Budget Weddings Forum

Good ideas for cheap reception food?

We are having our wedding, probably around 80 people at a small church in December. I am having some trouble figuring out ideas for food. I will be cooking most of it myself but am not sure what all to go with. Since it is winter I figured we can have chili but Id like at least 1 other main meal option and then all the sides. And we are having cupcakes as a cake. Would it be good to include another kind of dessert as well? Like brownies or something? Should I have fruits out?

Re: Good ideas for cheap reception food?

• I think chili is a great idea. Could you possibly make one batch vegetarian? And maybe have rolls or bread available? And salad?

Pasta is another cheap option and it's pretty easy to have a pasta bar with different sauces, pastas, etc.

One thing I would keep in mind is that catering is pretty hard- hence why people charge so much to do it! I would not be comfortable cooking for that many people, but it can be done. Just keep in mind safe transportation and handling of the food so everything stays at appropriate temps.  

• I know and no one we know is vegetarian. I will look at a pasta option! Like maybe chicken alfredo. Forgot about the salad lol do you think I could also incorporate cornbread? 
  • Cornbread = yessss!
  • Just be careful with doing the catering yourself-- it's a ton of work and you have to be very careful about food safety. I've cooked for crowds that size myself and know how difficult it can be.

Chili is a good option. I'd offer things like macaroni, cornbread, oyster crackers, cheese, onions, etc. on the side to go with.

I could also see pasta, though I'd try to stick to baked pastas. It will be easier to get the timing right -- no one wants overcooked or clumpy pasta.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • actually I dont want to do pasta cause our chili has pasta in it. Maybe bbq meatballs? 
  • You could also do some fruit and veggie trays.
    Anniversary

• Maybe just do some cold salad options like a cucumber, tomato, and macaroni salad with a balsalmic glaze or a fruit salad. Something to help take the heat out of your mouth for guests who aren't keen on spicy chili.
  • Based on my experiencing of serving chili for an open house type holiday event, I would still make diffferent batches.  Chili is one of those foods where every family has a variation on it and people can be picky or have different spice tolerances.  My standard chili is spicy with kidney beans, meat, tomatoes, onion, and green pepper - but I have a friend who makes it very mild with black beans, corn, and mushrooms.  I have family members who are spice intolerant and many who hate green peppers, so I make a milder version for them and omit the green peppers and/or make a white chicken chili.  At the very least, if your chili is spicy, make a mild and a spicy version or if your version is mild, then I would have hot sauce on the tables for those that like spicy.

• Hi Knottie!

I really like the idea of chili.  I think you should do a chili station with bright colored bowls that your guests can self-serve and different colored pots--

orange for turkey chili and red beans
    green for black bean veggie chili
    yellow for ground beef chili --

and then have a tray of assorted rolls, flat breads, mini croissants and another with pickles, sliced red onions, shredded cheese (both white and yellow), white and yellow sweet corn (not on cobb) would also be a good addition.  Alongside, serve white and brown rice, which is the way I love to make it and people can choose what they want.  You may want to add hot dogs so that folks could munch on chili dogs.  Make sure they are 100% beef (better taste/quality) and some "potato" hot dog rolls.  Don't forget to get a variety of colored chips!  Add a candy station.  

Decorate your station with bright colored table cloths and paper fans/lanterns hanging and make a "Chill with Chili" sign.   This would go great with an assortment of beers, old fashioned bottled soda, wine coolers and cute water bottles with custom labels.  I think that with some appetizers you buy from CostCo or BJ's - you'll be all set.  Good luck!

• If you want another main course option, bbq meatballs or pulled pork/chicken would be a good idea. Or you could just do chili as the hot option and serve it along with deli sandwiches.
  • Before adding another dessert--you have that covered--add a vegetable or side.  Salad is a great idea.  Or, maybe this sounds good because I'm in winter hibernation mode--but play off the "comfort" idea and do grilled cheese?  If the event is really casual, I don't think that's a problem.  If you're having chili, I'm guessing it is.  Also, you could dress it up a little with different kinds of cheese--cheddar, havarti, etc.  They could be cut into triangles and wrapped or stacked in an aesthetically appealing way.  This will, however, require a caterer making them on the spot so they are crispy and fresh.  They can't sit in a warmer for an hour then be expected to taste good.

• I would have a small salad bar and then the chili with topping options. FI won't eat chili without sour cream, cheese, and cornbread. 
  • Did you ever thing about a Chili bar? go crazy on toppings and sides & I second the pasta - under chili-- google SKYLINE CHILI!!!

GO nuts- Sour cream, cheeses, crackers, cottage cheese, cornbread, rolls, etc.. should be pretty inexpensive too. 

I might add one other option like another sou- potato perhaps, just in case anyone doesn't like red sauces/soups

• I think pasta's a great option.  We're only having 40 guests at our ceremony and I'm considering doing veggie lasagna, along with salad, bread, and veggie meatballs.  A caterer wanted to charge $78 for a pan of lasagna that could serve between 8-10 people meaning that we would have to purchase at least 4.  Paying over $300 for 4 pans of lasagna just isn't economical, and everyone raves over my veggie lasagna, so I figured I might as well make it myself.  That's also something that keeps warm for a while and putting in a sterno pan is no fuss.
  • I'd encourage chili with salad- and just choose toppings that work for both (chili or salad) with some bread you like.Have a big bowl available, and put a lettuce mix and chili next to each other. Then an area with toppings for both. If you wanted more, you could add possibly add a tray/crockpot of shreded meat at the end of the line/table with lots of toppings to top either type of dish vs filling a plate up with meat. Have some smaller bowls ready in the back to swap out for guests to come back and do the reverse (I would). Later pull out a fruit/veggie tray or other comforts you've pre-prepared for snacking. Most of all if you are doing this, go with what you can manage, have fun with it, but don't be afraid to pick up a tray (or two) of something from a favoritie place to save yourself some stress. 
  • I would just do pizza or something.  I can eat pizza with out making a mess.  I can rarely eat chili without getting a dot or two of tomato sauce somewhere.  White dress + chili just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  This is a reason why I also stayed away from Italian food. 
  • Chili is a great idea. Everyone has already gave some really great ideas I would suggest to go along with the chili as someone already said veggie tray, fruit tray, salad, another type of salad exp crab salad some deli sandwiches, like you said maybe some meatballs and just a topping bar sour cream, different cheese, crackers etc. my mom makes really chili but sometimes it's very spicy for me so not everyone will enjoy it.

Happy planning!!!
  • Pizza all the way.  Every likes pizza.  Chili is cool.  But I know more people who don't like chili than don't like pizza.  You can still do gluten free, dairy free, etc.  You'll figure it out!
  • Pizza all the way.  Every likes pizza.  Chili is cool.  But I know more people who don't like chili than don't like pizza.  You can still do gluten free, dairy free, etc.  You'll figure it out!
    OP's wedding already happened.  What's the point of this?  Do you just not like chili?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards