Wedding Party
Options

Ack! Family Drama, SIL out of the wedding party now

So this question has a lot of backstory, including major emotional abuse by my much older ex-h. I'm not going to go through all of the elements as I've already had to change my name on here to avoid my ex-husband. All you really need to know is that, due to how much he destroyed my life. my reaction post-trauma and abuse, stringent laws protecting fathers, and my following the advice of a terrible lawyer like a lamb to slaughter, has brought me here. I get to see my daughter for 24 hours a week. We are working hard to change that (with the help of a MUCH better lawyer who cannot believe what happened.) I left 2.5 yrs ago, and the divorce has been final for almost a year. 

I'm need some advice on a different but related subject. My fiancé and I are getting married this coming summer. She and I have known each other for almost 12 years. We met in high school, long before either of us came out, lost touch over the years and found each other again last year. 

We got engaged rather quickly because we knew who each other was and what we wanted. Sometimes life works out beautifully that way.

Now comes the difficult part of the re-marriage. My soon to be sister-in-law was nice when we were in high school, we were even friends, but since she found out that I only see my daughter one day a week, she's made all these terrible assumptions and won't let me near her daughter. 

This is causing huge issue in the family. I love my in-laws, nobody wants to cause a problem but she was supposed to be my partner'ss Matron of Honor. 
Now neither of us wants her to be in the wedding. If she's going to have such judgment of me without knowing any part of the story, and without asking. Her judgment is brutal, it's turned hate; she's sends such negative energy and hate me way whenever we're there and she won't let me near her daughter. I promise you, there is nothing in the divorce that had anything to do with me being a bad mom. In fact, I am a darn good one.

Because of this, we no longer want her in the wedding party. It's going to cause a huge rift in the family though. My partner's parents understand and agree but MIL wants us to couch it in the idea that "SiL is pregnant now so that's a lot to take on", and "she doesn't live close so it's really hard for her to help now". But that's not the truth. Nobody stuck up for me in my divorce, my ex even had my parents wrapped around his finger for a good while.

I just need someone to stick up for me, to tell someone that they can't place judgement on me when they don't know any part of the story; and my partner wants tell her that. Even her family isn't really a big fan of her sister, she's kind of a pain in ass, but this is going to be bad. At the same time why should someone who can't ask for the story, tells my partner she doesn't want me near her daughter, and refuses to hear about my daughter, who, BTW is healthy, happy, and doing well despite her strong desire to even out parent-child contact.

I hope this makes sense. My wrist was shattered so I use a dictation microphone and then have to go back to edit it all. Sometimes the microphone makes it a mess.

Re: Ack! Family Drama, SIL out of the wedding party now

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Unfortunately, most people here will say that short of really extreme behavior, such as violence, criminal behavior, or sex with the groom, there is no polite way to throw a bridal party member out without putting your friendship with her or him at risk. Spreading rumors, snubbing, and being rude just don't qualify as extreme enough.

But since her behavior to you is so unfriendly and particularly ugly since it involves your children, I would assume she won't be attending and just not have an MOH. Get your FI to get confirmation from her that she is making that decision. If she does, though, I would not cover it up by "couching it in her pregnancy." I think you are entitled to not have to protect her: "SIL chose not to participate for reasons we are not willing to discuss."

If she does, in fact, choose to attend and even participate as MOH, you can let her up until the moment she chooses to be hurtful to you, whereupon security can remove her from the premises.
  • Options

If your fiancée has made the decision to remove her sister from the wedding party, straight up honesty is the way to go. Give FSIL a chance to express her concerns and then your fi can explain your situation to her. Keep in mind that your ex might have gotten to her and planted crazy ideas in her head. Has she met your daughter and seen the way you interact with her? It would be nice if she could get over her fears, but if she can't, then you don't need another person in your life who will be persecuting you for no reason.

@Jen4948 , it seems like the FSIL has already ruined the friendship by passing judgment on JessandMolls without giving her a chance to explain.

I agree, but the advice generally offered here is that that's not sufficient as a reason for throwing someone out of one's wedding party.  I personally would do it in a heartbeat, but that's because she isn't behaving like a friend.
  • Options
    If you and your partner do not mind the potential severing of ties, then I agree with MairePoppy that you should just be honest. You say you want someone to stick up for you. In that case, your partner should tell her sister that her behavior and attitude toward you are not acceptable and will not be tolerated. If she continues, she should tell her sister she no longer wishes for her to be in the wedding party. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think you both are right honesty with a bit of a two-step, give her the choice of being in the wedding party behaving nicely, or get out of the way with her toxic self.

• Options
    Time to take a REALLY deep breath.  First, understand that your past traumas are going to enter your new life. You cannot un-ring a bell, and this is your history.  You have learned from it and have moved on, so huge congratulations on that. But, it sounds like you are still working on improving your responses to other's mean behavior. You have to stick up for you.  Does your FI want her sister in the wedding?  This is her family, soon to be yours.  If your FI or FMIL really want this, it is not that they are not sticking up for you, it is that they or one of them, want the whole family united for the wedding.  Not really a bad thing by the way.  I agree with JessandMolls, give her the choice and you take the high road. Sounds like you've gotten good at walking the high road anyway.
  • Options
    Time to take a REALLY deep breath.  First, understand that your past traumas are going to enter your new life. You cannot un-ring a bell, and this is your history.  You have learned from it and have moved on, so huge congratulations on that. But, it sounds like you are still working on improving your responses to other's mean behavior. You have to stick up for you.  Does your FI want her sister in the wedding?  This is her family, soon to be yours.  If your FI or FMIL really want this, it is not that they are not sticking up for you, it is that they or one of them, want the whole family united for the wedding.  Not really a bad thing by the way.  I agree with JessandMolls, give her the choice and you take the high road. Sounds like you've gotten good at walking the high road anyway.
    The bolded is my favorite advice on TK so far. 

First of all, congratulations on your new life. It seems like it's already on a much better path than your previous one, and that's the most important thing. It's definitely ridiculous and difficult, and tragic, when people make sure harsh judgments without knowing the full (or even half) story. 

That said, if you can, I would advise what PPs have said, and take as much of the high road as you can. I really think your future self will thank you, as this becomes water under the bridge and more of the story comes to light. You're all becoming one family know, and the more you can do to facilitate that, even when others aren't helping, will bear fruit.

Hopefully.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Thank you for the supportive comments. I know this history will follow me - heck it's taken more than a year to begin to pull things back together! 

My fiancé and I discussed it more yesterday, stb SIL is definitely going to be asked to step down from MOH role and she will be given the choice - behave appropriately towards me and she can remain in the wedding party, otherwise she is welcome to attend.

One of the elements that has made this such a difficult issue is that we intend to do all the pre-wedding parties and likely even the bachelorette party together. It makes the most sense to us as fiancé and I are both women, this is a budget wedding, both sides of the wedding parties are friends of both of us, and we don't feel the need to have separate ones. However, doing that means that stb SIL will be at all the celebrations, bringing her negativity with her.

Oh well, I will never understand people who waste so much energy judging other people, I have enough to do in a day! LOL.

Again, thank you all for the super helpful advice. 
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
     I think you are entitled to not have to protect her: "SIL chose not to participate for reasons we are not willing to discuss." If she does, in fact, choose to attend and even participate as MOH, you can let her up until the moment she chooses to be hurtful to you, whereupon security can remove her from the premises.
    Ahhhh! Another wedding element we have forgotten to budget for, SECURITY! LOL
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
     I think you are entitled to not have to protect her: "SIL chose not to participate for reasons we are not willing to discuss." If she does, in fact, choose to attend and even participate as MOH, you can let her up until the moment she chooses to be hurtful to you, whereupon security can remove her from the premises.
    Do people usually have security at their wedding? This is something I've never seen but have only heard on here.
  • Options
    abbyj700 said:

Jen4948 said:

I think you are entitled to not have to protect her: "SIL chose not to participate for reasons we are not willing to discuss."

If she does, in fact, choose to attend and even participate as MOH, you can let her up until the moment she chooses to be hurtful to you, whereupon security can remove her from the premises.

Do people usually have security at their wedding? This is something I've never seen but have only heard on here.

It depends. It is helpful when there are guests with known substance abuse or criminal behavior issues or if interactions between certain guests have the potential for violence or even just real ugliness and hurtfulness, to the point that it can seriously disrupt the ceremony and reception. Having security available to remove guests who are out of control can keep the whole event from getting out of hand. Some venues may have their own security or require people having events there to provide it.
  • Options
    abbyj700 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    A lot of event halls in my area require you to hire security if you are going to have alcohol. These are usually places where it's BYOB and the venue doesn't have any control over who is being served what. So it isn't always just because you might have some guest get out of control, it's sometimes a venue requirement.
  • Options
    I don't know, I thought she was kidding so it was a jk myself. BTW I am the same as Jess and Molls I just seem to have two profiles
  • Options
    It seems like you've already gotten plenty of advice, but I just wanted to chime in that I think honesty is the best policy here.  If your Fi really wants FSIL out of the wedding party because of her attitude towards you, and is comfortable telling her that, then she should go ahead and speak her mind.  FSIL should know that her behavior is inappropriate and is the reason she is out of the wedding party.  Fi should be prepared this might sever ties, but it sounds like she's okay with that.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options

My soon to be sister-in-law was nice when we were in high school, we were even friends, but since she found out that I only see my daughter one day a week, she's made all these terrible assumptions and won't let me near her daughter. 

If your are looking for someone to stick up for you, that is where your fiancé should step in (part of the spousal job description ;). It sounds like FSIL is still operating under assumptions and misinformation. The wedding is just one day, whereas the was she treats you, and her relationship with your fiancé is something that has to be worked on and maintained for the long haul.

If you weren't planning a wedding, or were already married, how would you want to handle this? My suggestion is that FI have a conversation with her sister and explain to her the reality of your custody situation (as much as you are comfortable revealing to her). And at the same time FI should let FSIL know that by treating you unfairly she is not only hurting you but hurting FI as well, because you guys are a couple and a team. Don't even bring up the bridesmaid/wedding issue, just let this info sit for a while.

If she still continues to be hurtful and mean, that means she is aware of what she is doing, and then you can have a conversation about whether or not you still want her standing next to you at the wedding.

Best of Luck

~Sarah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards