Wedding Reception Forum

Different styles for ceremony/reception?

I just wanted to get an opinion on a combination which I'm not so sure about.  I would love to get married, ceremony, in a flower garden (indoor greenhouse/museum), but then my reception venue is an art gallery with modern pop art.  Has anyone had a wedding with wildly different styles for their two locations?  How did it work?

Re: Different styles for ceremony/reception?

• edited December 2014
    Well people get married in quaint little churches and then you go the reception and it is a party/club atmosphere so I don't see a problem with it.
  • Well, I think that if someone did something like a very formal ceremony followed by a barn reception with Mason jars and burlap, or a casual ceremony at home, on a beach, or in a park followed by a very formal reception, then it's going to be confusing.

I'd try for some consistency.  Certainly you can marry in a quaint little church, but if it's a formal ceremony, then the reception should be more formal.  Or you can have a more informal ceremony in that same quaint little church, followed by a garden reception.  Something along those lines.
  • I really think those two venues compliment each other and are not different at all.  You start with live, floral beauty and you continue with print art.  Seems like a nice flow of beauty all around.
  • I agree with Lauderdale with the caveat that your two venues must be less than 30 minutes apart. It's unreasonable to drive farther than that. As long as they're close together and you can seat all your guests in both, you're good.
  • Our ceremony is going to have a very nature, outdoorsy, slightly more rustic vibe with lanterns, more wild flower arrangements and trees for our chuppah.  Our reception is going to be super modern and romantic.

Do what makes you happy!

• I agree with Jen.

There's nothing wrong with 2 different styles for the ceremony and reception. Actually, it can be fun and if you're happy, that's the most important. The level of formality should be consistent though so as to not confuse guests. With your two venues though, it shouldn't be a problem to do that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards