Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Add more items to fulfilled registry or "chance" it?

My guy and I are having a small wedding (45-50 guests) and set up a small registry (40 items) at Crate and Barrel. Between a small bridal shower and guests sending gifts in advance of the wedding, which is 5 weeks away, our wedding registry has been completely fulfilled, via about 25% of the invited guests. We recently combined households and don't truly need to add anything else to the registry, but with 75% of our guests yet to send a gift, do you recommend doing so anyway?

I know some people will prefer to gift money or a gift card, but others are not comfortable with that and want to give something tangible. While I am of course very grateful to receive gifts, I am wondering if it may better to provide more physical gift options that have been, ahem, "pre-selected" by us and fit our tastes, than not.

What did/would you do?

Re: Add more items to fulfilled registry or "chance" it?

• Options
    In addition to a gift registry I made a Honeyfund registry so guests can help us fund our honeymoon (which we won't be having right away cause we'll be broke after wedding planning). It would be cash gifts but at least your guests would know where the cash is going. (They print out little gift certificates saying they are funding your food, your hotel stay, whatever.) If you truly don't need any more physical stuff then you could also ask for donations to a charity in your name. Otherwise I would just add more items to the registry. It's better than ending up with a dozen toasters!
  • Options
    In addition to a gift registry I made a Honeyfund registry so guests can help us fund our honeymoon (which we won't be having right away cause we'll be broke after wedding planning). It would be cash gifts but at least your guests would know where the cash is going. (They print out little gift certificates saying they are funding your food, your hotel stay, whatever.) If you truly don't need any more physical stuff then you could also ask for donations to a charity in your name. Otherwise I would just add more items to the registry. It's better than ending up with a dozen toasters!

NO.

For all the reasons listed above.

• Options
    EAR123 said:

My guy and I are having a small wedding (45-50 guests) and set up a small registry (40 items) at Crate and Barrel. Between a small bridal shower and guests sending gifts in advance of the wedding, which is 5 weeks away, our wedding registry has been completely fulfilled, via about 25% of the invited guests. We recently combined households and don't truly need to add anything else to the registry, but with 75% of our guests yet to send a gift, do you recommend doing so anyway?

I know some people will prefer to gift money or a gift card, but others are not comfortable with that and want to give something tangible. While I am of course very grateful to receive gifts, I am wondering if it may better to provide more physical gift options that have been, ahem, "pre-selected" by us and fit our tastes, than not.

What did/would you do?

Does C&B offer completion discounts?  If so, I would wait until two days before your wedding, add the sofa and outdoor patio set you've been eyeing to the registry and purchase them with the giftcards, cash, and discount you get after the wedding.  In other words, no, don't add more items to your registry.  People who still want to give you something will look, notice it's been bought out, and write you a check.
  • Options

Thanks all. Crate does not do a completion discount.

We are having a destination wedding too, so folks may be more apt to do a gift card or a check than buy something not on the registry and bring/ship it, perhaps.

Or not, and we will graciously receive it, I suppose!

• Options
    No. it is not the job of your guests to subsidize your honeymoon. If you wanted one, you should have built it into your overall wedding budget.
  • Options
    EAR123 said:

Thanks all. Crate does not do a completion discount.

We are having a destination wedding too, so folks may be more apt to do a gift card or a check than buy something not on the registry and bring/ship it, perhaps.

Or not, and we will graciously receive it, I suppose!

I registered at Crate & Barrel and did get a 10% of discount on the remaining items from my registry for i believe up to 6 months after the wedding.   

Unless there is stuff you really want to add, i'd just leave it and let people give you cash or gift certificates.   
  • Options
    If there are things you see and want to add, go for it--but as PP suggested only if it is something you actually WANT and will use.  If people see the registry completed they will most likely give cash or a gift card.  Off registry gifts can still be useful (and are a fun surprise) so not a bad thing to chance it.  We got a really cool wine bottle holder (non-registry) that we LOVE and would have never known about. 

Anniversary
  • Options

There is no right answer for this, but if I were you I'd think about a couple of things such as: if you registered for say, 6 or 8 place settings, could you add two more so that if the pattern gets discontinued, something breaks, then you're not left with less settings than you need? Are there decorative items you love, such as a certain vase or that kind of thing? These are items you might not *need* per se but would still be useful or beautiful in your home. I say this because I'm one of those people who much prefers to give a tangible gift at a wedding, rather than cash. I will of course gift cash or a gift card if a registry is totally completed, but I think it would be very nice to your guests who like to give a physical gift to give them more options.

• Options
    I would recommend an additional 1-2 place settings if you registered for that just because it's always nice to have it on hand.  I know we're already down one plate and one bowl from our original 8 a year and a half ago...
  • Options
    @mlg78 exactly! things break, either by pets, children, or after a few too many glasses of wine ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards