Nevada-Las Vegas

Repeat post about flying with your dress

Sorry i know i have seen several post about this issue but i cant find them atm. I am flying out on March 4 with US airways and just got off the phone with them and they told me that the "closet" I was told i could put my dress in has been removed. After doing alot of online shopping this month i have no faith in sending my dress through the mail. I really dont no what to do as this will be my first time flying. I dont really like surprises and wanted to have everything figured out before march. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Repeat post about flying with your dress

• I'm actually sending mine via fedex or UPS to fit for a bride.  I didn't want to bother with carrying it on the plane, and I am sure as heck NOT going to check it.  But, I'll ship it insured to fit for a bride.  I have read a lot of good things about them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just got back and on one flight, I just folded it in half and put it in the overhead bin (the other flight had a closet).  The ability to do that will probably depend on how big and poofy your dress is though.  
  • You could buy an extra seat for your dress if it's a big one and you're concerned about whether or not there will be overhead bin space.  Most of the time if you don't mind folding it, you can put it in the bin and other travelers will be understanding of the situation, but there are a lot of a-holes out there too who will insist on getting space in the bin if they're all full and then your dress could become an issue.

The cost to air ship my wife's dress with insurance was more than an extra ticket on Southwest was, so we went that route, but they have cheap direct flights from where we live so that may not be the case for US Air.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• If you decide to fly with your dress and put it in one of the bins, try to make sure the dress is on the side of the bin closest to the front of the plane. That way, when the plane takes off, the suitcases won't slide backward and crush your dress.

Once you've leveled off and they say it's okay to get up, move your dress to the rear of the bin. When the plane lands and opens the flaps, the suitcases will slide forward. If your dress is still in the front, the suitcases will crush it.
  • I flew with mine in the overhead space. Not one person had a problem with it and they other passengers were happy to move there things to help accommodate :-) Best of Luck and Happy New year!
    Anniversary
  • I had mine inside a garment bag and the folded into a carry on suitcase. Of course that will only work if your dress isn't big and poofy!
  • well thanks im feeling a a little better about the plane. Up untill now i have been real chill about everything and not stressin about vegas much. But it seems like the closer it gets the more i am freaking out. My sister just told me last week she was having a las vegas themed bridal shower/party  for me in just a few weeks. Its going to be nice to celebrate with everyone before i get married since we are only having immediate family there, but its all feeling overwhelming right about now. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for asking the question! I was curious about how to handle my dress as well, this is helpful! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards