Attire & Accessories Forum

Hoop Skirt or Crinoline Petticoat? Clueless...

Hi all,

I put a picture of my dress below (you usually have to click on the little black box with x to see the image). I have searched the internet endlessly in hopes of someone with the same dress saying which style and fullness petticoat to purchase, with no luck thus far. This is my first time ever in a ball gown style dress and I am totally clueless. Any help is appreciated!

Details on the dress:

'Snow White' by Alfred Angelo
Lace, Satin, Net Over SatinRhinestones, Pearls, Crystal Beading, Sequins, FlowersLace Bodice with Organza Apple BlossomsSatin Sash & Back BowStrapless, Scooped NecklineNatural WaistFull Length, Ball Gown StyleChapel TrainIvory

Re: Hoop Skirt or Crinoline Petticoat? Clueless...

• Pretty dress!

I wouldn't do a hoop in that dress.  Not a huge fan of hoops because often you can see he outline of them under the fabric.  And really that fabric, I don't think lends well to a hoop.  A hoop makes a dress very structured looking and that dress is supposed to be soft and flowy.

I think your best bet is to try that dress on with varying types of petticoats.  When you bought it how full was it?  If you liked the fullness when you bought it then a petticoat isn't even necessary.  If you want it fuller then you need to try on some at the salon to get an idea of how large to go.

• WhatawagSBNyWhatawagSBNy member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Any multi tiered petticoat with a full belle shape is great. A crinoline is one type of still tiered petticoat, but there are many softer materials that still give the fulle pouffe you want.

Hoop skirts are miserable because the bottom is literally a flexible plastic hoop, goes to oval for sitting. Those are necessary for skirts about two times the fullness of yours.

Try them on with your dress sample in any good salon. They sell them, though they are not on display in many shops that are not really large.

Any dressmaker can make one, they are easy, and then you can choose your material if you do not like what you see, or want the bottom row a lacy silky layer that will peek out when dancing.
  • Thank you ladies! This information was very helpful! I think I will try to schedule a fitting with different style petticoats to get the right fit. I was going to order online to save $$, but I think it will be more important that it fits right and gives the dress the desired fullness. Thanks again :)

• I agree with not ordering them online, but actually trying them on. There's comfort to take into consideration, too - both the fabric and how hot you might feel with extra layers.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards