Military Brides

4th of July wedding help!

There's a few things I'd like some input on!!

Our date is July 4, 2015. We decided on an "American vintage" theme (think WWII era). It's going to be in the backyard of my dad's house, so casual dress considering the temperature then.

Each bridesmaid is wearing either red or blue, pin-up curls, red lipstick, etc. (they're all excited). My fiance is wearing his green Alphas. His best man and other groomsman don't want to wear their uniforms. So fiance suggested they wear slacks, a button-down, and suspenders or vest. They don't want to wear that either (even after we offered to buy the clothes thinking it was a money issue!). These men are his 2 best friends, went through deployments together and whatnot. I'm afraid that they're going to bail on him, considering they've bailed on every BBQ and get-together that we've had. I honestly don't see either of them driving 12 hours 1-way to make it to the wedding when they didn't drive 15 minutes to our house. Any suggestions on what to do here? I don't want him to be disappointed if they don't show (it really means alot to him to have them there), and if they do come, how can I have him tell them what to wear without ruining their friendship?!! I personally don't care what they wear as long as it's not shorts and a tank top! I want everyone to be comfortable, but also dressed appropriately for a wedding.

Any suggestions on table decor?! We have a large pavilion (seats about 40) to decorate for the reception. I'm trying to pull together vintage, elegant rustic country, and 'Murica all in the same theme! lol 

Re: 4th of July wedding help!

• Your theme sounds perfect for July 4th! You'll have to post pictures cause I need to see this vintage America look! :)

As far as the guys, I honestly don't have much advice. Maybe try cross-posting that bit in the "Wedding Party" board, those ladies usually have great advice (just make sure to put "XP" in the title). There's still quite a bit of time before the wedding so they might come around but it does sound like a shitty situation.

Sorry I'm no help I just wanted to comment on the awesome theme. haha
  • I'm picturing, because of the casual nature, mason jars with daisies and poppies or some other white and red and some kind of blue flower for center pieces. That's all I've got for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you asked the guys what they think would fit in well with your theme?

As far as decorations I have a story to share with you.  I am a 4 time MOB and retire from 26 years in the military.  I have seen several military weddings and 2 of them did red, white, and blue themes.  One used blue a the major color and had tiny acceents of red and white.  Looked great!

The other one had equal parts of red, white, and blue and it looked like a 4th of July picnic.  NOT what she was going for and she was just devastated at the final look of her reception.  She wanted something a little classier and missed her mark.

Not sure what you are going for in that but I wanted to share those with you as you think about your decor.

• This is the ceremony site (imagine green trees in the background! lol I couldn't find a pic from the summer). I was thinking of lining the aisle with shepherd's hooks holding mason jars with flowers and mini flags.

• I was thinking something like this for the tables (minus the rope)

• I can't find a pic of the pavilion. But there's another stone wall behind the pavilion, and in front of the pavilion is a pool.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2015
    This was sort of my theme, sans the costume aspect. I did Mason jars with hydrangeas and vellum frame centerpieces.

I bought inexpensive frames at Ikea, H attached them in a triad, and I had 10 tables, so I named each after a great American politician or a war hero (or both). I put the table number, a photo of them, and a quote of theirs that was particularly patriotic. I loved it. So for example, Table 2 was George McGovern. I used this photo and a quote

They were a hit! I had an Eisenhower table, a whole bunch. Individual Marine heroes, etc. If you search vellum frame centerpieces, you'll find instructions. The candles on the inside were battery operated flameless candles. I forgot where I found them, but they were hella cheap. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • As for your FI's friends, that sucks that they're flaky. The fact that they won't even wear a uniform that they have to keep, or clothes that you'll pay for says something. I'd be nervous about them being no shows, and I wouldn't want to drive 12 hours either. Is flying in not an option? If they buy tickets, I bet they're less likely to bail.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • I was thinking something like this for the tables (minus the rope)

This is more along the lines of what I had in mind in my head. I think this is pretty as opposed to what I described.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • VERY awesome idea!!!
  • Flying IS an option. We offered to buy tickets for them, but they both said they'd rather drive. So then we offered to send them money as our "thank you" since we won't be paying for a hotel (they have rooms to stay at my dad's house) and both declined. It stinks that 90% of our guests are military and currently stationed all across the US!
  • If you use flags, even mini ones, make sure you're adhering to the US flag code.

I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards