Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Planning a Cake and Punch Reception

Hi all!

After much debate and changing of plans, my fiancè and I are now pretty sure we would like to have a cake and punch reception following our ceremony, instead of a full out reception.

I'm curious as to what all planning this type of reception entails? What things should I be considering? Other than the need for cake/cookies and punch/drinks, am I overlooking anything huge? Tables and chairs would be provided... so that's not an issue. But I want to be sure we know exactly what we're getting into as we begin to put this together.

So those of you who have planned/are planning a cake and punch reception, how did you go about planning and making arrangements for everything?

Thank you in advance! :)

Re: Planning a Cake and Punch Reception

• Options
    I should also mention..

The ceremony will be from about 1:30 to 2:00/2:15-ish... with the cake and punch reception immediately following, until about 4:30-5:00.
  • Options
    Tablecloths are a must. I'd also think about who will be clearing tables, serving drinks, etc. You might also consider table decorations- flowers, etc. And don't forget about plates, cups, etc.

My biggest concern would be lots of dirty plates and cups all over the tables. If people eat multiple slices of cake while there, what happens to all of the dirty plates? That's also something to consider when renting dinnerware.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    You may also want to consider non-sweet finger foods. I'm not a sweets person at all, and honestly didn't eat much of my own wedding cake. Something like a cheese platter and fresh fruit would be nice.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Tables and chairs are provided, but are linens?

Non-sweet drink service like coffee and tea?

Finger sandwiches and crudite so there are heftier snacks?

Background music?

Would you like to upgrade with something like champagne?  If so, check with venue re: alcohol policy and whether it must be served by someone with insurance (caterer, bartender, etc.)
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Food suggestions

• Vegetable Tray
    • Fresh fruit or fruit salad
    • Cupcakes/Cake
    • Coffee
    • Water
    • Punch
    • Cheese & Crackers
    • Cookies & Brownies

There reason for these suggestions is believe it or not, not everyone likes to eat sweets. And the fruit & veggies cover your guests who may be on diets, have dietary restrictions like due to diabities or gluten, or just don't like sweets. I think you need one other type of sweet item besides cakes/cupcakes and brownies & cookies are an easy way to cover that. You can probably go to your local grocery store & order some fruit trays, veggie trays & dessert trays. Order a few of each so they can be swapped out for fresh stuff as they get empty (don't forget serving utensils for each tray). You could make it up all yourself, but depending on the cost of the items and your time, sometimes it's just easier to order & pick up a tray the day of your event & everything is fresh then.

• Options
    Another vote for adding some non-sweet snacks. There are plenty of inexpensive options from the grocery store - cheese and crackers, fruit or veggie tray, little sandwiches, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards