Jewish Weddings

How to word a sign placed in front of a kippah basket, noting that wearing the kippah is optional?

How to word a sign placed in front of a kippah basket, noting that wearing the kippah is optional?

Answers

• I don't think a sign is necessary.

People who don't want to wear them aren't going to.  Jewish males know enough to know to take one, "optional" or not, as do Jewish females who are willing to wear them.  This is something I'd just let be without a sign.
  • I think you know your guests best, so if you want to clarify "optional" with a sign, I'd say go for it! Particularly if it's an interfaith wedding, or if you have non-Jewish guests, then non-Jewish folks would likely feel more comfortable knowing they are optional, versus feeling rude or obligated to wear one.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    qtchic86 said:

I think you know your guests best, so if you want to clarify "optional" with a sign, I'd say go for it! Particularly if it's an interfaith wedding, or if you have non-Jewish guests, then non-Jewish folks would likely feel more comfortable knowing they are optional, versus feeling rude or obligated to wear one.

Actually, all males, Jewish or not, are expected to cover their heads in a Jewish sanctuary or at a Jewish religious event. It's really not "optional" for males although it is for females. That's why I don't support signs saying that it's "optional" to wear a kippah or hat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards