Wedding Reception Forum

Dinner & Dancing In Separate Rooms HELP!!

Help!!!!
My fiance and I are looking at this beautiful restaurant to have our wedding reception, the only problem!!!... Where we would have dinner and where the dancing and the bar is are in two separate rooms.  They are divided by a hallway about a metre wide with walls on both sides.  My parents feel it is a plus, that those who don't want to be part of the loud music and dancing can sit down or people can have a time out.  I'm worried it means people won't participate.  I can see the positives to both... This place is really beautiful and it's about the only restaurant style venue we can afford (I really do not want it in a banquet hall).
Thoughts?  Has anyone been to a wedding like this?  Advice??
Thanks in advance!

Re: Dinner & Dancing In Separate Rooms HELP!!

• I think if you have room to put some tables and chairs, along with continued bar service in the dance room, people who want to dance will stay in that room.  People who stay in the dining room will be more likely to leave earlier.  
  • Personall,y I hate when the dinner and dancing are in seperate rooms.  I loved two "mansion style" venues that had this set up, but ruled them out because of the seperate rooms.  Most people like to sit at their table while watching the first dance and other dances.  owever, if it's truly wht you love and can afford then I'd say go for it. 
  • Our reception was at our local zoo/aquarium and it was two floors.  The second floor had a big balcony that you could look over and see the first floor.  I was a bit worried about having the guests on two different floors (similar to your problem), but it totally worked out!  Pretty much everyone came down to the bottom floor after dinner. 
  • Is the "dancing room" really JUST dancing, or is there a dance floor, and room around it for people to stand around and talk with their drinks? Is it easy to walk back an forth between the rooms? Where will the cocktail hour be? Is there a bar in the dinner room as well as the dancing room?

I think the two biggest concerns are that 1) people will just stay and talk in the dinner room when you want everyone on the dance floor later in the night, and 2) if you're planning to do any spotlight dances, are you really expecting everyone to stand around you in a circle in the dance room? That sounds uncomfortable for everyone, unless the room is really big.

• I've been to a wedding with the same setup. Was it inconvenient? Yes. Did people still have a good time? Yes. 

It's really not a big of a deal as you'd think. 
  • It sounds like you haven't booked this yet. I would recommend checking out a few more venues before you put a deposit down. Just so you can see what else is out there that might better meet your needs.

I never like it when stuff is separated. It doesn't flow and feels awkward. If it ends up being your only option, fine. But I'm willing to bet there are other fish in the sea.
    *********************************************************************************

• MandyMost said:
    Is the "dancing room" really JUST dancing, or is there a dance floor, and room around it for people to stand around and talk with their drinks? Is it easy to walk back an forth between the rooms? Where will the cocktail hour be? Is there a bar in the dinner room as well as the dancing room?

I think the two biggest concerns are that 1) people will just stay and talk in the dinner room when you want everyone on the dance floor later in the night, and 2) if you're planning to do any spotlight dances, are you really expecting everyone to stand around you in a circle in the dance room? That sounds uncomfortable for everyone, unless the room is really big.

I just went to a wedding like this.  They kicked us out of the dinner (it was actually brunch) room to go to the dancing room to watch the couple's first dance.  We all stood around the walls while they played The. Entire. Song.  And the couple just swayed in a circle for it.  Same thing for the Mother/Son dance and the Daddy/Daughter dance.  They played every note of three songs while we just stood around the walls bored without anywhere to sit or put down our drink.  Then they started the open dance floor.  Since I'm not a dancer, I decided I wanted to back to the dinner room to sit down and find people to talk to.  Nope.  The dinner room was no longer available, the tables and chairs were being put away and the waitstaff was eating.  Annoying all around.
  • Hey!
    Okay, you guys have given us much to think about.  We have not yet put a deposit down and it's a November wedding so we still have some time before things book up.
    And it really isn't a big room, it would be SUPER awks for the first dance.  We wouldn't be kicking people out of the eating part.  It would be open all night for people to go back and forth.
    It's easy to walk back and forth (just a tiny hallway in between), and there is only a bar in the "dancing room" (i.e. smaller room where the bar is where dancing would be held).
    I am seeing another place on Saturday.  And I thought of one more place to call.
    This is harder than I thought it would be :(
    But I'm really relieved at the posters who said its not such a big deal in case we do kinda have to go with this place just because of the money.
    Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it.

LoveCrossesOceans
  • If you go for it, maybe just forgo the spotlight dances? I really don't see a way to make that work.

Also, regarding the hallway, if it's a small hallway people might run into each other and start to say Hi, and hug, and talk, and end up blocking it entirely from other people to get by. 
  • I went to a wedding at a country club that had dinner in the dining room and the dance floor was out on the gazebo. It actually worked really well because their family and friends were all big dancers. They were able to set up a few cocktail tables and chairs around the dance floor for folks to set down their drink or take a break.

For the spotlight dance they actually did it in the doorway of the dinner hall rather than the dance floor so everyone was able to stay at their table while the couple did their first dance. They basically just swayed in one spot, but it worked. Also, they did their first dance before dinner. They were announced in as Mr and Mrs and immediately went into their dance. I thought it was a bit odd but it worked for them, I suppose!

I don't think having a dance floor in a separate room is a total deal breaker but it does require a bit more thought.
  • It can be difficult to "get the party started".  As someone who worked in a wedding band, I can say it's rough going when you are in a separate room than the dinner.  People are less inclined to just get up and dance to a song at a time, so you only get the people who are really into dancing the night away.
  • Thanks.  We would only be having the first dance and the father/daughter and mother/son dance... hopefully shortened!!  (I am going to shorten it... My anxiety about being in the spotlight is already killing me.  I'm not even having a head table!)
    This is all super helpful, I truly appreciate it.

LoveCrossesOceans
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards