Budget Weddings Forum

Fleece blankets as favours

Hi everyone!

We are planning on having fleece throws as our favours at our wedding. Does anyone know of any shop or online place where I could buy in bulk cheaper?
We would ideally like ones with US/UK flags on but obviously that's a little random!
Thanks
Amy

Re: Fleece blankets as favours

• Walmart has a ton of them for $2.98 each. I only noticed because we got one for the dog- he keeps chewing through them. I'd consider them to be too low quality to be a gift- but it gives you a price point to work with.

Finding blankets with flags will be difficult. You might have better luck finding blankets with your colors. You might have better luck making them yourself: fleece isn't horribly expensive and places like JoAnn Fabrics have frequent sales. I've seen lots of online tutorials for DIY blankets: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Fleece-Tie-Blanket.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you make them yourselves, it's nice to a little whipstitching around the edges. Depends of course on how many guests you have.
  • ledoogledoog member
    First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Thanks ladies. Would love to DIY it but, despite a degree in fashion, have absolutely no sewing skills!
  • You can do new sew fleece blankets. Fleece does not fray, so just cut two inch slits around all the edges and tie them together. There are lots of tutorials online. It's real quick and easy. Also if you do this, try to get 60in wide fabric or wider if possible. You use that for the length and it's super long. :)
  • I'd love a blanket as a wedding favor! Good luck in your search.
  • A cheap fleece throw, especially one with a flag on it, is getting promptly thrown in the box for Goodwill or to the Humane Society for the cats to snuggle with.  That is, if I bother to take it at all.

Edible will have more appeal and if you're on a tight budget, don't do favors at all.  They are not at all required.  Or, use that money to upgrade something at your wedding that your guests will enjoy - like a carving station or an extra appetizer or a mashed potato bar or other interactive app or a late night snack.
  • If I got this it would end up in the bottom of my dog's crate...(and please don't take it the wrong way), especially if it were an American flag.  If it were a neutral color I might leave it out on a couch or something to snuggle up with but not a flag one.

Why are you set on doing this as your favor? It'll likely be pretty pricey.

• Echoing the PPs who've said this may not be the best choice for a favor. If I took a blanket at all, it would go straight to the Humane Society. 

Favors are not necessary at all; if you're already concerned about budget, you'd be better off just skipping them altogether. The blankets are probably going to end up being pretty pricey after the cost of materials, not to mention a massive pain to put together, and you may end up with a ton of them left to deal with from people not taking them. 
  • I would not take this.  My mom gets these cheap, icky fleece blankets from an indian child charity she donates to.  I put them in front of the front door when it snows, then throw them away when they get wet.  Or just send straight to Goodwill, where I'm confident they throw them away because no one would pay for the flimsy things.

Nor would I have wanted this kind of clutter at my wedding.  Where will you put them?  That's not something that can be set daintily at a place setting.  Or put in a purse when leaving.

Favors are never required.  I only take ones that I can eat or drink, and even edible ones I don't always take (no jordan almonds, m&ms in bags, etc. that someone handled).  I love a wedding with lots of food, passed appetizers, and alcohol.  The favor is inconsequential.  And a good favor doesn't make up for bad food, cash bar, etc.  
  • I would probably take one, but I think you should take the previous posters' responses to heart, because I think you would probably have a lot leftover because many people won't take one.

That being said, I would look at Walmart or maybe Target or something. If you really want US and UK flags, fleece blankets are really easy to get embroidered. Lots of people will do it custom, although that will probably ratchet up your cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards