October 2015 Weddings

Dress shopping & losing weight...

I know there are tons of discussions on this, but thought I would ask a group of ladies getting married around the same time as me. October wedding, just started dress shopping. I would like to lose about 10-15 pounds, and know that my body tends to change shape pretty quickly when I put on lean mass (hopefully will get back into training once a back injury heals). I know I should buy a dress for what size I am now, but I'm having serious panic attacks about the possibility of crazy alterations, or alterations not being possible for some reason because of weight loss.

How is anyone else handling this? When are you looking for dresses? The first shop I went to told me that the order time for the only dress I liked there was 35 WEEKS! 

- AC

Re: Dress shopping & losing weight...

• I bought my dress already! I do want to lose my love handles- but the rest of the dress fits stunningly. I joined a gym yesterday and really want to tighten & tone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Okay ladies, the weight loss dilemma is legit! I have been gradually losing weight for almost two years now so it has really been a lifestyle change and the wedding has just given me the extra push I need to reach my healthy goal weight. We have been engaged since March and I have been to several places looking for dresses. Several. I am still fifteen to twenty pounds away but I have lost 38 pounds since the start. As such I am not completely happy with my body but it's such a drastic difference and I am much happier than I was. I am starting to look and feel myself again and that to me is the most important thing in finding my dress. So, I still have not found my dress-- our date is October 25th. I know where I will be purchasing from though. My sister got her dress from this amazing designer Amy Kuschel who is based in San Francisco. Her gowns are amazing and she just came out with her new 2015 line. I have my next appointment there in February so that gives me time to get ten pounds off and by the time I do my final measurements I will be at my goal weight. Ultimately I think we all are marrying our best friends, and the person who makes us feel the most beautiful and special so I think we all stand a pretty good shot of looking amazing no matter what our weight!
  • Oh another thought on the designer I'm going through-- she doesn't do alterations. Rather than measuring the bride and finding the size that best suits your measurements and then altering, she measures and builds your dress from scratch. And her dresses are still super affordable! And I only need to order my dress eight to sixth month out.
  • I bought my dress back in November at my current size that I would have to alter in places to fit me better and I just hired a personal trainer yesterday who promised to help me lose like almost 50 lbs before September 3rd, 1 month from my wedding. I've heard that you can only alter a dress two sizes down, but I guess I am going to be pushing that because they would have to alter my dress by 3-4 sizes. So I feel your pain with the not wanting the crazy alternations because it is terrifying me.

I would highly recommend not waiting a super long time to buy your dress because you never know what will happen and you don't want to end up compromising and getting a dress that doesn't make you happy. Just go in and get your dress and know that they can and will alter it for any body changes that happen. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards