Wedding Woes
Options

I'm caught in Charlotte's 'web'

Dear Prudence,
A former co-worker, “Charlotte,” and I had a great working relationship. She left for a new position elsewhere because she began dating the company’s president, my direct supervisor. Our company is very small and she’s been giving the president feedback on different projects. Her help makes me uncomfortable. She isn’t an employee anymore, but the president and vice president take her advice, even if she’s unqualified to give it. She now wants to take me out on “girl dates,” has offered unprompted to teach me to wear makeup, and invited me to go shopping with her. At a group dinner, she told me my boyfriend would do better if he acted “more normal.” I think we are incompatible for friendship. I don’t want to snub her and potentially ruffle the relationship I have with my boss, but I also don’t want to keep dealing with veiled insults. I feel trapped and obligated to spend time with her to keep a job I otherwise love. To make matters worse, she’s started emailing me with assignments to complete! Help!

—Not That Type of Girl

Re: I'm caught in Charlotte's 'web'

• Options
    She needs to use her voice and let boss know that she would prefer to keep the relationship on a more professional basis.
  • Options

Ugh, the "teaching how to use make-up" reminds me of the pushy women that I swear work at all nail salons.  Every time I go to get a fill...and I go to a variety of places...there is always this "hard push" to have my eyebrows waxed.  You'd think my first and emphatic no of, "No thank you,  I don't get my eyebrows waxed, I don't like how it looks," would do it.

But no, they will ask me 4-5 times.  By the third time, it starts becoming very hard for me to control myself and not blurt out, "Have you looked at yourself?  I would be horrified to have a micro-millimeter line of eyebrow like you do.  So there is no way in hell I would let you anywhere near my eyebrows."  So far, I've gritted my teeth and been a perfect lady instead of a b**ch, but it gets harder each time, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The teaching makeup thing just reminds me of Breakfast Club where Claire holes up with basket case Allison in the bathroom, wipes off her "eye shit" and makes her look more preppy socially acceptable. Only then does Sporto actually give her the time of day. It just doesn't have that same feel when you are a grown-ass adult as it did when you were 16.

Past thay, unless your job is personal/family assistant, I would be looking for another job. Because both boss and the girlfriend have a little problem with occupational boundaries.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards