Getting in Shape

Problem areas??? (Little vent)

Just wondered what everyone's problem area(s) is(are)?

Mine is my lower abs (pooch) and my triceps. The triceps I'm really working on to get more toned. The combat fitness class is really helping. It's actually helping in both areas, but I know in my heart that my pooch will always be there. 1) I had a c-section and 2) I drink beer. I don't see me not drinking for the next year. I'm thinking it's just something I'm going to have to deal with. Oh well. FI still likes it. (He's actually a little upset that my love handles are going away.)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Problem areas??? (Little vent)

• rockin30ish---I think we are all in the same boat! 

Had surgery a few years ago on my arm...had nerve damage and it was yucky. But no matter what I do will never have "perfect" arm. I lost a bunch of weight and since FI have been together have gained 50 lbs. Was going a good job of losing it but was in a foot case for 2 months which just helped me to gain weight in my major problem area.....my tights and butt! 

Ordered my dress a month ago....a size smaller. So I have 2 more months to lose some weight. Started at the gym and got a trainer who killed me today! 

PS: for me it is wine not beer =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've always been uncomfortable with my tummy. I think thats pretty standard. But a weird 'problem area' that I've started fretting over since buying my dress is my armpit area? I'm not sure what to call that area. I bought a strapless dress and I'm so scared of armpit fat in pictures! weird I know.

I bought my dress big, because i have a very hard time maintaining weight. I go in July for alterations so that gives me some time to amp up with cardio and weight training.
  • I'm going dress shopping next month. With my wedding being a year away, I'm thinking I may order a size smaller. I've been training for a little over a month and see a big difference already. I do know where my plateau level is. I was there when FI deployed. I think I'll only be able to drop a size or 2 by the time of the wedding.

I dropped a lot of weight too. I went from a 18/20 to a 10/12 in 6 months (my plateau) a few years back (right before I met FI). He deployed and when he got back we both gained weight and have recently been working to get back in shape.

My other problem is something I can't work on. I have a broad ribcage. It's bone. You can't lose that. I actually tried on dresses the weekend FI surprised me with a proposal. Right now, a 14 can zip up to my ribs. Based on that, I think I'm going to go for a corset back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I so, so wish that spot reduction worked and I could just work on the parts I don't like. Sigh.

I am also with @soontobeMrsKlein about the armpit thing, but I'm starting to think I'm never going to be thin enough for that to vanish. It's like fat from my chest just turns up there somehow every time I put a bra on. I'm like 19% body fat and I don't know what else to do to stop my chest, like, folding around my armpit, you know? I have a really large chest on a little body (28FF/H) too, and I know it doesn't help, so that's part of the problem area too because I don't want to have exploding cleavage either. 

I also think I carry fat on my upper arms, but the only solution that actually works for me is losing weight, because all the strength training in the world does no good if there's still fat on top of it...ugh. 

My wedding solution, unfortunately, is just to be skinnier than I normally like myself at so I don't have to look at fat arms in my pictures later. I'm not a big person so I kind of feel bad even complaining about it, though. But if a little boniness and a chest too small for my fiance's liking is the price I have to pay not to cringe every time I look at my arms in photos later, I'm going to do it, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also not close to being overweight, so I feel bad complaining, but my thighs/butt/hips bother me. I'm pretty narrow from my waist up, so I guess I'm kind of pear-shaped, which isn't a bad thing.I just wish my hips/thighs were a little more in proportion with the rest of my body.

Also, finding pants that fit is a nightmare.
  • kat1114 said:
    I'm also not close to being overweight, so I feel bad complaining, but my thighs/butt/hips bother me. I'm pretty narrow from my waist up, so I guess I'm kind of pear-shaped, which isn't a bad thing.I just wish my hips/thighs were a little more in proportion with the rest of my body.

I hear you, I'm like .8 into the overweight category so really not at all, so i really shouldnt be complaining. haha. I'm just really short so i find the extra 8ish pounds that i carry above my ideal weight is really noticeable. I think my FI thinks im crazy. I've just been super self conscious and hyper critical of myself lately. I'm not sure why. 
  • kat1114 said:
    I'm also not close to being overweight, so I feel bad complaining, but my thighs/butt/hips bother me. I'm pretty narrow from my waist up, so I guess I'm kind of pear-shaped, which isn't a bad thing.I just wish my hips/thighs were a little more in proportion with the rest of my body.

I hear you, I'm like .8 into the overweight category so really not at all, so i really shouldnt be complaining. haha. I'm just really short so i find the extra 8ish pounds that i carry above my ideal weight is really noticeable. I think my FI thinks im crazy. I've just been super self conscious and hyper critical of myself lately. I'm not sure why. 
    I know for me, it's just the knowledge that people are going to be looking at me all day and that there are going to be a bunch of photos. It's so stupid, I know objectively that my body is fine, I'm literally a size zero/two, and I still am like "Okay, but if I lose like eight extra pounds I won't be so self-conscious." I realize it's really dumb but I keep thinking of my FMIL's face if I've got a ton of cleavage or how much cringing I'm going to do if I have to look at the armpit fat in every photo. Sooooo ridiculous, though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:
    kat1114 said:

I know for me, it's just the knowledge that people are going to be looking at me all day and that there are going to be a bunch of photos. It's so stupid, I know objectively that my body is fine, I'm literally a size zero/two, and I still am like "Okay, but if I lose like eight extra pounds I won't be so self-conscious." I realize it's really dumb but I keep thinking of my FMIL's face if I've got a ton of cleavage or how much cringing I'm going to do if I have to look at the armpit fat in every photo. Sooooo ridiculous, though.

Yea I think you are right! I'm a size 4-6, and nice and hourglassy. Boobs, small waist, bigger hips.
    I've always been this size and never had a problem with it until these past couple months. May have stemmed a bit from the engagement photos, and coming to realize that everyone is going to be staring at me. And these pictures will last forever.... Yikes!

FI got me a FitBit Charge HR for christmas and it just came in the mail the other day so I think it's going to help me get a better idea of things and maybe keep me more accountable so that I can gain some confidence.
  • My problem area is most definitely my tummy.  Its the first place I gain weight and the last place I lose it.  I've even been asking how far along I am.  Not something you want to hear when your not pregnant.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amelisha said:
    kat1114 said:

Yea I think you are right! I'm a size 4-6, and nice and hourglassy. Boobs, small waist, bigger hips.
    I've always been this size and never had a problem with it until these past couple months. May have stemmed a bit from the engagement photos, and coming to realize that everyone is going to be staring at me. And these pictures will last forever.... Yikes!

FI got me a FitBit Charge HR for christmas and it just came in the mail the other day so I think it's going to help me get a better idea of things and maybe keep me more accountable so that I can gain some confidence.

I just picked one up tonight! I got the last one in the store. I'm really curious to see how much I move in a typical day. Especially at work, because an evening shift is spent hustling nonstop from 9pm to 1am cleaning a municipal recreation building. It should be interesting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the tummy part. I feel a little bit better about it when I drink some detox water- I do 2 lemons, a lime, cucumber, and a couple of mint leaves chopped and split among 4-24 oz. water bottles. I think it helps with the bloating, which helps me feel less huge lol. 

I also have issues with the area right underneath my butt. My thighs and hips are bigger, which I'm cool with and I've embraced, but the little fat pockets right underneath where my legs meet my butt just doesn't seem to go away. I guess it's helping that I've been squatting regularly again, but it's slower progress than the rest of my legs.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been using the Fat Girl Slim lotions because I have issues with both of those areas and it actually seems to be helping!! Don't get me wrong, it's not like tummy-tuck results or anything like that but it does help to firm things up. It says to use it with diet and exercise so to me, it's not trying to say that you will lose tons of pounds. It does make things look nice, though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm going dress shopping next month. With my wedding being a year away, I'm thinking I may order a size smaller. I've been training for a little over a month and see a big difference already. I do know where my plateau level is. I was there when FI deployed. I think I'll only be able to drop a size or 2 by the time of the wedding.

I dropped a lot of weight too. I went from a 18/20 to a 10/12 in 6 months (my plateau) a few years back (right before I met FI). He deployed and when he got back we both gained weight and have recently been working to get back in shape.

My other problem is something I can't work on. I have a broad ribcage. It's bone. You can't lose that. I actually tried on dresses the weekend FI surprised me with a proposal. Right now, a 14 can zip up to my ribs. Based on that, I think I'm going to go for a corset back.
    I would order the dress based on the size you are when you order it. It's easier to take a dress in than out. If you have a year, figure out the type of dress you want to order and how long it would take to come in. Maybe you don't need to buy something right away and see. 

I was certain I could lose 20 pounds before my wedding and have been working on it since September, since I have lost that amount before when I was younger. Aside from the requisite holiday eating and the occasional cheat night I have eaten right and been excercising and only lost about 10 pounds. Don't get me wrong, that 10 pounds makes a huge difference in how I look and in how my clothes fit. But I do find it is a lot harder to lose weight now, at 33, than it was when I was 25. Plus, stressing about the weight loss when I have so much else on my plate is not ideal. 

Anyway, we are rib cage sisters! I have a massive rib cage. I always have to size up in formal wear that zips and doesn't stretch, because my rib cage is so so broad. My personal trainer says I am not likely to get a lot smaller in that area, so I just have to suck it up and deal with having a size 14 wedding dress and getting it taken in where it needs to be taken in. It's gotten progressively easier to zip but that one rib area is still the snuggest part. Whatever, it looks fabulous and no one needs to know what size it is. 
  • The lower abs are definitely a stubborn area to burn fat from but if you get your overall body fat percentage down low enough it will go away (easier said than done of course).  One thing you may want to try is topical fat burning creams.  These are controversial in that a lot of people claim they don't work.  That's because many of them don't (you have to buy a good reputable brand), and because your body fat percentage has to already be down to a decently lower level for them to have any effect, and of course you have to be on a good diet and exercise regiment.  What they do is break down fat cells in those areas and move them to the blood stream.  If you are in a fat burning state from diet and exercise, those fat cells will then be burned up.  

I would order the dress based on the size you are when you order it. It's easier to take a dress in than out. If you have a year, figure out the type of dress you want to order and how long it would take to come in. Maybe you don't need to buy something right away and see. 

I was certain I could lose 20 pounds before my wedding and have been working on it since September, since I have lost that amount before when I was younger. Aside from the requisite holiday eating and the occasional cheat night I have eaten right and been excercising and only lost about 10 pounds. Don't get me wrong, that 10 pounds makes a huge difference in how I look and in how my clothes fit. But I do find it is a lot harder to lose weight now, at 33, than it was when I was 25. Plus, stressing about the weight loss when I have so much else on my plate is not ideal. 

Anyway, we are rib cage sisters! I have a massive rib cage. I always have to size up in formal wear that zips and doesn't stretch, because my rib cage is so so broad. My personal trainer says I am not likely to get a lot smaller in that area, so I just have to suck it up and deal with having a size 14 wedding dress and getting it taken in where it needs to be taken in. It's gotten progressively easier to zip but that one rib area is still the snuggest part. Whatever, it looks fabulous and no one needs to know what size it is. 
    I went into a resale gown shop and tried on some dresses with FI to get an idea of what I like, what he likes, what looks good on me. I was sad because of the size of the zip up that I had to put on (It was my old pants size). He said "But did you see how big it was around your waist? You can't lose bone!"

Dana831 said:
    The lower abs are definitely a stubborn area to burn fat from but if you get your overall body fat percentage down low enough it will go away (easier said than done of course).  One thing you may want to try is topical fat burning creams.  These are controversial in that a lot of people claim they don't work.  That's because many of them don't (you have to buy a good reputable brand), and because your body fat percentage has to already be down to a decently lower level for them to have any effect, and of course you have to be on a good diet and exercise regiment.  What they do is break down fat cells in those areas and move them to the blood stream.  If you are in a fat burning state from diet and exercise, those fat cells will then be burned up.  
    I have some ItWorks! gel that does this (It really does work. So do the wraps). I don't have much left and it's expensive. I'm saving what I have for leading up to the wedding. I might splurge a couple weeks before and get the wraps. Anything to avoid the need to wear shapewear!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've gained 50 pounds over the last few years so now it seems like everything is a problem area! My biggest concern is tightening my arms! I'm doing a 60 fitness and nutrition challenge at a local gym to lose a little of the weight. Some of it can be squished into my dress but my arms will be showing so that is a priority! I've been doing some arm exercises at the gym and holy cow... they burn!!!
  • My arms have always been big. I just don't want them to be as jiggly as they are now. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm on the taller side, (5'8), and was about 180 when I started losing weight earlier this year. After 10 lbs, I feel like it doesnt even show! The fat is too spread out lol. If i'm being pickiest, my least favourite areas are my butt/thighs. I'm uber pear shaped and would love to have more shapely butt and thighs. A little tummy jiggle I'm okay with, and my arms have always been a tad untoned so I'm used to it. But DAMN these thighs.

• I'm pear shape, also! I've come to embrace it after doing a lot of workout programs and losing weight.  I realized that my shape will never change.  I hold most of my muscle in my thighs and I have huge hips.  But I see it better to have big hips than broad shoulders and chicken legs.  Gotta take the good with the bad and see things in a positive light! 

I tried on a mermaid style gown and my butt was out of control! I ended up going with an A-line dress which hides my legs but accentuates my waist.  I just want to lose some inches in the stomach and hips and tone up my arms and back.
  • klk111415 said:
    I'm pear shape, also! I've come to embrace it after doing a lot of workout programs and losing weight.  I realized that my shape will never change.  I hold most of my muscle in my thighs and I have huge hips.  But I see it better to have big hips than broad shoulders and chicken legs.  Gotta take the good with the bad and see things in a positive light! 

I tried on a mermaid style gown and my butt was out of control! I ended up going with an A-line dress which hides my legs but accentuates my waist.  I just want to lose some inches in the stomach and hips and tone up my arms and back.
    That's where I'm at. The combat fitness class I'm doing is working wonders! And my overall fitness is much improved in just 2 months. I'm very happy with my results.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Great job! @rockin30ish .  I'm starting a workout program soon.  I have a good amount of time but the fall is always my weakness.  With football and fall treats I end up gaining a bit back after the summer. Hopefully I will have more motivation without driving myself nuts!
  • It all went downhill for me when I got a desk job. I'm pear shaped as well and barely overweight. Starting a "fighterbody" (I hope similar to the OP's) 9 week program on Monday for my 7/25/15 wedding. Probably a little late but I hope to go down 10 lbs. Keep it up, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ugh...I have several "problem areas" (which I also feel a little bad complaining about, because I am a size 0...but skinny fat does exist and I am one of them!) The worst for me right now, is definitely my upper arm/bra area. My dress is strapless and I am terrified of having that fat bulge under the arm.... Also trying to avoid flabby arms in pics, so I have been working on toning my triceps especially. 

Cheater photography tip, though: Keep your arms off your body! I know it's really difficult, especially in group shots where you feel crowded, but try to hold your arms away from your body--whether you are or are not self-conscious about your upper arms! Pressing your arms against your body flattens out everything in the arm and makes it look way bigger, so for those of you concerned about pics, try to keep that in mind and practice beforehand! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards