Chit Chat
Options

Who listened to "Serial"?

I was slow to start listening but found myself binge-listening towards the end. Now, I'm endlessly reading all of the follow-up interviews, Reddit commentary, etc.

I'm going through withdrawal.

Did anyone else listen? Do you think Adnan is guilty? Any ideas for what to binge-listen to next?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Who listened to "Serial"?

• Options

I listened to it! It was the first podcast I've ever checked out and I got hooked. I plan on spending a good chunk of tomorrow reading the interview with Jay and checking out Reddit.

I think Adnan is guilty. I feel like Dana - either Adnan is guilty or he is the most unlucky guy in the world for that many coincidences to happen in one afternoon to make everyone think he did it.

I'm trying to find the Buzzfeed article that listed a bunch of podcasts to listen to if you liked Serial and now I can't find it. Grr.

• Options
    I did.  Got through the whole thing in 2 days.  I think Adnan is likely guilty and the one thing I disliked about the podcast was that I thought Koenig was a little too quick to jump on facts that were "good" for Adnan and dismiss facts that were "bad" for Adnan.  I also didn't find any of the alternative theories that were presented to be credible--if it were a random serial killer, for example, how did Jay know where Hae's car was?  I'm troubled by the prosecution's timeline not matching up with the cell phone records and I can't say for sure how I would have voted if I were on the jury, but I'm not convinced that some grave miscarriage of justice was done here.
  • Options
    I listened to it on the drive to my parents over Christmas. I was so disappointed it wasn't resolved in the end...

For some reason I don't think he did it. Something's off with that Jay character's story and I think he had more to do with the real story.
  • Options
    I've heard a lot about this pod cast and was thinking of downloading it to listen to it on our long flights to Hawaii in a week and a half(!!!!). Where did you ladies download it from?
  • Options
    cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I've heard a lot about this pod cast and was thinking of downloading it to listen to it on our long flights to Hawaii in a week and a half(!!!!). Where did you ladies download it from?

If you have an iPhone or an iPad, if you go to the Podcast app, you can search Serial and find it there. Subscribe to the series and it should download all the episodes for you.

You can also go to the website - www.serialpodcast.org

• Options
    I did! I still have not finished, though. I am halfway through the second to last episode. As of nowI don't know that I am entirely sure of Adnan's guilt.

Olive Oil, you can google serial podcast, and it will take you directly to the link.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I haven't come to a real conclusion as to whether Adnan actually did it or not. I'm leaning towards no, but I'm like 55%/45% at this point.

From a LEGAL standpoint, he is almost certainly "not guilty." The evidence presented at his trial did NOT prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. That doesn't mean he's necessarily innocent. Just that the prosecution did not meet their evidentiary burden.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @charlottesmom0626 - I agree, there is DEFINITELY something Jay isn't telling us. And my guess is it's something big.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I haven't come to a real conclusion as to whether Adnan actually did it or not. I'm leaning towards no, but I'm like 55%/45% at this point.

From a LEGAL standpoint, he is almost certainly "not guilty." The evidence presented at his trial did NOT prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. That doesn't mean he's necessarily innocent. Just that the prosecution did not meet their evidentiary burden.
    That's exactly where I am. My gut instinct is that he did it but I definitely don't believe that there was enough evidence to prove that he did it beyond a reasonable doubt.

The interviews with Jay (here) and (here) but I'm not sure that I entirely believe him either.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I am on episode 7 now. I was listening to it during my layover in Detroit yesterday.

I don't want to make any decisions until I finish listening to it but I am leaning toward him not doing it But I do think there is a lot of doubt.
  • Options
    slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014

CAN'T READ ALL THE POSTS CAN'T SEE SPOILERS. 

I LITERALLY just started listening 30 minutes ago.  I don't know why it's taken me so long; nearly everyone I know has told me to tune in, that it's RIGHT up my alley (and yes, so far it is).  

But anyways, expect me back in this thread tomorrow after I binge listen the shit out of it.

Anniversary

• Options

I just finished Episode 11 "Rumors" today.  I've been using it as an excuse to go to the gym: "You want to hear more?  Get your butt to the gym!"

I go back and forth on Adnan's guilt, though at the core of this is a domestic violence case.  I find that more plausible than some of the other theories about Jay's guilt that I have read, i.e. Hae confronted Jay because he was cheating on Stephanie [which I don't remember] and he panicked and strangled her to death to keep her quiet. I do believe that Jay had more to do with it than he admits. The idea of his motive is tenuous compared to Adnan's.

I am finding the discussion of Adnan's character a really fascinating one.  Just recently, a former high school classmate of mine was arrested for aggravated kidnapping and assault--essentially attempted murder.  This was a guy who I would not have pegged as having the capacity for torture and murder--played sports, very smart, friendly--and I worked with him, even trained him, at a local hardware store.  We grew up in a small Midwestern city and went to the same Catholic high school, so this is pretty much the opposite of Baltimore.  The differences are that Classmate is 32, as opposed to being 17 and charged, and Classmate has all but admitted, from my understanding, that he has committed these horrible crimes.  Still, it was really interesting for me to compare the discussion of Adnan as a person to the discussion my classmates had, online, about Classmate. 

I feel like when it is someone we know and could not imagine doing such things, there seems to be the capacity for leniency, maybe even forgiveness.  It could just be my perspective, but the same seems to be happening within Serial.  

• Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015

This is exactly how I feel. Given that most of this evidence wasn't presented at trial, I'm surprised the jury didn't question it more and find him "not guilty" under reasonable doubt.

I'm also pissed as hell that they didn't ask the jury about cultural stereotypes and such (during jury selection). I'm 90% convinced he was convicted because he is Muslim. The jury had their minds made up the second they saw him. It was apparent in the interviews when the jurors said things like, "Oh, his culture is blah blah blah this way/that way about women. Everyone knows that." I was so mad.
  • Options
    The Jay interviews resonated so much. I don't think Adnan should have been convicted based on the legal evidence presented, but I have yet to hear an explanation that makes sense with someone else as the perpetrator.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards