Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

DIY Hair Advice

I'm doing my own hair (50% because I don't want to spend the money and 50% because I don't want to waste my time trapped in a stylist's hair for however long) and I'm reasonably competent at it when necessary, but I have no idea what kind of style I should pick. I want to decide on something soon so I can practice and wear it out a few times to see how it holds up.

My hair is straight, pretty thick (but fairly fine as far as the individual hairs are concerned), about mid-back length, and pretty much all one length. It doesn't set well in big loose curls (so most of the styles I keep seeing with like big loose braids and stuff don't work very well in my hair). No bangs. And I'm blonde so I don't like to scrape it back too tightly and look practically bald from a distance.

My dress has thin spaghetti-type straps and I guess kind of a v-neck. It's fitted at the waist but has a full tulle skirt and is tea-length in the front, long in the back. It kind of resembles one of those long romantic ballet tutus (you know, not the platter ones that stick out straight but the other kind.) I bought a plain elbow veil on a comb but I don't really care if I wear it or not.

So...any suggestions for a style that might look good with this dress? I don't like the idea of wearing it down much because it'll be 95 degrees outside, but other than that I think I'm pretty open to suggestions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY Hair Advice

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I love your dress! I'd definitely see a big loose braid with that dress but you know your hair and if won't hold, then it's probably not the best option (you could try curling it with a FLAT iron first).

If you're having a relatively casual wedding, then what about a big loose ballerina bun?

• Options
    I like the idea of a ballerina bun.

I'm also doing my own hair; french twist, which I think looks good on everyone.  I'm going to try to get some lift. 

Whatever you end up doing, don't gather your hair too low.  The most flattering up-do's are at an angle that continues from your cheekbones. 
  • Options
    What about doing it like the picture, just loose & flowing with a fun or blinged out headband?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards