Snarky Brides

"Interesting" wedding invites

This summer one of my friends from college is getting married, she recently mass text a bunch of us that were all on a team together for our email addresses so she can send the STD.. Um, so is grandma going to be able to get one? So I just let it roll off, must be saving money, she just got out of school, no biggie.

Then in the same week I get invited to a FB page called "WEDDING" for one of FIs friends (FI is the best man). They are getting married this summer as well and the FB page just said to leave your address so they can send the invites.. Um, no, why would I post my address on the internet with a bunch of people I don't even know? Strange.. Love both of these girls but honestly, what is technology doing to us!!?? Before social media and smart phones people figured out a way to get everyone's address and send them a STD and invite, why are people getting so lazy!?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: "Interesting" wedding invites

• This summer one of my friends from college is getting married, she recently mass text a bunch of us that were all on a team together for our email addresses so she can send the STD.. Um, so is grandma going to be able to get one? So I just let it roll off, must be saving money, she just got out of school, no biggie.

Then in the same week I get invited to a FB page called "WEDDING" for one of FIs friends (FI is the best man). They are getting married this summer as well and the FB page just said to leave your address so they can send the invites.. Um, no, why would I post my address on the internet with a bunch of people I don't even know? Strange.. Love both of these girls but honestly, what is technology doing to us!!?? Before social media and smart phones people figured out a way to get everyone's address and send them a STD and invite, why are people getting so lazy!?
    I don't understand this.
  • zitiqueen said:
    This summer one of my friends from college is getting married, she recently mass text a bunch of us that were all on a team together for our email addresses so she can send the STD.. Um, so is grandma going to be able to get one? So I just let it roll off, must be saving money, she just got out of school, no biggie.

I don't understand this.
    She's saying that grandma probably doesn't have e-mail so she wouldn't get a STD. That really isn't OP's problem, though. STD's aren't supposed to be formal so who cares if it's through e-mail.

FWIW, my grandma has e-mail, so that's kind of a bad generalization
  • Yeah, saying stuff like the grandma comment is a personal pet peeve. It's not just older people. Anyway, StDs are not mandatory and it's technically okay for them to be informal or online. The facebook invite would irritate me, but I would just privately message her my address. I would not leave it on the event page. Social media makes people downright crazy sometimes with the things some people are okay with sharing

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• The grandma comment just came from my personal life, FI's grandparents don't have internet and my grandpa refuses to get it.. not a stab at any particular grandparent just thought that was a strange way to do it since not everyone has or uses internet (yes, I know, most of us do). 

I was mostly commenting on getting both of these the same week, just makes me realize how dependent we are on technology and social media and it is just so impersonal which is kind of sad. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The grandma comment just came from my personal life, FI's grandparents don't have internet and my grandpa refuses to get it.. not a stab at any particular grandparent just thought that was a strange way to do it since not everyone has or uses internet (yes, I know, most of us do). 

I was mostly commenting on getting both of these the same week, just makes me realize how dependent we are on technology and social media and it is just so impersonal which is kind of sad. 
    I don't know about you, but most people I know have actual relationships with their grandparents and actually talk to them on a regular basis on the phone and in person if possible...so Grandma probably already knows what date the wedding is going to be and doesn't need an email or a cheesy postcard to find out that kind of information.
  • I plan to do exactly what your friend did with the STDs. I don't have it in my budget to print and mail a bunch of stupid cards to tell people what I can transmit to them in 30 seconds electronically for free. Since a STD isn't a formality, I don't feel any qualms about doing that. That said, I do plan to make something for older family members and mail it to them, not because they're old (most are only in their 50s and 60s), but because they're traditional about a lot of things so I know they'd appreciate that more. If I only have to print and mail 10 STDs instead of 90 my budget will thank me. 
  • edited February 2015
    I plan to do exactly what your friend did with the STDs. I don't have it in my budget to print and mail a bunch of stupid cards to tell people what I can transmit to them in 30 seconds electronically for free. Since a STD isn't a formality, I don't feel any qualms about doing that. That said, I do plan to make something for older family members and mail it to them, not because they're old (most are only in their 50s and 60s), but because they're traditional about a lot of things so I know they'd appreciate that more. If I only have to print and mail 10 STDs instead of 90 my budget will thank me. 

this. FI designed a very plain but elegant STD on the computer, and we just e-mailed it to our guests with a little note! Fun tip: If you go to postable.com and create an address book, and then put the link in your STD or e-mail, your guests can give you their mailing address so that when its time for paper invites, you have their addresses! Most of our guests have done it so far (about 120 people), but I will follow up with those who haven't with an e-mail or call just to get their address.
    I have no problem receiving or sending STDs by e-mail. In an ideal world, my wedding invites would probably be one of those crazy invitation suites with a mini bottle of wine and a dove flying out of it (exaggeration....not really), but real life and real budgets dictate doing what you need to so you don't start your wedding in crazy debt!

ETA: sorry about the bolding....my bad! newbie.

• This summer one of my friends from college is getting married, she recently mass text a bunch of us that were all on a team together for our email addresses so she can send the STD.. Um, so is grandma going to be able to get one? So I just let it roll off, must be saving money, she just got out of school, no biggie.

The bolded is ridiculously common among the people I graduated high school with. The lack of common sense is just astounding to me. Most of them make it completely public so ANYONE can see it. So besides the fact that you really shouldn't be putting your address on the internet for all the world to see the page is basically a list of addresses with a date and time they will be out of the house. So dumb.

• this. FI designed a very plain but elegant STD on the computer, and we just e-mailed it to our guests with a little note! Fun tip: If you go to postable.com and create an address book, and then put the link in your STD or e-mail, your guests can give you their mailing address so that when its time for paper invites, you have their addresses! Most of our guests have done it so far (about 120 people), but I will follow up with those who haven't with an e-mail or call just to get their address.
    I have no problem receiving or sending STDs by e-mail. In an ideal world, my wedding invites would probably be one of those crazy invitation suites with a mini bottle of wine and a dove flying out of it (exaggeration....not really), but real life and real budgets dictate doing what you need to so you don't start your wedding in crazy debt!

Thanks for the tip about postable! That's like killing two birds with one stone/email. And now I want wine...
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I suppose you took your horse and buggy down to their house and asked in person for the address. 

I asked my friends via facebook/text but not all in one go. My parents have an address book for family. 

I don't understand your issue. Send her your address privately. Technology is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Without it, you would not be able to bitch to a bunch of online strangers about nothing!

Also, paperless invites are actually a good thing, because the environment is kind of ruined by generations before us. 

Technology got us on the moon, made people live longer and better and gave us youtube.

Among others.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @cakemurderer glad I could help! and I always want wine.... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards