Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Maui honeymoon

Starting to plan our honeymoon in Maui! Neither one of us have ever been there. Any recommendations on places to stay and things to do? We are thinking of staying near Lahaina. Thanks!

Re: Maui honeymoon

• Options
    als1982als1982 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    My mom and I went in June.  We stayed at the Andaz.  It was absolutely amazing.  The hotel beach was amazing, plus a neat beach were locals hung out a few miles down the road.  There's also a shopping area nearby where you can stock up on cheaper booze and snacks.  We did a day trip through http://www.mauisnorkelcharters.com/.  There was also a really awesome "fourth Friday" type food truck and art festival in town, which was awesome.  We also did the "road to Hana," which my mom liked, but I wasn't hugely impressed with.
  • Options
    I just came back from Maui (and Kauai and the Big Island)!  It is truly an amazing place!  I went to Maui 12 years ago and stayed near Lahaina.  It is really nice there.  This time we stayed in Kihei.  That town was very walkable in relation to the resorts there.  There aren't many resorts in Lahaina that make the town walkable from there.

We stayed at the Days Inn which was very affordable.  We actually used our credit card points to stay there for free.  We had an ocean front room on the first floor.  The downside was that there was a restaurant next door that used the patio area, so a table was right outside our window.  But overall the hotel was good.  If you go with ocean front at this hotel, I recommend requesting the 2nd floor ocean front room.

We found a great snorkeling deal with Pride of Maui.  It had two locations of snorkeling and included breakfast, lunch, and drinks.  Pretty much any snorkeling trip to pick will provide you with your needed equipment.

We did the sunrise at Haleakala Crater, you need to get up early, but its so worth it!  We also did the Road to Hana, which I find to be an awesome drive.  The various stops you can make along the trip are so different from each other.  I think the poster above is the first person I've heard of that wasn't impressed with the road to Hana, so I do recommend going for it.  I also like the drive around West Maui mountains.  If you can rent a cabana at the Sheraton in Kanapaali for the day, it's great and they have a nightly sunset ritual there.
  • Options
    We stayed at the Sheraton in Kaanapali a couple months ago.  Loved it!  You could walk along a pathway next to the beach past the other hotels, and about a 5 min walk away is Whaler's Village....bunch of shops and some restaurants.  The two by the beach were pretty good!  Lahaina was about a 5 min drive and we had no problems with parking.

I know OliveOilsMom mentioned.....we rented a poolside cabana a couple of days.  Well worth the money (to us) for a lounging around day! They do also have them beachside, but they just looked like you would roast under them.  Not sure if non-hotel guests can pay for them though (they try to keep non-hotel guests out of the pools with a bracelet system but it seems to fail)

Sunrise at Haleakala was soooo worth it!  We used one of only a couple companies that lets you ride down on your own.  We enjoyed not having to worry about keeping up with a group....we went at our own pace, stopped when we wanted and had a delicious breakfast at a lodge on the way down.

Also another vote for the Road to Hana.  If you do it, download GypSY.  It's a audio tour that uses GPS so it knows where you are and what's coming up.  Worked great!  We stopped for breakfast in Paia, brought some snacks and had a delicious lunch at a lunch truck in Hana.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards