from car batteries.  Then when the power would come back on it would recharge the car battery until it was needed for power again.

Is something like that or an outright generator an option for you?
    It's something that we're looking into, but so far our research is indicating that it's cost-prohibitive. A small generator would be affordable, but fuel is a problem - diesel and petrol supplies were almost completely exhausted in this area weekend before last because of people needing to fuel their generators, which unfortunately also means that prices are going to go up. A power inverter would be much easier in terms of running and maintenance, but even the smallest ones available currently cost almost two full months of DH's take-home. If I could find a job, even a low-paying one, we might be able to make it work, but the market was already slow thanks to the recession and now with businesses being forced to close... Things are pretty hairy here. Obviously, we're not discounting any possible option for either the power or the job situation though. We live in hope!
  • Options
    KytchynWitche H and I are going to Cape Town in a few weeks. Should we be concerned?
  • Options
    kat1114 said:
    KytchynWitche H and I are going to Cape Town in a few weeks. Should we be concerned?
    If you're planning on visiting the beaches, seeing the sights, or doing any kind of hiking or mountain-climbing, yo should be fine. I would recommend that you skip the township/tavern tours, because in a loadshedding situation you are more of a target to muggers and kidnappers.

Take basic precautions: be aware of your surroundings, don't wear a camera around your neck or carry one in the open (it marks you as a tourist), don't wear expensive jewellery or designer clothing. Cape Town is pretty safe though, and most of the good hotels have generators so you shouldn't be stranded. I would recommend that you carry a small flashlight and pepper spray though, for just in case.

Basically, no you don't need to be concerned, just be sensible. And DON'T walk around after dark - get yourselves a hire car, or take a taxi-cab (NOT a local minibus taxi!!!).
  • Options
    So, the power came back on about 30 minutes ago. It should be the last outage for the day, unless something goes screwy at one of the plants again.

I'm hangry, because we're usually eating dinner now, but we've only just started cooking.

I am a big girl who loves her food. Bitches cannot be messing with my feed times!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards