Budget Weddings Forum

DIY Floral Arrangements

Hi all! I am doing my own flowers. We are having our wedding at a gorgeous winery and don't need anything too elaborate. And I love doing arrangements! So, any suggestions for where to get these flowers in Santa Barbara or around there? And do you have any suggestions for me if you've done this for your wedding? Thanks!

Kellie

Re: DIY Floral Arrangements

• I can offer suggestions learned by my son and DIL, who ordered their own flowers. You will need to have the flowers a day or two before the wedding, so that all the blooms have time to open. That means you will also need to have the proper refrigerated space in which to store them. Storing them in a household refrigerator can be tricky, as some flowers may freeze on you because of uneven temperatures in the refrigerator. Making your own floral arrangements in the 11th hour of your wedding can be very stressful, and will take its toll out on your hands. Perhaps you could save money buy purchasing flowers at a Costco/Sam's Club, and paying a wedding coordinator to make simple arrangements? To get information regarding Santa Barbara specific florists, you might want to cross post (put XP in your title) on your local board.
  • I fully agree with MobKaz.  However, if you are really set on DIY, then just go with baby's breath.  You can do that quite a few days in advance, can arrange bunches in wine bottles to fit your venue and can even make a lovely bride's bouquet with them.  If you want to get fancier, on the day of, you can purchase a few dozen roses and add one or two to each bottle.  
  • We are doing our own flowers too and plan on using Sams Club online :) We have used Sams Club for 6 or 7 weddings in the past 5 years and they never disappoint!  I second using baby's breath.  And Sams has big beautiful heads on theirs :)
  • also check out Globalroses.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Check your local area for wholesale florists as well. We have a local place that sells you the flowers in bulk and then allows you to arrange your flowers in their studio and store them in their fridge until your wedding. Their prices are pretty comparable to Costco and globalroses.com, so I'm just going with them!
  • edited February 2015
    I used fiftyflowers.com and was really impressed. I made a mockup arrangement a few months ahead of time with grocery store flowers so I knew how many stems I needed, placed my order early to avoid any colors selling out, and followed their guidelines as far as delivery, storage and care.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards