Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Lace cap sleeves alteration question

Hi everyone,

I bought the Allure 2751 dress and I absolutely LOVE it. However, I'm not so crazy about the lace cap sleeves and was wondering if anyone had any experience turning a V-neck, lace neckline with cap sleeves into just thinner lace straps. I didn't think of this alteration when I bought the dress and my first fitting isn't for a few months (the dress comes in probably late April). I love dresses that show off a ton of the décolletage area, but didn't want a strapless. Is this alteration possible, or should I simply leave it?

Re: Lace cap sleeves alteration question

• Options
    I have an Allure dress with lace cap sleeves too, but a different style. I haven't started alterations yet but I've spoken with the alterations lady a few times. She's told me that it's possible to remove the cap sleeves completely. I'd bet it's also possible to narrow the straps a little, but it might ruin the pattern in the lace (because you'd be cutting some of it off). I'd avoid making the straps really thin, though. They'd probably tear because they weren't meant to be that way. 
  • Options
    @novella1186 thank you!! You're absolutely right, if the lace wasn't meant to be a super thin strap, that wouldn't be the best alteration. I still want them thick-ish, so that's good, and if it's possible to remove the cap sleeve and just take a tiny bit off the width of the strap, that would be amazing. thank you so much!
  • Options
    @novella1186 thank you!! You're absolutely right, if the lace wasn't meant to be a super thin strap, that wouldn't be the best alteration. I still want them thick-ish, so that's good, and if it's possible to remove the cap sleeve and just take a tiny bit off the width of the strap, that would be amazing. thank you so much!
    No problem. I can't guarantee the alterations for your dress would be identical to mine (obviously) but every Allure cap sleeve dress I tried on, I was told it was common to remove the sleeves and not a big deal. Just talk to the seamstress. He/she will know exactly what to do. Good luck!  
  • Options
    @novella1186 that is great news:) good luck to you as well! enjoy every minute of the planning and your wedding day
  • Options
    Thanks! 
  • Options
    Here are some pictures of a bride in another dress from Allure (this one is 8764) who kind of trimmed down the lace sleeves:
    imageimage
    I would wait to try on the dress when it comes in so it is in your size and you can better see how it will look before deciding anything, but I guess it is up to you on whether to change the sleeves or not.
  • Options
    @doeydo ooh that is so pretty! thanks I was trying to find pics online of examples but wasn't having much luck. that looks gorgeous though with the trimmed back neckline. Yes, I will wait to see, as when it comes in, the neckline might lay differently because this one will actually be in my size. thankyou for your help!
  • Options
    WhatawagSBNyWhatawagSBNy member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2015

Hi everyone,

I bought the Allure 2751 dress and I absolutely LOVE it. However, I'm not so crazy about the lace cap sleeves and was wondering if anyone had any experience turning a V-neck, lace neckline with cap sleeves into just thinner lace straps. I didn't think of this alteration when I bought the dress and my first fitting isn't for a few months (the dress comes in probably late April). I love dresses that show off a ton of the décolletage area, but didn't want a strapless. Is this alteration possible, or should I simply leave it?

Generally, cap sleeves are easy to change.
    However, on the website, bigger picture, the lace sleeve fabric appears to extend down over part of the bodice above the dress. And the lace sleeve edges toward the center of the chest are a part of the weave of the lace, with an edge you cannot randomly cut. It would be like cutting a knit sweater to make the shoulder narrower. You would loose the design edge.

You could cut the outer shoulder, but if you do, it would not flatter your figure as well. The dress goes out at outer shoulder to balance your hips and give an hour glass figure impression. Cut it off, the dress goes straight up from the bust, and the sense of your curvy figure straightens out.
  • Options
    WhatawagSBNy. I should definitely talk to the seamstress then and see what can be done and what can't. Not gonna lie, I don't mind straightening out the curves a tad ;) If we can just change the cap sleeves even that would be a huge win.
  • Options
    When you try a dress on complete with foundations in front of a dressmaker, private and not with onlookers who shopped with you, not looking at pictures, you may notice that the lace on the chest inner edge is just see through enough for a peek-a-boo effect, as sexy as a more bare cut.
    Or maybe it is thick and clunky and who cares if you trim it and line it?

I do not recognize your screen name or know anything of you.
    But keep in mind some Catholic and protestant church clergy, and other orthodox religions clergy, will not marry people in either bare shoulder or minimal strap dresses.

Now and then a bride comes to the boards saying, we are all set to marry in my FI's hometown church, and now I have to wear a jacket over my gown because of the revealing cut.

Your gown now would be okay. But don't alter it until you know if you are having a church wedding with conservative clergy.
  • Options

@WhatawagSBNy that's fair! I'm new to the knot so that's probably why you don't recognize my screen name.

We are getting married in a Church. It is my fiancé's home church and it is United, so very laid back and easy. I haven't spoken to the pastor yet about dress requirements, but I am fairly sure this church does not have any bare shoulder rules. That is a good thought though, I wouldn't have thought about that!

And you're right, I will try it on with the seamstress and make my decision then. I was just wondering if it were possible, so that if when I try the dress on in my actual size and am not crazy about the cap sleeves, etc. if anything can be done about them. I know lace can be difficult to work with!

• Options
    WhatawagSBNyWhatawagSBNy member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    And the main limits are finished edges, and overlapping the dress itself.

There are a lot of dresses with that cut that are either strapless gowns or off the shoulder sleeves.

Adding either a thin sculpted piece of lace type cap sleeve that angles out toward your shoulder provides a frame that shows off the neck , shoulders , and bosom, or adding a very thin just wider than spaghetti strap with seed pearls or crystal or silver beads, can give you all the support of a sleeve so a dress does not slip, and give that figure enhancing curve out at shoulder to balance hips.

Sometimes an added super thin strip needs clear monofiliment thread inside, often braided, which is like 30 pound pull fishing line, it bears weight while being nearly invisible. This can wearing lighter more comfortable bra and foundations, and never tugging a dress up.

So look at some strapless gowns exactly like this dress except the sleeve. Maybe you will add on rather that alter this. Much less expensive because there is no need to undo everything stitch by stitch before the alteration itself.

Have fun. Later today I will see if I can post a dress link to show what I mean, and find an off the shoulder style cap sleeve for a dramatic cut for the bust.
    Need my computer, searching dresses from a mobile uses national debt sized data points.
    ETA I was not clear. You would essentially just cut across this bodice to make it essentially strapless, then add a totally new lace or cloth strap compatible with the dress materials but not reshaping and refinishing the existing edge a millimeter at a time. I am not suggesting you buy a new dress, just it will be easier to picture strapless gown with a tinier sleeve with a sexy cut or what designers call SET of sleeve, the angle toward the shoulder, than reworking the other in your mind.
  • Options
    @WhatawagSBNy wow you really know your dresses! that is insanely helpful. I didnt even think of cutting across to make it strapless and then adding a new strap or sleeve. you're the best, thank you for your incredible help!! :) you've opened up a whole new world of dress knowledge to me :)
  • Options
    As a teen a neighbor saw my beading and appliqué skills and got me a job with a Boston gown maker, and for people with enough money they either custom made pricey gowns, or let people pay a fortune to take a dress an drastically recut, moving beads and necklines and resetting sleeves, things you never do if low end, you buy a different gown to begin with. The pay was fantastic, 3X what a salon would pay. Such a fun education.
    Someone once brought in an original custom Dior (mother's) and custom Givenchy (aunt's) early sixties vintage to see which could be taken apart and remade for her, to be UNIQUE, and we were not allowed to tell her the designs are perfect as is. But the designer overseeing the alteration knew her stuff. Still a crime, but what can you do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards