Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Picking a DJ without meeting them

Has anyone had to hire a DJ without meeting them. I live several hours from my venue and am not sure how to go about the process of choosing such an important vendor. I have a listing of names from the venue but I don't know what kinds of things to ask about/for. Do they have video resumes or what have you?

Re: Picking a DJ without meeting them

• donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    A great starting place is recommendations:
    from your venue  (which you already have)

also ask your photographer (or any photographer you're considering) as they see everyone
    and if you have friends or family in that area, ask them if they've heard of a good DJ

Next - check out those DJs websites and facebook pages.  The online presence of some of these companies may immediately impress or intrigue you ... OR turn you off

Next - check out online reviews here from the knot, and from wedding wire.

Finally (or whenever!) Email and/or call the DJs you've decided to check out further.    See how long it takes them to respond to you.  See if they can carry on a conversation, and if they seem professional.  Check out their email and/or attachments.  

And then, if you're still unsure, set up a phone or facetime or skype appointment.  You'll know after that.

Video resumes may not be the best way to go, only because they would represent someone else's wedding.  You want a professional DJ who will personalize to you!  

Good Luck!

• Some DJ's can stream you samples.  I'm planning from out of town.  I'm been trying to go based off of recommendation of other vendors that I've used (the caterer seemed to favor one over others.) 
  • We live about 2 hours away from where we got married. Since most DJs can only meet during the week, it wasn't feasible for us to meet our DJ before hand.

Anyways, I picked a DJ based off reviews, and the look and feel of their website/bios. I really wanted to avoid having a cheesy wedding DJ. It worked out great! 

I'd also look for one that offers online planning abilities. Our DJ had a portal that allowed us to request songs, create playlist (must play, do not play, first dance, etc.), and make a timeline. On the day of, everything flowed perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards