Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Is there a right and/or wrong way?

2»

Re: Is there a right and/or wrong way?

• Options
    DH and BIL were not in the wedding party when their sister got married (tho both did readings), and we did not include SIL in our wedding (she was just a guest) even though BIL was best man. There are no "rules" about how has to be included in the wedding party. If this were an actual "thing", my mother would have been screwed being one of twelve kids. She didn't include ANY siblings, and no one had a stroke over it.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I would only include family if it means a lot to you. I included all 4 of my brothers and my sister but it was because I seriously consider them to be my best friends, even more than my other friends. Otherwise adding family you're not close with may just add more drama and it's more people to please/work with. Good luck!
  • Options
    My FH and his friends believe that if you need your brother to be your groomsman you don't have enough friends. 
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    My FH and his friends believe that if you need your brother to be your groomsman you don't have enough friends. 
    I assume this means the bride's brothers (who the groom presumably doesn't just hang out with on his own)?

Otherwise, I feel like this assumes that one's siblings can't also be one's closest friends and/or there's something wrong with you if that's the case. Which I would be offended by.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    WTF does that even mean?

I have plenty of friends, but I still had his sisters in my wedding.  And no it was not in order to have more people.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Bullshit.

My brother had tons of friends, and he still asked his BIL to be his groomsman. There's no etiquette rule requiring you to ask your FI's siblings of the opposite sex to be your attendants, but there's also no etiquette rule prohibiting it.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    Yea, that's crazy.  My two sisters closest to me happen to be two of my best friends and I had them in my wedding party.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    Well that's dumb.

• Options
    adk19 said:
    That's a pretty asinine way to look at it. I had my SILs and little brother's GF because I love them all dearly.

People can be friends with their siblings...what a concept.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards