Wedding Woes

More House Feedback (in which I say---whut?)

I'm trying my best for levity today, hang with me.

Here is the feedback for our house:

Please spot all of the whut moments-

"Liked location.  Didn't like the dated interior, wallpaper or layout.  Not keeping on his list to consider."

Can't you see the layout from pictures or summary?  Just sayin'.

Re: More House Feedback (in which I say---whut?)

• Some people do need vision. Wallpaper and paint can be changed; I sure did. Hang in there.
  • A friend said "People expect to walk in a be all HGTV-wowed".  I don't remember being that way at all.  But H and I are much more "do it yourself-ers".  Thanks NOLA.
  • i honestly wouldn't worry too much. some people (hmo) will turn up their nose at your kitchen if it's not all stainless steel and Viking ranges. 

i know i can't always get a feel for layout until I walk through - but stuff like paint/carpet can be changed fairly easily and inexpensively. I don't know why a lot of people don't seem to understand that. I can see layout being a deal breaker if it's something that would take extensive renovations to change.

(a lot of wallpaper is a dealbreaker for me - we have 2 rooms with it, but we mainly use those rooms as storage or guest/computer rooms, so haven't bothered to tear it down. i'm sure it will happen eventually, but not a priority. i remember touring one house where every damn room had hideous wallpaper, including the 2 story living room. this place was something like 3500-400sf, and was very nice with the exception of the wall paper. it would have been thousands of dollars to have it removed and get the walls redone and painted - we probably would have made an offer on that house but we couldn't get past the time/money it would take to essentially redo all of the walls.)

dated - unless you're buying brand new construction or a house built very recently, there's probably going to be something "dated" about it. updates take time and money. 2/3 of our bathrooms have  scalloped sinks. yeah, they're dated, but we really don't care, because we'd rather spend time and money on other things. when we remodel those bathrooms, we'll update, but until then, it's not a priority. 

• Meh, some people don't have (or feel like putting in) the time and effort and want something they don't have to do a lot to.  DH and I talked about it, and between having two small kids (DS wasn't even a year old when we moved), my normal-ish work schedule and his sometimes-hellish work schedule, neither of us felt that we were in a position to take on any major work right now.  Sometimes people completely understand that things are changeable, and yet prefer the house they can move right into.  Different strokes, KWIM?

MrsO, I hope you find people like the friends I (briefly) mentioned who completely rehabbed their house.  Unlike yours, it wasn't just a matter of taste, apparently it needed some major work.  They did it, it took over their lives for a while, but now it's exactly what they want.  I hope you find people who feel the same about your house.
  • The thing is, it's not needing THAT much work, maybe some carpet, and removal of 2 walls of wallpaper.....now WANTS, sure, you can WANT to do all of it.

I'm sure it'll work out, I just find the reviews a bit contradictory.
  • Agree with Heffa. Not everyone has the time for sweat equity, and even those "inexpensive" projects can still be $500-$1000 or more, even without hiring a contractor to do anything (which is a moderate to severe PITA)...and not really add market value for what was paid.

It would have just been better to say, "House, just not that into you"

Then again, those HGTV Fantasia folks that really do want to buy will get their king sized reality check about a few months into looking and nothing interesting on the horizon.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • People are strange, but I do still think a few items in the home might take some edge off.
  • As someone that is non-handy and lives alone. I always have to pay people to do things, but it's so worth it at times. They come, they work, they leave. Plus, this is Texas, and it is not hard to find someone with skills that wants to work.

It's always a toss up. Do you save on the front end with a house that needs work and hire someone to do it or do you pay on the front end and just move in your stuff? Decisions.

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015

Just move on from that feedback - this isn't the house they're looking for.  You can't change layout and they're required to put something down.   

Before we purchased our new place, what sucked was someone commented they didn't like the ceiling in the bathroom of our "new house" so the jackwagons that owned it before us white-washed it ...  It cost me about $1500 to UNDO/replace that section of ceiling (color matched to the rest of the house bead board with trim).  Granted, it was a vanity project (it was 7 years before we got around to doing it but I LOVE the bathroom now because it makes sense where before I'd go in there, look around, and think "WTF!").  IMO, take the feedback on that stuff like that for your place with a grain of salt unless you get something like the wallpaper on 100% of every feedback sheet that comes through, and even then I'd just paint instead of ripping it down unless it's rolling.

• scribe95 said:
    I think it's very hard to understand the flow of a house room to room in pictures. And frankly if it's just a little wallpaper I would take it off and paint it. That's the kind of stuff you have to do to sell in this market.
    Not at Mrs.0 directly, but in general:  I originally wasn't even going to look at the house we ultimately ended up buying (and loving).  We only went to see it because it was in the same neighborhood as a couple of others we were looking at, and we knew we liked the neighborhood.  (I mentioned this once briefly:  it was the house with the living room chock-full of tchotchkes, hundreds of creepy Hummels etc.)  It looked really meh in the photos, and then we walked in and DH and I looked at each other and said "This is the one!" 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Heffalump said:
    scribe95 said:
    I think it's very hard to understand the flow of a house room to room in pictures. And frankly if it's just a little wallpaper I would take it off and paint it. That's the kind of stuff you have to do to sell in this market.
    Not at Mrs.0 directly, but in general:  I originally wasn't even going to look at the house we ultimately ended up buying (and loving).  We only went to see it because it was in the same neighborhood as a couple of others we were looking at, and we knew we liked the neighborhood.  (I mentioned this once briefly:  it was the house with the living room chock-full of tchotchkes, hundreds of creepy Hummels etc.)  It looked really meh in the photos, and then we walked in and DH and I looked at each other and said "This is the one!" 

YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!  We passed over even looking at our current house pretty much every time we went out to look at houses until the last time.  My mom was the one who was like, "c'mon, let's just go look! It doesn't hurt to look."  And the rest is y'know...the Conns living the dream.  ;) 
  • Heffalump said:
    This is pretty much what happened with our house.  I saw the pics and was not interested.  DH pushed me to see it in person and it WAS in the neighborhood we'd been wanting.  I fell in love with it in person and knew this was it.
  • scribe95 said:

This is why you need a local realtor.  Houses in our 'hood are going for over asking and are not even hitting the market.  Friends had a signed offer for full asking with no contingencies in 3 hrs of posting to the facebook page they were selling.  Other friends were done with negotiations 6 hrs after formally listing.  $10k over asking and no contingencies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards