Asian Weddings

I'm Vietnamese, should I have a father-daughter dance?

So I'm not sure what I should do. I'm having an interracial marriage, I'm vietnamese and my fiance is American. My parents raised me in America so the wedding is very much a typical American wedding. The only thing is that I'm not sure if I should have a father-daughter dance. Is that typical? The thing is, a FD dance is a very affectionate dance between the father and daughter and my dad and I are not that way. That doesn't mean he doesn't love me, we just have a different way of showing it. I feel like that is an asian thing but I'm not sure because I don't have many asian friends.

At an Asian wedding is there typically a father-daughter dance?

My dad is very much a macho-type guy and I'm unsure if he would be willing to do something like this (I don't even know if I would want to do it bc it's such a weird thing to do with my dad). If we took out the dance would people view that as odd, especially by the American guests?

Re: I'm Vietnamese, should I have a father-daughter dance?

• I think you should go for it! Maybe your dad will even surprise you and be into it. I had that thought too when I first started planning. You usually do not see father/daughter or mother/son dances at asian weddings because let's face it- asians do not like to show affection/emotion in front of people. So I def understand where you're coming from. My dad and I are not super close, but he has always been there for me, so I feel like it's important to acknowledge who he is and what he means to me on my special day.

I think it's something you'll look back on and see it as a sweet moment between you and your dad. And let's face it, you'll only get to do it once! Best of luck :)
  • You should definitely ask your dad and also explain what the meaning is in American weddings in case he's unfamiliar with it. As much as I would like to say just go for it, from your description of him it might be kind of awkward, and you won't want that moment caught on tape! Asians definitely don't dance, so if anyone asks why you took it out, just tell them that and they won't say anything more :) For me, I just don't know what song we'd dance to...my dad and I share a few songs we like, but they're all old Taiwanese songs about heartbreak, so the lyrics would be really distracting to our Taiwanese guests :P

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards