Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Explaining the cookie table to out-of-towners

Does anyone have any unique/creative ways to explain the tradition of the cookie table to out of town guests?  My mom's whole side of the family is from the philadelphia area and they don't understand that it's a staple in pittsburgh weddings, and therefore, i absolutely am having one at my wedding! 

When we toured our venue, it was set up for a wedding later that day and the "favors" were bags for the cookie table, with the tradition explained right on the bag and they were placed at every place setting.  I love this idea and might use it (especially because I don't want to spend money on favors, but that is a good way to get rid of leftover cookies!), but I was wondering if anyone else has done or seen something else fun to explain the tradition behind it?  I've seen the framed poems on Etsy that you place on the table, some of those are cute too.  Our wedding isn't for another year and a half but I'm trying to get all of my plans together now so I can properly budget, so any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Explaining the cookie table to out-of-towners

• I think I'm going to frame an explanation. I don't really like cutesy poems so I was going to just going to explain

"A cookie table is a wedding tradition said to originate in Southwestern Pennsylvania a large table with different cookies is presented to guests at the wedding reception. Cookies are generally prepared by family members, and ours were made with love by the most important women in our lives. Some say the more cookies, the  more "luck" for the bride and groom in their new life together. Please enjoy this Pittsburgh tradition!"
  • alm199alm199 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    I saw this on pinterest...the pic is too big so you have to click on it lol
  • I am framing an explanation that says the following. I have some friends who are from Ohio and just don't get the tradition! I found this online somewhere, can't remember where. 

To many people who are not Pittsburgh natives, the idea of a cookie table at a wedding may be quite strange, but the cookie table is a strong tradition that has stood the test of time in the Steel City. 

It is believed that this tradition started during the Great 

Depression when many families could not afford a 

wedding cake. Instead, the bride’s family baked cookies as their Financial contribution to the wedding. 

The cookie table is as much a part of Pittsburgh as the 

Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins! And we can be sure of one thing, a Pittsburgh wedding isn’t complete without one! 

Please enjoy some treats now and fill a box for later! 

• wponc01 said:
    I am framing an explanation that says the following. I have some friends who are from Ohio and just don't get the tradition! I found this online somewhere, can't remember where. 

To many people who are not Pittsburgh natives, the idea of a cookie table at a wedding may be quite strange, but the cookie table is a strong tradition that has stood the test of time in the Steel City. 

It is believed that this tradition started during the Great 

Depression when many families could not afford a 

wedding cake. Instead, the bride’s family baked cookies as their Financial contribution to the wedding. 

The cookie table is as much a part of Pittsburgh as the 

Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins! And we can be sure of one thing, a Pittsburgh wedding isn’t complete without one! 

Please enjoy some treats now and fill a box for later! 

I LOVE this one!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

We made a tab on our website for it with a blurb and this link  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&   

Word of mouth also got people talking about it.  Apparently there was some hype about it at the wedding and my Michigan relatives all bee lined straight for it at the reception start. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards