Wedding Reception Forum

Open bar/tip jar ***UPDATE*** in comments

Denise40Denise40 member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited January 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum
I don't remember where I just read a post about a tip jar sitting out on the bar or who posted it, but thank you!! I just got my contract from our bar vendor and in small print it says they will have a tip jar set out. I emailed them back and told them I didn't want it sitting out or behind the bar. I told them I would pay the tips myself!! So make sure you read the fine print.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Open bar/tip jar ***UPDATE*** in comments

• Our caterer asked us if we wanted a tip jar out at our wedding, and we said absolutely not. We tipped our bartender (who also made a hefty fee for the evening) AND we told him to take whatever of the unopened alcohol he wanted. We knew we couldn't stop our guests from tipping him if they really wanted to, but we also didn't want anyone to feel obligated to do it either.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Unfortunately, things like this happen when you deal with different vendors.  Good job on reading the small print and thanks for posting this so others do, as well.
  • Great job and thank you for the reminder!

Also, good for you for making sure it is in writing. If you are having a DOC or venue coordinator it might be worth mentioning to them as well so they know it is in writing.
  • edited January 2015
    If you remember, check and make sure they don't have one on your wedding day. Our contract said no tip jar, but the bartenders put one out. DH and I didn't go up to the bar until the end of the reception - people handed me a drink several times during the night - so we didn't see it until it was too late. I was embarrassed and complained to the venue, but there wasn't anything I could do at that point :(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• If you remember, check and make sure they don't have one on your wedding day. Our contract said no tip jar, but the bartenders put one out. DH and I didn't go up to the bar until the end of the reception - people handed me a drink several times during the night - so we didn't see it until it was too late. I was embarrassed and complained to the venue, but there wasn't anything I could do at that point :(
    Well, hopefully they took the gratuity off from what you paid and didn't get it twice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards