Honeymoon Discussions

Tell me about Australia!

FI and I decided that we want to go to Australia for our honeymoon. So tell me all you guys know about the land down under! FI and I have been doing some research, and a coworker provided him with some information. Right now we are considering spending one week in the city - either Melbourne or Sydney, and using Air BnB. We think it might be cool to "live" out there for the week. Our second week we would like to go to a "beachier" destination, and we are looking into the Whitsunday Islands which look amazing. 

One concern I have is that it will be winter there - we are going the last week in May into the first week of June. I know that winter there is different than it is here (NYC), but that is one thing we have in mind. I am curious about the food (I LOVE food), and what are some things that they may be known for. Or, what is a must have at a restaurant? Also, are there any preferences between Sydney or Melbourne?

I would appreciate any and all information!
                             Anniversary
imageimageimage

Re: Tell me about Australia!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I would suggest that you wait and have a delayed honeymoon at a different time of year.  Weather in that part of Australia will be highs in the low 60s, lows in the 40s F.

Have you considered Bali or one of Thailand's resorts?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Australia is AMAZING!  I've been there 3 times - during their winter (June).  Sydney can be chilly, especially with the wind off of the harbor, but "chilly" is usually around 50-60 degrees so nothing a hoodie or moderate jacket can't handle.  I've also been to Sydney when it has been warmer and short sleeves are totally fine.  If you choose Sydney, I would recommend a harbor cruise and seeing a show at the Sydney Opera House.  If you don't do a show, at least go on the tour.  It's an incredible place!

If you go further north, you will get balmy, hot weather.  On my trips, I've typically gone along the coast from Sydney to Cairns.  In Cairns it is not unusual to have 85 degree weather during June. A snorkel trip out to the Great Barrier Reef is well worth the money!  

There are so many fun places to visit.  The sand islands are nice as well.  Fraser Island is cool, along with some of the others.  You can't go wrong with an Australian honeymoon!

Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards