Wedding Party

Who chooses songs for the parent/child dances?

edited December 2014 in Wedding Party
Who generally chooses the songs for the mother son dance and the father daughter dance?
Does the couple or the parent?

If you had not asked them and they simply said "I picked the song I want to dance to"
How would you handle a song selection that you and your fiance STRONGLY disliked?

Best Answer

Re: Who chooses songs for the parent/child dances?

• I gave suggestions to my dad and he was totally cool with what I picked. DH let his mom pick. He and I both hate the song but it made his mom happy, so he did it. 

For parents' songs, I really believe you need to ensure their happiness is your priority.  If they accidentally chose something creepy without realizing the lyrics are creepy, I think you're within your right to say, "Hey, actually, um did you know the lyrics are really about xyz...? Can we pick something else?"  

• We decided to do our dances together - me with my dad and he with his mom at the same time. H and I picked out the song together, and then asked our parents if they liked it. 
  • FI and his mama aren't doing a dance.  My dad and I are tossing ideas back and forth, but our main goal is not to cry, so we're each veto'ing a lot of them.
  • J and I picked the song - "The Wedding Song" by Peter, Paul & Mary.  We danced with our parents at the same time.

It was awesome, because it was an older song that both my dad and his mom knew really well.  We've got some awesome pictures of Dad singing to me while we danced.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • When it comes to picking the music, I imagine my dad and I, and probably my FI and my mom, will just sit down at some point and talk about it. I don't know what songs we'd choose, though.
  • Dad and I choose together. MIL and DH picked together.

If you hate the song then tell them and provide them with another song to choose.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards