African American Weddings

Hair Stylist Question. Old or New?

Question for you ladies:

I talked to my regular hair stylist and she seems to be on board but is being a bit non-committal.  When I asked her about doing my hair at our last appointment she said sure if she is alive.  Huh???  She typically does not work on Saturdays for religious purposes so I asked her if she would be willing to do my hair for the wedding.  I showed her the styles I am considering.  She discussed options for my styles and my prewedding hair regimen.  It sounds like she is planning to do my hair but that "sure if I am alive" comment makes me leery.  My wedding planner says don't count on her and to book someone else.  I just hate to book someone and they lose the deposit if my regular hair stylist does come through.  

Should I just book someone new and tell my regular hair stylist not to worry about my hair that day since it will be a long day for her and I know she doesn't work on Saturdays normally?  It will give me peace of mind but probably upset her if she really does want to do my wedding hair.  She is super sensitive and I really can't take her working on my hair with an attitude from now until September.  UGH!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

Re: Hair Stylist Question. Old or New?

• Question for you ladies:

I talked to my regular hair stylist and she seems to be on board but is being a bit non-committal.  When I asked her about doing my hair at our last appointment she said sure if she is alive.  Huh???  She typically does not work on Saturdays for religious purposes so I asked her if she would be willing to do my hair for the wedding.  I showed her the styles I am considering.  She discussed options for my styles and my prewedding hair regimen.  It sounds like she is planning to do my hair but that "sure if I am alive" comment makes me leery.  My wedding planner says don't count on her and to book someone else.  I just hate to book someone and they lose the deposit if my regular hair stylist does come through.  

Should I just book someone new and tell my regular hair stylist not to worry about my hair that day since it will be a long day for her and I know she doesn't work on Saturdays normally?  It will give me peace of mind but probably upset her if she really does want to do my wedding hair.  She is super sensitive and I really can't take her working on my hair with an attitude from now until September.  UGH!

I don't even know her, and she's making my blood pressure rise! I would find someone else, run through a couple hair trials before commiting to one stylist though.

On another note- is this shytty of her? I'm side-eyeing her! she's been your normal hairstylist for how long? friend too? i'm sure she knows the backstory of you and Mr dude. She could atleast be a little bit excited? I dunno, Just off'a that alone, i'd find someone else, I mean, you don't have to act like i'm the queen of shiba, but at the very least, act like you care a little bit. shoot.

side/side note- can you find a really good MUA/hair stylist. kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I don't even know her, and she's making my blood pressure rise! I would find someone else, run through a couple hair trials before commiting to one stylist though.

On another note- is this shytty of her? I'm side-eyeing her! she's been your normal hairstylist for how long? friend too? i'm sure she knows the backstory of you and Mr dude. She could atleast be a little bit excited? I dunno, Just off'a that alone, i'd find someone else, I mean, you don't have to act like i'm the queen of shiba, but at the very least, act like you care a little bit. shoot.

side/side note- can you find a really good MUA/hair stylist. kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Yeah I know.  I mean she just won't come out and say "yes" for sure I will be there to do your hair but she is asking the questions and going through the motions as if she is going to do my hair. When I see her next I am going to have to tell her not to worry about it.  I just need to figure out how I am going to do that without hurting her feelings or setting her off. I guess I could say she can do everything to prep my hair for the day but not worry about styling it for the day.  **sigh** I don't know.  I am telling you she is super sensitive.

• OKAY MY 2 CENTS...

Regardless of her ultra super sensitivity i would have to get a definite yes or no...that crap about being alive wouldn't do it for me.. And i would come out very nicely and say "HEY GIRL I'M JUST MAKING SURE YOU ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO MY HAIR BECAUSE BASED OFF THE LAST TIME WE SPOKE I WASN'T TO CLEAR IF YOU WERE OR WEREN'T GOING TO BE AVAILABLE, I'M ONLY ASKING BECAUSE I'M GETTING ALL MY THINGS IN ORDER FOR THAT DAY SO THERE AREN'T ANY HICCUPS" if she cant deal with that plain Jane reason she just need to find another profession because ain't nobody got time for babying someone you have to pay to style your hair.. Sorry my money and time is just as sensitive as she is.... DONE

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• And that's the end of this story.  LOL!  Thanks Tira and Footballwife.  You both have made it clear what I need to do.  
    I'll update after I talk to her at my next appointment.  

• Saw my stylist this evening.  I asked her again about doing my hair.  Her initial answer was "I don't know.".  THEN she said "Yes".  Her hesitancy she said is because she hasn't done a wedding in several years and needed to think about what to charge me.  She prices very fairly so I understood that point.   She said three months out from my wedding date she would know her schedule and if any problem would let me know but for sure she wouldn't leave me hanging.

The Dude said I don't want to mess around with my hair for that day so even if she says "yes" that I should go ahead and put a deposit on someone else just in case.  

How safe is it do you think to wait until three months out and then book a hairstylist should something come up for my current lady?   I would really hate to lose the deposit money for a stylist that I may not  need. 

• Honey id tell her don't worry about it and start looking for someone else... No need for her to wait and think on it, either shes doing your hair or she isn't #FOOLISHNESS....

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• @Tira - LOL!  My stylist is fantastic so if I can get her she is the one I want.  However, just in case I am going to book someone and then if she comes through, great!  If not, well I am covered. 

• Saw my stylist this evening.  I asked her again about doing my hair.  Her initial answer was "I don't know.".  THEN she said "Yes".  Her hesitancy she said is because she hasn't done a wedding in several years and needed to think about what to charge me.  She prices very fairly so I understood that point.   She said three months out from my wedding date she would know her schedule and if any problem would let me know but for sure she wouldn't leave me hanging.

The Dude said I don't want to mess around with my hair for that day so even if she says "yes" that I should go ahead and put a deposit on someone else just in case.  

How safe is it do you think to wait until three months out and then book a hairstylist should something come up for my current lady?   I would really hate to lose the deposit money for a stylist that I may not  need. 
    I'm glad you asked her directly girl.   About this I'm not sure I would wait until 3 months out unless you have somebody you regularly go to if and when your usual lady isn't available.   You want time to try somebody out at least twice and then time to check their availability if you like em, you know?   I'd at least start the auditioning process sooner than 3 months out.

• I'm glad you asked her directly girl.   About this I'm not sure I would wait until 3 months out unless you have somebody you regularly go to if and when your usual lady isn't available.   You want time to try somebody out at least twice and then time to check their availability if you like em, you know?   I'd at least start the auditioning process sooner than 3 months out. 
    Yep.  You said exactly what my wedding planner said.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards