Destination Weddings Discussions

Finding credible reviews abroad

How have you found credible reviews for your wedding services abroad (vendors, accommodations, planners)? I've used tripadvisor a lot in the past for my own travel use but a little hesitant now after reading about fake reviews.  
I unfortunately do not think I will be able to do a "site visit" in Italy before the big day so I'm relying pretty heavily on internet and phone calls which is nerve wracking!

Re: Finding credible reviews abroad

• I used bestdestinationweddings.com for my reviews, but I think they are generally Mexico and Carribean vendors. Checking references is a great way to do things. Any good planner in the city you want to get married in should have a website and available reviews. Once you find a few you are interested in, you can also ask the planner for any references. Hopefully that will ease your mind. As for the rest of the vendors, I'd rely on the planner.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • When we booked the Petit Moulin in France, we found lots of reviews from actual brides on other Wedding forums. I messaged them and we got chatting as they had visited the venue as well. We got a really good picture of everything even before we went to have a look. The wedding planner was excellent and always responded to every little thing we asked and super promptly as well. We also spoke to other couples who were getting married in France and they had so many issues with their venue. Maybe we just struck lucky. I always look at the trip advisor reviews for venues and tend to read the negative comments as these seem to give a good pic of what it is really like. If not bad comments, we take that as a good thing. If mixed bad reviews, steer clear.
    Also agree with the other comment about asking the planner for references and genuine reviews from other couples.

• I was lucky that there was a Hawaii board here that was pretty active.  I'd suggest TripAdvisor though for Italy.  Also, if you like a venue, ask if they have an references/reviews they can direct you to

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards