Chit Chat
Options

@sbmini

@sbmini How was your Christmas in London?! Feel free to AW some pics ;)  And tell me everything because I'm going in March. Did you like the Stonehenge/ Bath day tour? I think we want to book that. Did you see the Crown Jewels? Did you go on the Eye? Did you find a killer restaurant? Did husband have a good time even though he was hesitant?

Re: @sbmini

• Options
    @hellosweetie1015 too! We need to live vicariously through your vacation!

• Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    SHOW US! TELL US!
  • Options
    It was amazing! Thanks for asking. The city is relatively shut down for Christmas/Boxing Day- but we still managed to do everything we wanted to do. Windsor Castle and Bath being my favorite things we did. The city was also fantastic. People were nice, city was beautiful, our hotel was in walking distance to more or less everything we wanted to do. Only complaints- it was expensive and COLD!!! Highs in the 30s/low 40s and a little bit of rain. But we survived.

Here's just a couple pictures. Our photos from Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath aren't on the computer yet.
  • Options

Awesome!! Glad you had fun and saw everything you wanted. You'll have to post the rest once you get time. It will be 30's when I go too but that's the same as where I live so that will be ok. I'm sure it was pretty shocking for you CA/AZ folks! Were the eye and crown jewels shut down?

• Options
    Sorry- I didn't even answer your questions! The Eye was open on the weekend, but we didn't go because of how expensive it was. We were at the Tower of London on Christmas when it was closed, so we did not see the crown jewels, which sort of sucked, but I've seen the hope diamond and some other pieces before, so it wasn't a must do for me. 
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Y'all. I went with 6 other people, and none of us had cell service because we are all idiots, and one of us is 85, and another one is putting off a knee replacement. It was a nightmare the first couple of days before we figured out how to PLAN our days instead of doing like we do on normal trips.

We only had 3 real days in either city, but in London we saw Buckingham Palace and the changing of the Guard and we rode the Eye and saw Westminster Abbey and Big Ben and the Globe and we went to Abbey Road Studios and I will post a picture of my brother and sisters and I walking across Abbey Road when I get hold of my Mom's camera and I bought the best bra I've ever, ever owned in Harrods and confirmed that I'll never be posh enough to own anything Burberry. We rode the Underground from the airport to the hotel, and that was a hassle and a half, so we took 2 taxis to the train station, and the taxi my siblings and I were in got pulled over for running a red light and the police were like: "You're supposed to be a professional drivah! That's three points!" and it was HILARIOUS.

I also got us lost in the Paris Mètro and we saw Notre Dame and the Louvre and the Centre Pompidou and the Seine and the Champs-Elysées and the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower and my sister left a lock representing her relationship with her awful slimy asshole ex on the park fence around the Eiffel Tower and threw away the keys and I bought a lock for FI and I to stick somewhere here and we had real crèpes and the best champagne I've ever had (although it was probably cheapo crap champagne there) and I got us lost trying to find our hotel the last day and discovered that not ALL my French has leaked out of my ears which was good. Oh and I almost walked into someone who was pooping on the sidewalk in front of me and all of us saw at least one person peeing in public. 

The weather was FANTASTIC - warmer than expected, really. Still colder than it was in Alabama, but definitely warmer than it was in NYC this year so there's that. 

FI and I are going to go back one day. He didn't get to go and I missed him so so so bad. Paris would be my favorite place on the planet that I've ever seen if it weren't for the bodily functions. Also the Mètro stank, but the Tube was cleaner than the subways in NYC. There's stuff I wanted to do that didn't get done - I didn't see Platform 9 3/4, or the Musée d'Orsay, or Versailles, or the inside of Westminster or Notre Dame, or the catacombs or the Tower of London or 221B Baker Street or anything, really, because spending 3 days in London and 3 days in Paris is just not enough time for anyone to do all the things, but we did good for the size and health status of the group we had.

Y'all. If I hadn't been under my warm blanket, I'd have been bouncing around the house typing this and probably broke my computer in the process. It was so so fantastic. 

ETA I also learned that when a tub has a little peeling sticker-sign on it saying that it's extremely slippery and to use the bath mat, don't assume the little white spots on the bottom of the tub are those stick-on no-slip things and that the sign is just old. You should actually try to find that bath mat they're talking about. Or you'll face plant into the mat and have bruises on one knee, the other thigh, and an arm, and you'll be in pain for two days and still have the bruises when you get back.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    This makes me excited for our trip later this year! We're going to Southampton/Portsmouth for 3 nights and London for 5 nights. I missed not being able to go this year :(

Why are we going to Southampton and Portsmouth? Well, DH wanted to see the Tank Museum, the Royal Navy Museum/Historic Dockyards, and, ahem, Monkey World. LOL

• Options
    @jells2dot0 Do tell....what is Monkey World? haha 

• Options
    http://www.monkeyworld.org/

It is apparently featured on a show in the UK, but my DH has this fascination with monkeys. He was looking into visiting the Tank Museum and saw Monkey World across the street on the map. He just has to go now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards