Attire & Accessories Forum

Anyone add a corset back to a Oleg Cassini CWG594?

so, after trying on an obscene number of dresses, I think I have settled on the Oleg Cassini CWG594. I was told I could get a corset back put in, but I'm afraid of how it will look and wear if I alter it too much. I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of the dress with a corset back? that may be helpful. This is the dress:

thanks
Frances

Re: Anyone add a corset back to a Oleg Cassini CWG594?

• I'm no seamstress, but it seems like it will work well a corset back.
  • I just want to say if you want to do a major alteration like a corset back then I would take it to private seamstress. It'll be cheaper and better quality alteration. Call around to various seamstresses in the area for a price estimate.
  • thanks for the tips
  • fam1820 said:
    so, after trying on an obscene number of dresses, I think I have settled on the Oleg Cassini CWG594. I was told I could get a corset back put in, but I'm afraid of how it will look and wear if I alter it too much. I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of the dress with a corset back? that may be helpful. This is the dress:

thanks
    Frances
    Before you buy the dress and spend money altering it, make sure you really LOVE your dress!  To say you settled makes it seem like you're not loving it. (which, of ocurse, the corset back may be the whole reason)
  • Why do you want to put a corset back in?  Just that your dress has beautiful buttons that go all the way down the back and I think it would be weird to put in a corset and then have the remaining buttons still there.

But I do think it is a gorgeous dress.

• hey,

fair questions/observations. I did 'settle' on my dress in that I wasn't like, "Oh my gosh I just have to have this one." I walked away from it, and started thinking about it again and again. But in all honesty, I tried on at least 60 dresses (in four different cities) and if a better dress exists, so be it. I am really happy with the dress.

I love corset backs but I agree with you Maggie0829, it would be weird unless I took all of the buttons off. its something I will ask when I go to get it altered.

My biggest concern is the size/tailoring. As much as I LOVE the way corset backs look, they are also very practical for me. I spent my whole life obese, and dropped about 90 pounds about 5 years ago. My weight still fluctuates a lot, and my size with that up or down a size or so. I am afraid that my dress won't be tailored appropriately, and it would be such a bummer to have a dress that is too big on me. I know that if I have a corset back, I have some extra flexibility in that regard. I do think this dress will have to be tailored correctly or it will be very obvious in either direction.

I didn't have 'the moment' that lots of brides seem to have, but I was starting to come up against the deadlines for ordering a dress, and I think I made a good decision. Regardless, I made the decision, and bought the dress yesterday. the next question is whether or not to consider changing to a corset back. if anyone has done this, I'd love to hear how it went and see pictures if you have them

thanks everyone for the feedback, opinions, and info!
    Frances

• What did you decide?  My niece is thinking of this dress but also wants a corset back.   I'm her wedding planner so I'm interested in what you did.
  • I had my dress switched from zipper to corset & love it. Based on the front view, I think your dress would look great witha corset, provided that you removed all the buttons on the back of the dress.
  • I'm nervous but i'm probably gonna leave it. Its just so expensive and scary to do that much work in it, and the buttons go all the way down. I'll talk to the seamstress but thats how im leaning.
  • Hi, I have the same dress and was debating whether to add the corset as well. I don't think I am because I really love the buttons but am curious.. Did you talk to the seamstress? I just got mine in a week ago and it's pretty tight in the bust area, i'm wondering if they can alter the back into a deeper V and maybe that will help.. 
  • hey, my alterations appointment is not for several more weeks so I haven't talked to the seamstress yet. I had the same issue- tight in the bust, so I ended up buying a size larger and the bottom is swimming on me. so weird, usually stuff is tight on the bottom. Anyway, I feel the same about the buttons and the corset. let me know if you do one or the other especially if you get pictures! good luck
  • Hi, so I met with alterations and I'm going to keep the zipper but I do have to let it out an inch 1/2 in the bust which is cheaper than putting a corset in. Which is good since I prefer the buttons. 
  • that's good that they are able to do that and you like it. I ordered mine a size bigger because it was absolutely crushing my rib cage. usually I'm bigger on the bottom but I think the dress is just too small on the top. my alterations appointment is coming soon so we'll see what we do....
  • I'm thinking about ordering this same dress but I was wondering if you ordered yours in ivory or white? I want to order the white but I worried without actually seeing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards