Snarky Brides

Ew. Thank you all for opening my eyes RUDE people.

I need to rant here. I'm relatively new to this board and I lurk a lot of the etiquette posts ... It really has opened my eyes to a lot of rude shit people do. Not like before I was walking around like some rude idiot completely self unaware, but there are certain things I have read and been like "wow, wouldn't have even thought twice about that". Anyways.. Today I had my first moment where I caught myself saying out loud "how RUDE" .. All thanks to the lovely people here. Awhile back, I bartended at night at a golf course restaurant over the summer. There was a lot of girls that came and went .. Got fired, left, etc etc .. It's a restaurant. That happens. So today I get a "hey" text from an unknown number. I of course ask who it is and she says its a girl I waitressed with. I think she was there a month and we talked a little, shared some shift meals etc then she got fired and I never heard from her again. I wouldn't consider her a "friend" by any means. I did a search and somewhere along the line I did add her on Facebook, which leads me to this. She texts back "Hi! It's rudegirl from the golf course. I'm getting married too, and I wanted to invite you to my shower! Been a long time, and I would love to see you. Don't feel the need to bring anything". What the actual f. So this girl I knew for a total of a month is inviting me to her bridal shower.. And then goes on to say "don't feel the need" to get her a gift? Oh, but I'm sure she wouldn't refuse if I did bring one. I am blown away by this. Am I overreacting or is this just super, insanely RUDE? I keep staring at my phone expecting another text from her along the lines of "just kiddingggggg". On a side note .. She obviously found out through Facebook im getting married. We have zero friends in common. Maybe a quick comment or message with a congrats may have been a better way to try and spark up this whole thing. Not even a "like" on my page. Not that my life revolves around Facebook but come on. Gross. Yuck.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.

Re: Ew. Thank you all for opening my eyes RUDE people.

• *thank you all for opening my eyes TO rude people. Oops.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Eh, it's definitely on the tacky side. Feels pretty gift-grabby.

Sounds like you'll be busy that day.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • It's certainly weird! She sounds more just clueless, not super insanely rude. But that's just my opinion, you worked with her and would know her personality better of course.  
    Some people actually work the clueless show pretty well when in reality they're manipulative bitches, so that might be an option too. 

• It's certainly weird! She sounds more just clueless, not super insanely rude. But that's just my opinion, you worked with her and would know her personality better of course.  
    Some people actually work the clueless show pretty well when in reality they're manipulative bitches, so that might be an option too. 

I hope she really is clueless and this wasn't a brazen attempt to add another gift to the pile.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Eh... I might give this one the benefit of the doubt, actually.  Maybe you left a great impression on her while you worked together, however brief :)  Then, when she found out you both were getting married, she just got excited at the chance to reconnect and share, and just went about it unconventionally...  

Sounds like you'll be busy that day, but honestly, I'd almost take it as a compliment- clearly she liked you!  

• Eh... I might give this one the benefit of the doubt, actually.  Maybe you left a great impression on her while you worked together, however brief :)  Then, when she found out you both were getting married, she just got excited at the chance to reconnect and share, and just went about it unconventionally...  

Sounds like you'll be busy that day, but honestly, I'd almost take it as a compliment- clearly she liked you!  
    Oh, I like you. You seem like a glass half full type of person :) A fresh start to my day today and a fresh new look thanks to you .. maybe I was overreacting. I saw it as gift-grabby. And weird. I'll try and put aside my snark and take it as a compliment - but politely decline the invitation. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is what I'm thinking too. Maybe she's pretty desperate to have another "bride friend" to talk about things with. 
  • I think it's really weird for her to invite you to her shower. If she's desperate for another bride to talk to, she could have asked you to grab a drink. 
  • I think there is a 99% chance she is just asking for a gift, and a 1% chance she may just really like you and doesn't have many female friends.
  • I will never understand gift grabbing. After feeding these people, watering these people and figuring out a place to put them and entertain them, I certainly would rather just buy the gift myself! Only close people you really want there should be invited, everyone else is just a hassle. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The awkwardness of me actually showing up with what I assume would be her whole family there and not knowing anyone else is the stuff nightmares are made of. ::shudder:: "How do you know rudegirl?" "Oh we poured a few cocktails next to each four years ago and did a little chit chatting, haven't talked to her since then but here I am!" There's not enough wine in the world to get me through that shit show. I wonder how many other random people got invited..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• For a minute I thought this was a "you're all terrible bitches; I feel bad for your husbands" post.

• Meh....I would take it as she digs you and wants to be friends and thought she would invite you to her party. I don't see it as rude. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • This isn't really the same, but I've been invited to weddings of people I wouldn't have considered close enough friends to invite to mine. I didn't think anything of it and still went.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards